PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Videos by forum members

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Gumby
30th July 2006, 11:52 PM
I thought we'd better start a new thread for the videos which will become available as we go on.

Torrent file Instructions
Torrents are means of file sharing. The torrent file itself is not one which will play the video. It's more like a road map which any good torrent program will use to find the file on somebody else's computer. Initially, that will be mine. I will post a link to the torrent file which is on a torrent hosting web site. What you will need to do is download a torrent file reading program and then download the torrent file which applies to the particular video file. The torrent files are only around 35kb.

Torrent file sharing programs can be found using google.
I'd recommend Azureus, found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/

When you have installed the torrent program, go to the link for the particular torrent file for the video. Just click on the file name, which will take you to the download screen and from there,or if you are already at that point, just hit the download button.

Make sure your torrent program is installed and then double click on the downloded torrent file. The program will then import the file and get directions to begin the download. Be patient, sometimes it takes a little while or the tracker might be down (don't worry about that, it's a bit technical just leave it running).

Once the download commences, let it run until you have the complete file. This is best done overnight. The speeds aren't great, generally 6-20kb/sec but it works. Some large file can take 24 hours but these 100MB files should be done in 3 or 4 hours.

In your torrent program, You will see a number of 'Seeds' in your display box. If you right click on the file, and hit 'show details', you'll see the progress. The seeds are people with complete versions of the file and have remained online to distribute it. Peers are those who have part of it and in the process of are downloading. They can also upload bits they have to others at the same time.

For this to work, we need people who have downloaded the complete file to leave their torrent programs running. (only if you have broadband though, we don't expect those on dial up to do this). A complete file makes you a seed and others will download from you. As more seeds come online, the easier and quicker it becomes to share the file around. It also saves the initial seed from having to upload a file many times. Staying connected and doing your share of seeding is very important. It is considered bad manners if you log off without distributing at least one copy of the whole file. In other words, your share ratio should be over 1.0

Groggy
30th July 2006, 11:59 PM
Gumby, there may be some who are reluctant to load the software. If this is the case, and they know how to use FTP, I may host a file with restricted access. Those who would like to do this PM me and I'll see what can be done once the files have been downloaded. I would not want anyone using a dialup FTP, downloading 320mb of a 350mb then being disconnected can send you postal.

Groggy
31st July 2006, 12:02 AM
I suggest people become familiar with their ISP limits. Some allow unlimited uploads and do not include the amount of bandwidth in your monthly usage. ISPs like T****** are not one of these. You may want to download near the end of your billing period and upload at the start of the next.

Just a thought.

Gumby
31st July 2006, 12:03 AM
Gumby, there may be some who are reluctant to load the software. If this is the case, and they know how to use FTP, I may host a file with restricted access. Those who would like to do this PM me and I'll see what can be done once the files have been downloaded. I would not want anyone using a dialup FTP, downloading 320mb of a 350mb then being disconnected can send you postal.

That would be fine Greg. I use Filezilla to get files via FTP but I don't have the hosting version.
If you want to host it, go for it. . I'll look into it as well.
Thanks for your help.

echnidna
31st July 2006, 12:17 AM
my isdn falls out regularly so I can't download over 3 or 4 hours.

Might be ok for you lot who can get broadband but its useless for my buggy telephone lines (wonder why I dislike big puddle?)

Anyone on dialup is totally stuffed trying to download 100mb, even 5mb is a big job on dialup

what happened to the cd or dvd idea?

Apart from that I'm not interested in putting more software on my pc.

NewLou
31st July 2006, 12:23 AM
Gumby I got no idea how to do this could you please do a step bt step on how to load a torrent into azureus???

I use zone alarm as my firewall will it affect azureus????
REgards LOu

Gumby
31st July 2006, 12:29 AM
Gumby I got no idea how to do this could you please do a step bt step on how to load a torrent into azureus???

REgards LOu

Once you have installed Azurues, you should be able to click on the downloaded torrent file which will load it up. just like you click on a word document and MS Word starts up. If not, right click on the torrent file and go to 'Open with'. Then select Azureus from the list or point to the Azuureus program. Once you've done it once, it should be the deafult.

OR
In azureaus, uder options/files/torrents try ticking the 'import new torrents automatically' box. Then point the prgram to the location of your file.

Groggy
31st July 2006, 12:36 AM
what happened to the cd or dvd idea?Bob, if you want it, I'll burn it to CD/DVD and mail it to you, PM your details to me and when I have the files and a moment to burn etc I'll do it.

cheers.

Groggy
31st July 2006, 12:39 AM

I use zone alarm as my firewall will it affect azureus????
REgards LOuLou, ZA may well affect Azureus. You need to allow the ports to upload and download unrestricted. It can also be affected by anti-virus software. Let's deal with the bridges if and when we come to them.

Gumby
31st July 2006, 12:56 AM
Just to calrify what is happening, and to repeat what i said in the other thread, I hope to add other videos to this and then have enough to warrant putting them on DVD for distribution as required.

NewLou
31st July 2006, 12:59 AM
SO far so good

I don't know how I didi it but it seems to be working .....................I'm downloading something...................& zone alarm is on keeping fingers crossed!!!!

