PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a box to hold ashes

BobL
27th July 2006, 09:24 AM
Folks, I have been asked to make a box to hold the recently dearly departed father-in-law's ashes. Just seeking any general advice on designs, ideas, hints and tips etc.

BTW I consider this job a significant honour as he was a real gentleman and a keen woodworker and restorer for many years and we have many of his fine restorations in our home.

RufflyRustic
27th July 2006, 09:54 AM
What was his favourite timber, favourite joint, favourite finish?

Was there a particular piece that he made/restored, that when people see it, immediately think of him?

Would it be possible to mix the above ideas together?

Yes, it is indeed an honour.

Regards
Wendy

Wood Borer
27th July 2006, 09:56 AM
Bob,

What an honour, you must be feeling very humble and proud and nervous.

I am only putting in my two bobs worth after 2 minutes of thinking so here we go.

Obviously the box will need to hold a certain volume which will determine your dimensions.

What timber did he prefer working with?

Is there a favourite old piece of furniture of his you could use for the timber source?

Is there an old tree he liked that could be used?

What was his favourite finish?

What was his favourite joint or method of construction?

Is there a shape or style that was important to him?

Whilst you are making it, your private thoughts will be about him which will be reflected in box.

I am sure there are many other considerations.

DPB
27th July 2006, 10:19 AM
Bob, here's a site that might give you some ideas. http://www.urns4ashes.com/

Iain
27th July 2006, 10:56 AM
Just as an aside, just how big should a box be, a friend of ours died about two weeks ago and her ashes were at a memorial service in a container about the size of a shoe box, I have attended other were the container was about as big as a 50 CD container.
I have no idea what a standard size is or how much ash an average sized adult produces.
This is not intended as disrespectful but I have no idea as to what size is needed.

Hickory
27th July 2006, 11:10 AM
I've seen this subject come up on other forums. I don't remember the dimension details but there is a specific size requirement. I believe the consensus was to ask the Mortician as he can tell you exactly how large the containment will be. Some are in sealed plastic bags, some are in tins. Also the box needs to be fashioned in a manner where the contents are sealed , Most seem to be constructed with screwed on bottom to contain the package. I also have seen Turned Urns which are Lidded Hollow forms and the lid is then glued shut when the package is placed inside.

Hope this is of some info to you, There are a number of places that make these on a regular basis.

Check this site: http://www.berkshirewood.com/display.html

Just Google for Cremation Boxes or Urns

floobyduster
27th July 2006, 11:12 AM
Don't forget to give some thought to the fit, and sealing, of the lid. If it is not glued on make sure it it has a secure latch.

I'm sure you will gain great pleasure out of this project. Don't forget to post a photo of the end result.

Gumby
27th July 2006, 11:18 AM
We tipped my dear old Dad into Port Phillip bay (after he was cremated of course :rolleyes: ) because he was a mad keen fisherman. From memory, the box was only slightly smaller than a shoe box and pretty heavy. It was a foul, windy day so some of dad ended up back in the boat :D (He would have thought that was pretty funny).

I think Wood Borer's idea of making it from a piece of furniture is a great idea.

Lignum
27th July 2006, 11:32 AM
Is there a favourite old piece of furniture of his you could use for the timber source?

Sorry to hear of your loss Bob. I agree with Gumby. This is a great idea of WB`s. It makes it so much more personal than just using some new of the rack timber:)

DPB
27th July 2006, 12:30 PM
Just as an aside, just how big should a box be, a friend of ours died about two weeks ago and her ashes were at a memorial service in a container about the size of a shoe box, I have attended other were the container was about as big as a 50 CD container.
I have no idea what a standard size is or how much ash an average sized adult produces.
This is not intended as disrespectful but I have no idea as to what size is needed.
Can I offer a behind the scenes perspective? And I, too, don't want to be insensitive to your loss, Bob.

A freind of mine is an undertaker. I'm told that modern crematoriums use fairly intense high-temperature (usually natural gas fired) chambers. The amount of ash is minimal. It falls through a grid to a brick-lined section below. The operator removes the ash with a metal 'shovel' into a container. The removed ash is not necessarily the entire amount of ash created by the incineration; nor is it exclusively the ashes produced by one body. Therefore, the amount of ash is determined more by the size of the urn used to contain the ashes, than the size of the body cremated.

Glenn_M
27th July 2006, 02:27 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Bob. I agree with Gumby. This is a great idea of WB`s. It makes it so much more personal than just using some new of the rack timber:)

I reckon go with this idea Bob. Making the urn out of something your FIL made himself is a great sign of respect for the man and his craft.

Have a quiet ale for him in the shed when finished.

Glenn

zenwood
27th July 2006, 02:38 PM
What a great project. I remember scattering about a shoe-box sized container of my mum's ashes under her favourite tree. I don't think you necessarily need to make the box big enough to hold all the ashes: a small remnant would probably do.

For something a bit different you could try the japanese reliquary box that I copied here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=23192) (see pics 3-5).

Wardy
27th July 2006, 02:52 PM
sorry bob for your sad loss,whatever you make bob it will be your honour and a fitting tribute to your father in law and his memory.
cheers wardy

BobL
27th July 2006, 03:10 PM
Folks, I am overwhelmed with the response to the point that I will admit my eyes are clouding over and are a tad misty.

Lots of great ideas. I will discuss with the immediate family. To add to the story, it will be all the more poignant as I will attempt to uses as many of his old tools as I can in the project.

Harry72
27th July 2006, 10:08 PM
220ci(3.6ltr) is the volume apparently http://turningaround.org/FuneralUrn.htm

johnc
27th July 2006, 11:26 PM
I think the size of the urn varies according to the crematorium, so I would check with the place your relative was cremated for the size of the urn. The volume is not one size fits all, a child or an elderly person with poor bone mass will not fill an urn, whereas a fit healthy individual (until recently) may provide to much bone for the container.

The process unless things have changed is that burnt coffin and other ash drop through leaving the bones, these are powdered and placed in the urn. Quite a neat process leaving the deceased only for the urn. Of course if there is a bit left over this may well join someone who could not quite fill the jar so to speak.

It is a nice gesture to make an urn from the deceased tools and favourite timber, it adds to ritual and leaves a lasting reminder. I completed my fathers monument, something he would have prefered have done himself only Mum would not be party to the process. Sometimes getting things done before the event does not sit well with those closest.

John.