PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a router colmn

Little Festo
2nd December 2002, 10:02 AM
Hello everyone,

I have just removed the springs from my table mounted router. When I did this the I found that it would be easy to shorten the two plunge colmns to allow the depth plunge to increase to negate loss of plunge due to the mounting plate.

Can anyone see any problems in doing this. I have actually gained a few millimeters in removing the springs but it woud be good to trim another 5 or 10mm off.

I'm a bit hesitant to do this without any advice as the router isn't a cheapie. I can't see any problems myself but.....

Peter

Dennis Hill
2nd December 2002, 08:27 PM
Ah, yes, well and other non-comital noises.
What sort of router? can you get hold of spare parts for the bits that you may well stuff-up if theory does not match practice?
Having said all that, I am performing similar surgery on an el-cheapo which will be semi-permanantly mounted in a table.
I'll let you know what happens.
Have a safe, sane holiday and a Merry Chrissy,
Hilly.

Little Festo
3rd December 2002, 09:58 AM
The router is a Festool 2000 E. I got it for a lot less that the normal price BUT even then it wasn't cheap. I imaginge that spares would be available.

Peter

soundman
3rd December 2002, 11:21 PM
Festo butchery.

Blasphemy.

Sacrelage.

How much would you realy gain?

Dennis Hill
5th December 2002, 05:50 AM
Ah, yes, a Festo. Well, I would most probably leave it in its original state. Something cheaper I may well butcher (OOPs, modify) but I would be reluctant to start on something expensive. It seems that I am showing my age and becoming sensible. How conservative!!!!!!

Little Festo
5th December 2002, 09:43 AM
it would be good to just gain an extra 5-10mm but I suppose that I'll hold off the modification. The other way to gain a bit of depth would be to change the mounting plate. A friend made up a really good plate with several inserts but the plate is 10mm aluminium so maybe I should change that.
Getting back to the festool's colmns, they are two cylindrical pipes with no gears etc, just two smooth colmns that the upper part of the router fits over. Logically I cannot see a problem BUT it's possible that my logic is missing something. Anyway I'll hold off, I'm a bit timid of possibly ruining a good tool.

Peter

John Saxton
6th December 2002, 12:40 AM
Little Festo (Peter) have you contacted Festo for their thoughts on the matter?

I would think that rather than stuff up an expensive router (that heaven forbid you/your wife might want to sell at a later date)that the purchase of a router/gear is required that will achieve your aims.
In other words buy the tool to do the jobs you want initially.

Remember that by taking the action you intend it will not be reversible unless by costly means by Festo etc.

You could cut the columns as you suggested and it may well suit your purpose ...but on an expensive tool defies logic.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Little Festo
6th December 2002, 09:49 AM
Well, I had my doubts about making any modifications to the router so I'll leave it as it is.

Hey Doorstop, "I,m" a photographer not a spella. You know what they say - a picture tells a 1,000 words.

Thanks for your thoughts on this and hope you all have a great Christmas.

Peter

soundman
7th December 2002, 12:01 AM
I think I'd go thinner on the plate 3 to 5 mm should be fine.

Excuse doorstop he wanted to be a english teacher but they wouldn't have him.

Eastie
9th December 2002, 09:38 AM
If your wanting to make up for the 5mm you lost in refference to straight plunge routing have a look at the CMT catalogue for longer bits.