REgards Lou

Wood Butcher
31st July 2006, 08:51 AM
The one great thing about using a torrent is that so long as it is keep seeded you can start and stop the download without it causing files corruption. I personally use Bitlord for torrents and have no complaints.

dazzler
31st July 2006, 07:30 PM
Do I put it in the beta or the VHS machine :confused:

ozwinner
31st July 2006, 07:38 PM
Gumby I have a video on how to make foil attire, do you want me to send it to you?

Al :confused: :D

Wood Butcher
31st July 2006, 07:52 PM
Gumby I have a video on how to make foil attire, do you want me to send it to you?

Al :confused: :D

NO!! http://www.ubeaut.biz/nono.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/jpshakehead.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/noooooo.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/throwup.gif

Rowan:rolleyes::p:D

Gumby
31st July 2006, 08:07 PM
The next video in the series is going to be one on how to make timber box hinges. I hope you can understand Canadian. :D

namtrak
31st July 2006, 09:33 PM
Haven't used it in a while, but I think the safepeer plugin for azureus is fairly essential. Keeps out the nasties.

Thommo
31st July 2006, 10:29 PM
Once the download commences, let it run until you have the complete file. This is best done overnight. The speeds aren't great, generally 6-20kb/sec but it works. Some large file can take 24 hours but these 100MB files should be done in 3 or 4 hours.

Hi Gumby, jus curious as to the download speed. 6-20kb/sec is that a normal broadband speed with 512, or doesn't it matter what speed you can download.
I have 2000 broadband and can download 100mb in 10 mins, would i be restricted to 6-20kb/sec because of software?? Hope this makes sense

Regards Thommo

Gumby
31st July 2006, 10:45 PM

Hi Gumby, jus curious as to the download speed. 6-20kb/sec is that a normal broadband speed with 512, or doesn't it matter what speed you can download.
I have 2000 broadband and can download 100mb in 10 mins, would i be restricted to 6-20kb/sec because of software?? Hope this makes sense

Regards Thommo

I'm on cable and get 300-400kb/s or more for some files but torrents go out at 20-30kb/s max. I have no idea why.

Thommo
31st July 2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks Gumby, was just curious, I will try to find out why just to satisfy my own curiosity:D

Thanks Thommo

Bodgy
31st July 2006, 11:03 PM
Gumby

Having acsertained a certain level of interest, and assuming there are no IP issues, why don't you build a library of these CDs, market them on Echidna's site, charge $5 or so plus P&P and you can both make a quid.

Downloading 350Mb and the requirement to morph into an IT geek nerd, doesn't fill me with enthuisiasm.

Stuart
31st July 2006, 11:34 PM
Completely defeats the purpose of what we are really trying to do. We want contributions from all and sundry, not discourage anyone because of a minimum level of quality, or for them to feel their contribution is making someone else money. I certainly won't go to the trouble of putting together any videos if it is just to profit someone else.

There are plenty of commerical DVDs out there already on woodworking anyway.

Someone may be willing to actually host the entire file, but server space is not cheap - just ask Neil. That is why a distributed network is a more viable solution. If you can't get the videos yourself, find a friend on the board who can download it and burn it to CD or DVD for you.

We could make the files much smaller, but they would be virtually useless with the compression damage, and a smaller frame size would make them too hard to see.

Some of us do work in IT for a job - mine is teaching non IT literate university staff how to use their computers, so thanks for the respect for our line of work. Just because we know how to use these tools doesn't mean we enjoy always being criticised for it. This seemed like a cool idea, and a way to help those new to woodworking (and those less new) with the tools at our disposal, and at no cost (other than time). Why do some just want to knock it?

Harry72
31st July 2006, 11:35 PM
I dont like them bit torrent programs, the last time I tried them I had nothing but trouble... killed my files, to me BT's are a hackers portal!
Im all for the DVD idea instead, but we need someone who's willing to burn lots?

Stuart
31st July 2006, 11:42 PM
I dont like them bit torrent programs, the last time I tried them I had nothing but trouble... killed my files, to me BT's are a hackers portal!
Im all for the DVD idea instead, but we need someone who's willing to burn lots?

But you are not torrenting just any files from anywhere. These are specific files created by BB members for BB members

Gumby
31st July 2006, 11:46 PM
Gumby

Having acsertained a certain level of interest, and assuming there are no IP issues, why don't you build a library of these CDs, market them on Echidna's site, charge $5 or so plus P&P and you can both make a quid.

Downloading 350Mb and the requirement to morph into an IT geek nerd, doesn't fill me with enthuisiasm.

That's fine and one reason I came up with the DVD idea in the first place was to help get copies to those with dialup who would have trouble downloading large files. That seems to have escaped some (not referring to you here Bodgy).

The initial file is only 69MB and has gone out to many people already (suckers :)) I've had up to 6 connections at one time tonight. Just imagine how many we'll get when we are able to release Neil's demo. :eek: The jointer project was more of a test than anything and done to give a bit of a start to the whole project. I think a few have gained some confidence by seeing that and thought it's pretty easy to do. The more contributions we get, even if they are only 5 minutes, the better it will be.

