PDA

View Full Version : The Domino: Jigs and other shop-made accessories

TassieKiwi
27th July 2006, 10:42 AM
Thought I'd start this - maybe we could move the previous specific posts here?

Anyway, The Dom can't place a mortice centrally in stock thinner than 14mm. Once you get over it, make one of these:

First decide where you want the centre mortice/s relative to the edge - this will give you the dimensions required
Do the same with thevertical position. I allowed to set the Dom to max. depth of 30mm, i.e. to the stop, for exact no-fuss depth. It is best if the total height of stock and jig is more than the height of the vertical face of the Domino.
Assume the position, use the edge pin to locate the machine at the edge of the jig. Dom away!

Lignum
27th July 2006, 11:53 AM
Good idea Den:D at the moment the tips, jigs and pics of work are all over the place.

This is the jig i use for 60 x 35mm rails cut at 30deg. It just sits in the vice and the rails slip in and Domi just slides inbetween the two blocks and locates it dead center. Plunge, all done:D Im starting to get a collection of these now and just texta the settings on, and when time comes to use them its as simple as 1 2 3:)

Rocker
16th January 2007, 10:50 AM
Lignum,

I would have been inclined to change the orientation of the mortice in a rail 35 mm thick, and have the mortice running parallel to the 35 mm wide face and cut with a fence height setting of 30 mm. Then you could cut the mortice with the Domino's fence resting on that face. This would mean you would not need a jig, just a vice and perhaps a backing cleat, to hold the workpiece, and the domino would be in a mortice that was mainly long-grain rather than end-grain. There is room in a 35 mm thick rail with a 30° mitre for an 8 x 21 x 25 mortice in this orientation if the mortice is centred 12 mm from the inner edge of the mitre.

Rocker

Lignum
16th January 2007, 11:06 AM
Rock, this is the jig i use for doing the top and bottom rails of my humungas 3mt hex workbenches.

The rails sit in snug between the jigs side rails with no need for clamping and the Domi is automaticly centered in the outer side rails. The Domi is more of a locater and Its fast and when completed with epoxy and a web clamp, it comes together perfect ready for very large epoxied corner blocks.

But i see what you meen with your method, it makes perfect sence and if it was for furniture i would give it a go:D

You need to do an example of you method and include it in the Domiphiles:2tsup: