PDA

View Full Version : New/Old WOODFAST BS

triden
29th July 2006, 12:17 AM
I just got an old WOODFAST 10inch bandsaw. Have tried Googling Woodfast but with no luck, plenty of lathes and bigger machines, but nothing of use to me. Are woodfast still around? The plate on the side off the BS shows it was made in South Oz. The body is thick cast alloy and the table is cast iron. The guides and bearings need replacing. The wheels seem to run fairly tru to each other. No plastic to be found anywhere on the machine.
Any info or sites would be most helpful. This is my first BS so restoring and using it is going to be FUN. I have read most of the topics in this forum and learnt a lot (i think) money cant by this stuff.:)
Thanks

DJ’s Timber
29th July 2006, 12:35 AM
G'day Triden

China posted this number in another thread (08) 8445 2577.
It's Woodfast's number in Sth Aust

Cheers DJ

Wood Butcher
29th July 2006, 08:09 AM
Triden, I think that that is actually based on the Hyco 10" BS whom Woodfast bought out. I have a Hyco, which looks very similar. Good Luck and don't forget to post the piccy of the restoration!

triden
29th July 2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Cheers:)

Don Nethercott
31st July 2006, 12:09 AM
The last issue of Woodworker has an add for Woodfast. Has their address, phone number and email address.

email is: [email protected]

Don

triden
31st July 2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks Don, will have a look.

Brett C
4th August 2006, 10:09 AM
Triden,

Your saw is identical (but mines grey-green) to the one that came with my Woodfast universal Woodworker (circa 1960), except that mine plugs onto the side of the table saw and is driven by a belt off the saw arbour. I use the table saw but I haven't completed reconditioning the bandsaw yet. It is a nicely made little saw, I think it is refered to as a Woodfast Junior. There is a limited amount of information in the manual if you are interested, mostly about blade recomendations if I recall correctly.

Cheers

Brett

keith53
4th August 2006, 10:30 AM
I rang Woodfast a couple of years ago enquiring about a lathe. Initially I asked for their web address and I was told they weren't interested in having a web site and from memory I don't think they make lathes any more either. Matter of fact, if the attitude of the company is anything like that of the guy I spoke to, I doubt whether the company will exist for much longer.:rolleyes:

China
6th August 2006, 11:46 PM
Sorry to here about your bad experience with woodfast,must have caught them on a bad day, I've been dealing with them on and off for 35 years and have never had a problem ( apart from thier new chinese made bandsaw)