Downloading and installing a torrent is easy (see the post by New Lou, he got it going fairly quickly from a fresh start). Once you've done this as a test, the rest will seem easy for you as well. No more nurdy than joining this forum. ;)

Harry, I'm not here to convince anybody one way or another. If it's not for some, i couldn't care less. But I started learning about these on another forum and nobody there had problems. I haven't either. I've got anti virus, firewall, anti spam, anti phishing, anti spyware and everything else running. From the number of downloads already done, and no reported problems, i think it must be something at your end, rather than the torrent. Of course, you have to be careful what you download.

Doughboy
31st July 2006, 11:48 PM
I dont agree entirely, but yes you do need to be careful. I download between 15 and 20 gig a month. I have never had a virus. Never been hacked and never had a bad download.

I do however run spybot once a week and adaware twice a week these two find and delete cookies that are, in a basic description, 'entry' points for those who would be inclined to do bad things.

So yes it has its downfalls but all in all it is a reasonably safe way to share files.

Pete

swiftden
31st July 2006, 11:59 PM
I downloaded the torrent of the jointer video tonight no problems. I have watched half of it already.(had to do other things). I feel it is a great way to distribute a file. I have used them before in the past with bit torrent and have never had a problem. Again i say waht others have. you just have to be careful of what you are downloading thats all. Run all the "Anti" stuff and you shouldnt have a problem. I have been downloading for years now and have never had a virus or anything seriously wrong happen.
Thanks for the video :)

zenwood
1st August 2006, 12:44 AM
This is a brilliant idea, Gumby. I followed your instructions for downloading Azureus, and downloaded the jointer/thicknesser vid no problems.

Trouble is, this is reason number 2 for me buying a DV camera. (Anyone recommend one for under $500?)

I look forward to seeing others' contributions. I think the key is to follow Gumby's lead and make them really basic, and get the ideas out there. If and when I get a DV cam, I volunteer to do a video of marking and sawing a board to length using darkside methods.

Oh, and a Greeny is on the way for Gumby.

Lignum
1st August 2006, 02:01 AM
Well done Gumby on a great idea followed through.

Im very basic when it comes to computers and i had no trouble downloading it (around 30min for me) and realy enjoyed it. The highlight was the search for the missing stained peice of timber:D :D :D :D
Great stuff and cant wait for more to roll in:D

chrisb691
1st August 2006, 07:44 AM
Well done Gumby.........brilliant effort!!! :cool:

schaf
1st August 2006, 08:18 AM
gumby, I think I need help to download Azureus.
In the sourceforge site I have a page that reads "below is a list of files contained in this release".A total of 11.Do I download each one separate or where do I go next.
Its a great idea and would like to be involved.
Regards terry

zenwood
1st August 2006, 08:27 AM
gumby, I think I need help to download Azureus.
In the sourceforge site I have a page that reads "below is a list of files contained in this release".A total of 11.Do I download each one separate or where do I go next.
Its a great idea and would like to be involved.
Regards terry That list is different versions that can be downloaded for different types of computers. I chose the one with OSX in the title because that is the operating system on my Mac. If you don't have a mac, you probably own a PC, and, at a guess, you'd need the one called Azureus_2.4.0.2_Win32.setup.exe. (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/azureus/Azureus_2.4.0.2_Win32.setup.exe?download)

After clicking that, you get a choice of "mirrors": I'd say go with the one in Sydney, then you should get your download.

All this is reminiscent of punchcards and teletypes, I know, but now that we're all geeks, we need to go through these hoops.

Gumby
1st August 2006, 08:40 AM
Schaf, that link of Zenwood's is easier. You should get it from there.

The search for the missing bit of stained timber was something i tried to cut out :) But for some reason. I couldn't. Did you notice the dropped cover too. :D Also the miraculously disappearing Grr-ripper. :D Just little things to keep us all amused. :)

schaf
1st August 2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks Zenwood

Wood Borer
1st August 2006, 09:38 AM
I think it is a great idea, my concern is for Gumby and Stuart who are kindly donating their time for others to enjoy and learn from the videos.

Will they burn themselves out?

Will they crack it big time with those who want something for nothing that is bullet proof etc?

I take my hat off to anyone invloved in this project and I will gladly contribute with the limited time I have.

Lignum
1st August 2006, 10:09 AM
The search for the missing bit of stained timber was something i tried to cut out :) But for some reason. I couldn't. Did you notice the dropped cover too. :D Also the miraculously disappearing Grr-ripper. :D Just little things to keep us all amused. :)

I did notice the magical moving gripper (7.32 for those interested:D :D ) but that and the missing timber make these great viewing. Being reasonably experienced i, enjoy the movie not only for the topic, but more to see your workshop and the different machines and bits and peices and how you go about doing things. Id hate to see future vids sanitised and cleaned up to much. Id love to see a quick 2 or 3 minute workshop tour then go into the demo:D

Stuart
1st August 2006, 11:11 AM
I was thinking a blooper roll would be funny, but I do agree - small things like that do add a level of familiarity that professional videos don't have.

Not withstanding that, the offer still stands, but I will make sure they are not "over sanitised"

WRT the gripper - there is a number of disappearing ear defenders events, scattered as well - does add a layer of humour!

Groggy
1st August 2006, 11:31 AM
I was thinking a blooper roll would be funny.You mean, that wasn't it? :D:D:D

Gumby
1st August 2006, 11:32 AM
I take my hat off to anyone invloved in this project .

