PDA

View Full Version : New scrapers etc.

Bodgy
27th July 2006, 03:07 PM
Didn't know where to post this.

It is the result of a lot of help from others in the Metalwork Forum, re fabricating the metal bits.

Left to right (front row):

1. New monster gouge from McJings. M2, HSS. Vicious bastard, my little 1/2 HP lathe can't cope.

2. Straight edge scraper

3. Eliptical scraper for inside bowls

4. Round nose flat scraper

I don't think they are going to break.

I made all the handles, all done impropmtu, see know I should have made them the same. Reason for the odd shape is that if you look closely at the raised rim of the round nose scraper, you can just see an old nail. Naturally I stopped cutting when the chisel hit this. Hence the odd shape. Works OK tho.

Excepting McJings weapon, all made from old files which I think came from BHP steelworks in Newcastle. The square sections were marked S Barnsley, Sheffied, and the flat section Wilstshire, Australia.

Thanks for all advice re annealing, hardening and tempering the steel. See I even know the right words now.

Cliff Rogers
27th July 2006, 04:17 PM
Struth Bodgy...:eek:
They are bloody shark killers.

And with 1/2 horse motor on the lathe.... farq'n'ell. :D

Maybe the lathe will "grow into them" ;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2006, 04:40 PM
Good job!

A quick word on the handles... don't worry about it! Now, with a bit of practice, you can identify which tool is which with a single glance. Besides, as your skills progress you'll find that you tend to hold each tool in a slightly different way and will probably personalise each handle for maximum comfort in use anyway.

Sure, a matching set of handles looks flash but that's usually a sure sign of a newby. :p Gimme a mismatched set with character (and good steel!) any time.

Mikko
27th July 2006, 06:32 PM
That gouge is INSANE!!!

Cheers,
Mikko

Clinton1
27th July 2006, 06:59 PM
You complete and utter,

bloody,

mad

impractical

CHAMPION!

Can I place an order?:)
Well done, kero blowtorch and old chip fryer I presume?
That really must get you a "good shed" sticker.

Bodgy
27th July 2006, 07:13 PM
Clint

Yep, plus the homemade forge and anvil to shape the wrong end of the file into a tang and also to bash in the file striations.

Mean looking buggers, eh? Won't be taking them on board in my hand luggage

Cliff Rogers
27th July 2006, 08:53 PM
...Mean looking buggers, eh? Won't be taking them on board in my hand luggage

Struth Bodg, you won't even get in a Taxi with them. :eek:

Andy Mac
27th July 2006, 09:29 PM
Nice work Bodgy, thats a great looking set!

Cheers,

Doughboy
27th July 2006, 09:44 PM
...... and the villagers gasped in aww of the craftmanship that was on display..... we are not worthy

Wonderous work oh bodgey one.

Pete

Bodgy
27th July 2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm afraid very little craftmanship, closer examination would reveal less than perfect workmanship.

Dogged determination, perhaps. Result, not process, orientation.

Terry B
27th July 2006, 11:09 PM
Is the aeroguard in the background an indication of the mossies big enough to carry of the gouge? :cool:

Bodgy
27th July 2006, 11:36 PM
Terry

Sort of, the shed's next to a creek and with the Sydney drought, it often dries out, producing huge mossies. They tend to be the ankle biter sort, the type that never get above 4 inches off the ground, forget the species name. If one forget the socks under the steel toeys, or goes unshod, they're hell - hence the Aeroguard.

None in Winter tho.

hughie
28th July 2006, 02:05 AM
:p Gimme a mismatched set with character (and good steel!) any time

Yep looks like a damn fine effort to me as well. I've got few 'old file tools' as well. They sure take a keen edge and slice well.

I go along with comment above. I mixed all mine up so as to i.d. each one at a glance....besides its much easier than copying a whole set :D

Hand crafted, individual tailor made handles for the discerning :D no two the same.:D

hughie

rsser
28th July 2006, 04:01 PM
Nice work! Big enough to suit a Stubby - that'll have to be next on your list ;-}