PDA

View Full Version : Poplar

Steve Walkom
20th August 2002, 11:58 AM
Has anyone turned Poplar? A friend has just given me 5 very large pieces that will make nice large bowls. I just wondered if anyone had turned this wood before and if there's anything I should be aware of, like preferred finish, cracking etc...

jamesy
20th August 2002, 10:13 PM
Steve

My advise is to go for it and enjoy. I had a look around and botanically its a hardwood but acts a lot like our Hoop Pine ---Colour it and do what you like with it. Finish it how you want. Then tell us how it all worked.

rsser
10th September 2002, 03:57 PM
I've just done a small bowl of Poplar. Worked well; a nice timber to turn. Just a bit boring in the grain pattern but I'm told by Matt at Rare Woods who supplied the blank that it can be stained to look like almost anything.

Cheers,

Ern

Harry II
10th September 2002, 06:56 PM
I got a few planks from Australian Rescued Timber (A.R.T.) in Mornington Victoria, mid last year and the chances are...? that there may be some left especially in turning quatities, actually it was Lombardi Popular, of which I wasn't aware existed and don't know where it grows alar natuaral, maybe Lombard??? Its certainly wasn't boring though, it had many "flame" type figure in it, but imagine the flame not being red but golden with a shimmer through it. The rest of the grain patern was as the previous post suggested boringish but I can't say I find any wood boring. Its colour is a light yellow going to gold but unfortunately suffered slightly from grey mold which I suspect it is suseptable to. Jesus I hope you can get some now I've gone on about it.
Also try Bowerbird Timber (Victoria) as both work a bit in combination. Sorry no phone numbers at the moment, will search, sure I've got them here somewhere.

Kind Regards
Harry
Ern[/B][/QUOTE]