Put it back on, it's cold outside and you don't have a lot of cover up there. :D

Gumby
1st August 2006, 11:37 AM
I Id love to see a quick 2 or 3 minute workshop tour then go into the demo:D

That's a good idea. Let's make it a rule that if you are doing a vid, we have to have a short tour. :D Maybe the sharpening demo which we hope to get when Toolin' does his thing could have a quick pan around of all the forumites there. I think it would be very interesting.

Stuart
1st August 2006, 12:01 PM
How about, even if you are not doing a demo video (and many won't want to for various reasons), that we still get a short video tour of the workshop. That'd be great!!

Groggy
1st August 2006, 12:32 PM
Ok, I have setup a FTP access for this video. I will only provide the link via Private Message (PM), so let me know if you want it.

Please DO NOT pass on the FTP link or post it here or it will have to be immediately disabled.

schaf
1st August 2006, 01:50 PM
To my surprise,I have downloaded the software and the video.Just finished watching the video and think it is great work.
You guys are so smart ,so much talent.Congratulations.
This Ubueat forum just keeps getting better and better.
My only problem came when downloading the video and azureus told me that I have a udp blockage in my firewall.Do not know what that means but the video came through ok to hear and see.
Many thanks
Regards Terry.

Stuart
1st August 2006, 01:56 PM
Anyone needing help editing their raw camera work, I'm happy to do it. All I need is a high quality avi or other standard format file (so our options are open for other formats later), and what you want edited, or just an overall instruction to finish it off (I'll go through, edit out coughs, parts that don't need to be there etc).

So don't spend too much time worrying about editing your footage as you shoot it in-camera. Keep the camera rolling, and we will sort it out in post-production! So for example, if you were clamping something up for a glueing demo, and you drop the lot, don't worry about backing the tape up etc, just start that part again

Probably best to get it to me on DVD (as 1 hour raw avi footage is about 4 dvds! - 12GB), so PM me for an address. Alternatively, if you have a DVD camera, you can send me the DVD from that or for MiniDV cameras, send me the tape and I'll send them back once I have the footage off it.
Forgot to mention, I can also handle VHS and Video 8 if you have a non-digital (aka analog aka old) camera.

Oh, and one other thing. If you don't have a video camera, a good webcam will produce a usable result.

zenwood
1st August 2006, 02:30 PM
I loved it when Gumby was poking around for his nice piece of stained timber, then realised he'd used it as firewood!. That's the type of thing I do:). Also didn't know he kept his cars in the shed. Yes, I think a shed tour, even if only a 360 degree pan, should be obligatory for these vids. Should it go in the Code?

Forgot to mention, I can also handle VHS and Video 8 if you have a non-digital (aka analog aka old) camera.
Cool. That should make things easier.

Gumby
1st August 2006, 02:52 PM
To my surprise,I have downloaded the software and the video.Just finished watching the video and think it is great work.
You guys are so smart ,so much talent.Congratulations.
This Ubueat forum just keeps getting better and better.
My only problem came when downloading the video and azureus told me that I have a udp blockage in my firewall.Do not know what that means but the video came through ok to hear and see.
Many thanks
Regards Terry. Sometimes i get firewall problems and I have no idea how to fix them. I've trawled around the Azureus site and it's all a bit beyond me. However, if it worked, just ignore the message. Glad you liked the video. Now you're in good shape to get the really good stuff. That one was just the cartoon before the main movie. :D

r, even if only a 360 degree pan, should be obligatory for these vids. Should it go in the Code? .
consider it in ! :)

That's exactly what I used, an old Video camera, analog style. I just plugged it into the DVD recorder and copied it to the hard drive. From there to a disk and then to the computer. The software to shrink the file is freely available on the internet. As Stuart said, if you want to just send us the tape, we can do the rest and send it back with a copy of your video for approval before it gets posted as a torrent.
So why not get out the camera or borrow one and do a simple shed tour. 5 minutes is plenty.

Groggy
1st August 2006, 07:27 PM
Feedback on the FTP speed is that it takes about 45mins to d/l the 60mb file. This will vary depending on connection type, amount of concurrent users, whether I crimp the router on port 21 so I can get my email etc. Overall, not a bad option for those who need it.

Gumby
2nd August 2006, 06:48 PM
New videos are now available.
1. A shop tour of DPB's workshop including a look at his home made sliding mitre/crosscut jig.

2. An instructional video on making your own timber box hinges.

Hope you enjoy them.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2006, 07:17 PM
Feedback on the FTP speed is that it takes about 45mins to d/l the 60mb file. This will vary depending on connection type, amount of concurrent users, whether I crimp the router on port 21 so I can get my email etc. Overall, not a bad option for those who need it.

And thank you for providing the FTP link, Groggy. :)

Gumby, for various reasons torrents just aren't an option for me. I imagine I'm not the only one...

Gumby
2nd August 2006, 07:36 PM
Gumby, for various reasons torrents just aren't an option for me. I imagine I'm not the only one...

Which is why Groggy is providing the ftp link. Once he gets the files, I'm sure he'll let everybody know that they are available via that route. But seeing as I have about 8 peers connected to my computer right now, and I only posted the links an hour ago, I'd say the torrents are working beautifully.

Don't forget to keep seeding people :)

ozwinner
2nd August 2006, 07:41 PM
. I imagine I'm not the only one...

