PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rest?

Bruce101
27th July 2006, 11:02 PM
Hi all,

Could anyone give me a description on the attached tool rest. What they are known as? Approx cost and who would be likely to stock them?

Finally, are they worth using??

Thanks guys

Bruce

Auzzie turner
27th July 2006, 11:07 PM
these rests are used for ease of use on bowls. Jim Carrol should stock them, and carbatec definately has them. Price varies depending on quality, size and brand name. Try ebay or online, before you try a retailor. The rests you could expect to pay $40-$140.

Regards.........Joash

Bruce101
27th July 2006, 11:14 PM
thanks Joash,

I have heard of them, but not seen them for sale or in use. they look good. Will look into them further at CarbaTec.

Many thanks,
Bruce<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Dean
27th July 2006, 11:34 PM
The Robert Sorby Modular toolrest is another option that will provide a curved tool rest for bowl work:
See here> http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/sorbymodulartoolrest.htm

Cliff Rogers
27th July 2006, 11:42 PM
This bloke has them, the are called S shape toolrests.

http://vermec.tripod.com/id1.html

Bodgy
27th July 2006, 11:55 PM
Better still, get a $10 set of pry bars from Bunnies, cut them, bash them into shape, weld on a bit as the pillar and hey presto an S shaped bowl rest. Even got the correct 6 sided profile.

hughie
28th July 2006, 01:23 AM
Hi Bruce,
There are several posts in the forum on tool rest design and manufacture. It is not difficult and certaintly cheaper that buying one.
As for the shape, I have one, see link below. It works ok but like all these things it has advantages. The major one being is the 'S' shape allows you to do inside and out siide of a bowl by simply swing it around.
hughie

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29258&highlight=tool+rests

TimberNut
28th July 2006, 11:44 AM
Bruce, no-one seems to have noted that whilst they are useful, you need to make sure that if you get one, it has to have a post with the right size for the banjo on your lathe. There are plenty of brands out there, just make sure if you are getting one that you specify what lathe you intend to use it on.

Predominantly used for bowl work, in conjunction with scrapers - if you intend to do a lot of bowl work then yes a useful addition to your 'kit'.

rsser
28th July 2006, 03:53 PM
My first turning teacher was a great advocate of curved rests, both for inside and outside bowl work.

Their advantage is that you can get the rest closer to the wood, then use a smaller gouge or scraper for a finer cut with less tear out. That also reduces the problem of 'turning the corner' with the gouge since your bevel is smaller and you can bore in just about horizontal with a small gouge - useful for narrow deep forms with a wide opening like an open top vase.

Using a scraper with a long overhang creates the risk of chatter or catching, or it means you shell out serious readies for a 3/8" thick one.

The drawback is of course the cost of having a set of these rests and the risk of flex the longer the rest tip is from the shank. That means going to larger diam rod which of course moves the tool fulcrum back from the piece.

Bruce101
30th July 2006, 06:21 AM
Thank you all. As usual the info is to the point & first rate. I now have something to work on.
Regards & thanks to all
Bruce

OGYT
5th August 2006, 11:25 AM
Hughie, your toolrests are cool! Wish I had some of your welding abilities.
That 19mm bar, adjustable, to the floor... Good Idea. Saw one on the WC forum, that a man made with a wooden leg... the bar may be a better idea.
Thanks for showing us these pics.

hughie
5th August 2006, 03:16 PM
That 19mm bar, adjustable, to the floor... Good Idea. Saw one on the WC forum, that a man made with a wooden leg... the bar may be a better idea.

Al, The welding is not that hard to do especially if you use a stick or arc welder. I seem to remember the basic set up over your way is quite cheap.
Hey! if you can master wood turning , then welding should be a breeze:D

Bodgy
5th August 2006, 06:20 PM
Have a go Bruce!

$US100 will get you a 'home' type arc welder often with mask. Its really not hard, worst part is striking the arc and holding it. Like striking a match really. Once you've got that, its all downhill.

Go on!