Torrents lost me when it asked for my firewall to be turned off.

Al :)

Groggy
2nd August 2006, 07:56 PM
I am downloading the files now and will make them available as soon as is practical. 10-20 mins for the bedlam avi and probably tomorrow for the timber box hinge. This can vary widely and is just a guess really. Anyway, those with the FTP link can keep peeking and if it's there go for it. If others want the link please PM me.

Edit:
02 Aug 7:15pm - Barton's Bedlam available on FTP
03 Aug 7:30am - Timber Box Hinge.avi available on FTP.

Groggy
2nd August 2006, 08:21 PM
Torrents lost me when it asked for my firewall to be turned off.

Al :)Al, you do not need to shut down the firewall, you only need to allow access to a port of your choosing for azureus.exe. Even Nortons will allow that ;).

Stuart
2nd August 2006, 09:20 PM
Need some seeds!

I'll leave it running overnight, but I need to get it first!

Gumby
2nd August 2006, 09:31 PM
Need some seeds!

I'll leave it running overnight, but I need to get it first!
I agree Stu, we need people to stay connected. I've got 10 peers hanging off me at the moment which is slowing my system down something chronic. So I can't post much tonight (some would say Yippee !!! :D ) But, I'm happy to do it AS LONG AS YOU STAY CONNECTED AND SEED once you have the file. It's not much to ask, surely. If this doesn't happen and you just keep downloading and logging off then the whole thing will collapse.

The whole point of using torrents is so that we all share it around. This will be important when I'm able to post Neil's demo. I'm sure that one will be in big demand. It's not that I don't have the bandwidth, it's just the speed problems i get while seeding too many.

I'd be interested in feedback on DPB's shop tour too. Is that what you would like from others ?

Groggy
2nd August 2006, 10:12 PM
Gumby, I've just made all my bandwidth available so hopefully it will speed up a little by taking some load off of you. I think next time it may be wise to FTP the file to me and Stu so we can host it simultaneously.

Livin' and learnin'

Stuart
2nd August 2006, 10:21 PM
I've got Barton's Bedlam seeding at the moment. There is only 1 seed for the jointer vid, so it is taking about 6 hours!

The end of Barton's Bedlam is quite funny!

Groggy
2nd August 2006, 10:47 PM
I've got Barton's Bedlam seeding at the moment. There is only 1 seed for the jointer vid, so it is taking about 6 hours!

The end of Barton's Bedlam is quite funny!I've put the jointer vid back up
as a seed, I thought most had that one.

I liked the tour of Don's shop, nice sled setup!

Gumby
2nd August 2006, 10:47 PM
Gumby, I've just made all my bandwidth available so hopefully it will speed up a little by taking some load off of you. I think next time it may be wise to FTP the file to me and Stu so we can host it simultaneously.

Livin' and learnin'

That's probably a good idea Groggy. I have sent a copy to my work computer and it is seeding also (not the box joint vid, just the shop tour) . I'm not getting any downloads on the shop tour now that some others are seeding. The box hinge vid is the one which takes time but I'll be running all night so by tomorrow we should get some help.

As you said, we live and learn. Trial and error but well worth perservering with in my opininion. Once people can see how easy it is to share this stuff usuing torrents, we will hopefully be able to build up our library. I'd love a quick 5 min tour through some workshops just for a start. As Lignum said, it's interesting to see how others do things and are set up.

I've put the jointer vid back up and it's seeding again too. :)

Billylad
2nd August 2006, 10:59 PM
Stuart and gumpy, and all the of rest of you guys, i would like to say thanks for all your effort and time that you are putting into this.Thats why its the best forum in the world

Groggy
2nd August 2006, 11:00 PM
As you said, we live and learn. Trial and error but well worth perservering with in my opininion. Once people can see how easy it is to share this stuff usuing torrents, we will hopefully be able to build up our library. I'd love a quick 5 min tour through some workshops just for a start. As Lignum said, it's interesting to see how others do things and are set up.By my reckoning the box vid should multi-seed in less than an hour, provided no more jump on your bandwidth.

As for the shop tours, it would be fun to hit the road with a camera and take some footage of shops around MLB. I suggest it may be an idea to anonymise them though, there are some *****'s out there.

While I think of it, having a video of your shop is a great way to know what you have for insurance purposes.

Gumby
2nd August 2006, 11:34 PM
At the moment I'm showing 21 people online, 15 connected to me. What i like about this system is that i've uploaded about 130MB of the box joint video since it started a few hours ago but there are people downloading it who are also sharing their copies at the same time. In other words, there's about 700MB of that file out there now but only 130MB from the original source, me. That's what i prefer about torrents. Can you imagine how i'd be going as an ftp server, having to send all that out at once?

Further to suggestions about new vids, I'd love to see a basic bandsaw box vid. Nothing major, just the basics. Any takers ?

(I'm logging off for the night, waiting 2 minutes to make one post isn't my idea of fast broadband :D ) Thanks to DPB for the effort today, much appreciated and we had fun doing it too. ;)

Stuart
2nd August 2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah - that's a tough one. I was thinking of the security aspects myself. The world has too many wankers in it.

I'm seeding the Barton Bedlam and Thicknesser at the moment. Still downloading the box hinge With 75% done, there is still an hour to go.

Cliff Rogers
2nd August 2006, 11:56 PM
Gumby said...

I'd love to see a bandsaw box vid.
How about this?

It's not a vid but it is a pick of a bandsaw box. :D
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=15382&d=1131628001

Groggy
3rd August 2006, 08:47 AM
All three files now available on FTP

Stuart
3rd August 2006, 01:26 PM
Gumby - do we have a ETA for my Ubeaut video of Neil doing his thing?

Gumby
3rd August 2006, 01:40 PM
Gumby - do we have a ETA for my Ubeaut video of Neil doing his thing?
He has a copy. Waiting for him to have a look and give the OK.

I_wanna_Shed
3rd August 2006, 01:55 PM
All three files now available on FTP

Hi Groggy,

I can't see a post that lists the FTP location for these files. Where abouts are they?

Cheers,
Nathan.

Groggy
3rd August 2006, 02:16 PM
Hi Groggy,

I can't see a post that lists the FTP location for these files. Where abouts are they?
Nathan, an earlier post in this thread by me states that I would like a PM (private message) if you would like the link as I do not want it posted in a public forum due to bandwidth issues. I have sent it to you via PM, so please check your messages.

Groggy
3rd August 2006, 02:18 PM
Gumby - do we have a ETA for my Ubeaut video of Neil doing his thing?Wanna re-phrase that? :eek:

zenwood
3rd August 2006, 02:30 PM
Watched DPB's video last night. That mitre sled on the tablesaw looks very nice, and the foot-switch for the drill press too -- wish I had one.

What i like about this system is that i've uploaded about 130MB of the box joint video since it started a few hours ago but there are people downloading it who are also sharing their copies at the same time. In other words, there's about 700MB of that file out there now but only 130MB from the original source, me. That's what i prefer about torrents.

It could be that I'm running azureus at the wrong times, but I always seem to have more upload bandwidth than download bandwidth (i.e. I'm giving much more than I get). Given that I have much more stringent account limits on uploading than downloading, I'd be reluctant to keep it up and running. Or am I missing something?

DPB
3rd August 2006, 02:58 PM
Watched DPB's video last night. That mitre sled on the tablesaw looks very nice, and the foot-switch for the drill press too -- wish I had one.
I can't take credit for either of these items, ZW.:)
http://tinyurl.com/ej93x
http://tinyurl.com/zf8w4

Groggy
3rd August 2006, 03:00 PM

Me too! I have the same saw and think it is definitely on the cards to build one.

It could be that I'm running azureus at the wrong times, but I always seem to have more upload bandwidth than download bandwidth (i.e. I'm giving much more than I get). Given that I have much more stringent account limits on uploading than downloading, I'd be reluctant to keep it up and running. Or am I missing something?If I was writing the software I would give a higher percentage to upload than download, otherwise the system would choke itself - which it does do if there are not enough seeders. For those who, for whatever reasons, do not want to upload, it would be better to let the seeders download first, then - when three or more are seeding - start to download.

Stuart
3rd August 2006, 03:14 PM
Azureus does just that. If you decrease the amount of seeding that you are prepared to do, and/or choke the speed, then your download is also restricted. If you say no seeding at all, you find that your download capacity is zero.

On the other hand, if you are heading off the computer for a while, why not ramp up the amount you are prepared to seed to max?

as to rephasing about Neil doing his 'thang', I thought I'd leave it as is ;) (Knew someone would pick up on it!)

martrix
3rd August 2006, 03:27 PM
Hi Gumby, just managed to get Az working and have downloaded the jointer/thicknessing vid. First off, conrgats on this idea and getting it moving, it is brilliant and I might look into what vid I can put up.
Man that ML-392 sucker is noisy!
This is just a suggestion to other forumites who are going to do a vid. To make the vid as short as possible in order to make the file size minimal, Windows XP has a program called Movie Maker which is easy to use for editing your video....well donehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif..........I hate the internet now, I spend more time on it than flippin' woodwork:rolleyes:

Gumby
3rd August 2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks to all the seeds, things are still humming along. :)

There have been many copies of all the files downloaded so we are officially off the ground and flying. Hope there's more to come from you budding Speilbergs out there.

I've attached the screen shot from here. The seeds are those with full copies, the peers are downloading.

Zed
3rd August 2006, 08:08 PM
i've just spread my seed... for a few hours anyway....

El Gumbino (should we call him "Dirk Diggler" the moive star) has convinced me I should make a vid about setting jointer knives with magnets. I will do so this weekend, Jane has promised to wield the camera. I'll be the one eating banana's...

Serious question 1: Should we insert some copyright ? I personally dont want people using our creative knowledge or making money using our intellectual property - ie: Private use only.:mad:

Serious question 2: Why did gumby not wear a green shirt in his jointer vid ? disappointed I am...:(

Groggy
3rd August 2006, 08:09 PM
A few stats:

PC1 - 732.17mb (share ratio 11.038!)
PC2 - Downloading other stuff...
PC3 - 330mb
Server - FTP about 1gb as far as I can tell, that is about four people downloading the three files.

I hope you lot recycle those pixels and bytes so they're not wasted!

Gumby
3rd August 2006, 08:58 PM
A few stats:

PC1 - 732.17mb (share ratio 11.038!)
PC2 - Downloading other stuff...
PC3 - 330mb
Server - FTP about 1gb as far as I can tell, that is about four people downloading the three files.

I hope you lot recycle those pixels and bytes so they're not wasted!

My share ratio is like that too Groggy. i took the jointer vid down for a day or so and only put it back up this morning so that is just today's upload. Ive had to take the Bedlam and Jointer vids back down but they had lots of seeds anyway. I get 3Gig/month and have used up over 1 Gig already :eek: I need to save the rest for neil's vid and hopefully an upcoming new release entitled 'Monkeying around with a Jointer' :D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd August 2006, 09:09 PM
After FTPing some 20MB of the hinge vid quickly, I hit a speed bump in the information superhighway. Remaining time to DL the rest? 18hours! :eek:

So, I cancelled and hope the FTP site supports resume. [fingers Xed] Otherwise, I just wasted 20MB of Groggy's rations! :o My apologies, if that's the case, Greg... but I'm assuming your server's working it's little buns off?

schaf
3rd August 2006, 09:42 PM
If you blokes are not to busy with this new show.Could someone please explain what this FTP means.
regards Terry

LeftyJim
3rd August 2006, 09:45 PM
Hey, great work chaps. I enjoyed watching the videos.

My ADSL account allows unlimited uploading, so I'll keep seeding the three I have currenly, and any others that come along later.

As martrix said, the motor noise from the ML-392 is pretty amazing :eek:
Is that due to it not having an induction motor ?

Keep those videos coming !

Stuart
3rd August 2006, 10:03 PM
i've just spread my seed... for a few hours anyway....
Eeewwww

El Gumbino (should we call him "Dirk Diggler" the moive star) has convinced me I should make a vid about setting jointer knives with magnets. I will do so this weekend, Jane has promised to wield the camera. I'll be the one eating banana's...
Brilliant - perfect timing. I know my new Jet has 1 blade a fraction high, so this will be very useful!

Serious question 1: Should we insert some copyright ? I personally dont want people using our creative knowledge or making money using our intellectual property - ie: Private use only.:mad:
Probably - perhaps all videos should have a disclaimer/copyright notice placed at the start. (Disclaimer - as in safety guards often removed for clarity, these are suggestions and not necessarily best practice etc)

Serious question 2: Why did gumby not wear a green shirt in his jointer vid ? disappointed I am...:( I offered him one of my orange ones, but he didn't want a part of it. Do you want to borrow one for your video?

Gumby
3rd August 2006, 10:04 PM
Hey, great work chaps. I enjoyed watching the videos.

My ADSL account allows unlimited uploading, so I'll keep seeding the three I have currenly, and any others that come along later.

As martrix said, the motor noise from the ML-392 is pretty amazing :eek:
Is that due to it not having an induction motor ?

Keep those videos coming !

It's pretty noisy but i think it's enhanced a bit by the dynamic type microphone. If you listen to the sound of tools being placed down or dropped, they come across very loud too.

With the FTP problem, i can;t see why you have to start the whole download again. I was ftp-ing those Ocean race files from a source overseas using Filezilla and it would recommence at the lost point if it dropped out. Having to restart the whole thing doesn't sound right to me. But then again, if you won't use torrents, I have no sympathy :D

My ADSL account allows unlimited uploading, so I'll keep seeding the three I have currenly, and any others that come along later. !

That's much appreciated Jim, thank you.

Stuart
3rd August 2006, 10:05 PM
If you blokes are not to busy with this new show.Could someone please explain what this FTP means.
regards Terry
File transfer protocol. FTP servers are set up specifically to transfer files, rather than host web pages.

Groggy
3rd August 2006, 10:06 PM
regards TerryTerry, some of us hark back to the earlier days of computing where things were done by steam. To transfer stuff around you need some sort of transfer protocol, FTP means File Transfer Protocol e.g.

ftp://clickhere.com/virusfile.exe

Another method is to use http or https (secure) which is Hyper Text Transfer Protocol.

I expect some of the ancients to arc up and talk in esoteric language now, Kermit anyone?

Oh yeah, the simple meaning is that it enables you to create a direct download across the internet or a network.

Groggy the geek.

Sprog
3rd August 2006, 10:12 PM
Azureus does just that. If you decrease the amount of seeding that you are prepared to do, and/or choke the speed, then your download is also restricted. If you say no seeding at all, you find that your download capacity is zero.

And if your overall share ratio is less then 0.9 then your download speed will be reduced.
Just another incentive to share the files around and not be selfish by logging off after you have got the files.

Gumby
3rd August 2006, 10:22 PM
Serious question 1: Should we insert some copyright ? I personally dont want people using our creative knowledge or making money using our intellectual property - ie: Private use only.:mad

maybe at the start of each video we should say that these are freely available on our site, but then again a pirate will only edit that out anyway.:( I think we have to take the good with the bad, I don't think anybody is going to become the next Bill Gates by selling our stuff. :D

My feeling are that we are doing this for the benefit of forum members and it entails some sort of risk. I tried using a torrent file which wasn't sent to a trorrent hosting site like Mininova or Torrentspy and it doesn't seem to work. So that means these things are freely available worldwide and if you look at the Mininova link again, you'll see how many times these torrents have been downloaded - LOTS!!!

If there was a way to keep this in house, I'm all for it but i don't know that there is. My computer skills stop at that point. FTP is OK if only a few use it but there's no way I could have distributed the files out to everybody so quickly without torrents. Look at the problem Skew has had already trying FTP. You don't get that with a torrent system. Maybe Usenet is an option but I think you have to pay a monthly fee to stay on it. Torrents are free software and despite all the negativity they have caused me no harm in months of using the system.

Any other suggestions because this is obviously very popular. Or are we doing all we can really do in the way of distribution.

(PS, I can put them on Limewire if you like :rolleyes: )

Stuart
3rd August 2006, 10:27 PM
What's that video sharing site in the green guide today? That may be another way (an additional way) of getting the file out there. Dunno - not sure if it is good or not, it is just another option to consider.

Torrent seems to be the best for overall speed (so long as there is enough seeding!)

Gumby
3rd August 2006, 10:38 PM
What's that video sharing site in the green guide today? That may be another way (an additional way) of getting the file out there. Dunno - not sure if it is good or not, it is just another option to consider.

Torrent seems to be the best for overall speed (so long as there is enough seeding!)
Don't get the green Guide because i wouldn't buy a left wing rag like The Age:D

You don't mean youtube.com do you ?

Groggy
3rd August 2006, 10:42 PM
If there was a way to keep this in house, I'm all for it but i don't know that there is. My computer skills stop at that point. FTP is OK if only a few use it but there's no way I could have distributed the files out to everybody so quickly without torrents. Look at the problem Skew has had already trying FTP. You don't get that with a torrent system. Maybe Usenet is an option but I think you have to pay a monthly fee to stay on it. There is an option in the options/Tracker/Server to apply a password, that will help until a few seeds have it. At least until someone sends to someone in the USA a "pssst, this password is a secret, don't pass it on :rolleyes:". If we download too much we may pop up on the popular downloads list - then we ARE in trouble!

The FTP has been an issue for Skew because of me and what I have been up to today. Unfortunately I have been downloading on two PCs and uploading on three - I only have one router. Added to that, I have had to use my server (MMC reader/writer) to upload a half gb to my phone in addition to it being the FTP server and also uploading another file on Azureus, so the CPUs in my house are supplying the heat for the evenings comfort. It should be better now, sorry Skew :o.

Gumby
3rd August 2006, 11:08 PM
I think I may have just hit on a solution. When I create the torrent file, I have the option of making it 'decentralised'. This means you have to have Azureus to download it BUT it isn't posted on any website for all and sundry to get. :D I can just email the torrent to those who request it and they would be forum members only.
I just tried it now and emailed a new decentralised torrent to my work computer which installed it and commenced downloading from my home computer straight away, bypassing the Mininova or Torrentspy sites completely. (I can control the work comp from home using LogmeIn)

So, if we make decentralised tracking and we all get Azureus, we don't have to share anything with anybody else but those who have the email. Of cousre, what happens to the files once they are on somebody else's computer, we have no control over, even if they are forum members.

Is that going to be OK? It just means if you use torrents, you have to have Azureus. You can request the torrent file from me or anybody else who makes one which we can email to you (only very small files so dial up is no issue) and then proceed as normal. You can still FTP from Groggy if you prefer.

This could be the answer.

zenwood
3rd August 2006, 11:34 PM

Seems to me that the copyright that applies to this entire forum covers these videos as well. Neil owns everything:

This Bulletin Board is owned and operated by U-Beaut Enterprises
Copyright © 1999 - 2006 U-Beaut Enterprises. All rights reserved.
No part of these forums may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior consent of copyright owner U-Beaut Enterprises ([email protected])

(See bottom of page, and the pic, last line.)

LeftyJim
3rd August 2006, 11:57 PM
Re the copyright issue, it is my understanding that all works are granted copyright by default to the author at the time of item creation (in Australia).

They haven't been published on the forums, only information on how to obtain a copy has been posted - so I don't believe any copyright has been transferred.

I think that it would still be a good idea at least to put some contact details at the end of each video (just an email address, throwaway if necessary to stop spam) so that if anyone wants to legitamately do something with the video, at least they can contact the author to discuss.

Stuart
4th August 2006, 12:10 AM
Don't get the green Guide because i wouldn't buy a left wing rag like The Age:D

You don't mean youtube.com do you ?

That was it - don't get the Age either - was hearing about the article on the radio this morning.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2006, 01:10 AM
I expect some of the ancients to arc up and talk in esoteric language now, Kermit anyone?

Yoohoo-2U2! :)

Ahhh... the heady days of such file xfer protocols as ZedZip, Zmodem (and the X&Ymodem variants) and who can forget the Hydra bunfights when they dared to step outside the FTSC compliance. :eek:

Oh, the good ol' days when 'twas simple to be a 'puta nerd. OK, OK... I'm heading back under my rock, no need to shove...

Stuart
4th August 2006, 02:47 AM
I had an idea for a simple project recently (was actually thinking of kids toys), and it has taken to now to remember it, and realise how suitable it would be for many as we embark on a new way of communicating our various 'talents'.

With a bit of MDF, and blackboard paint, we have

http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/2e/c2/54_1_b.JPG

Stuart
4th August 2006, 03:02 AM
It may seem like a severe case of overkill, but when I have the inclination (and the energy), I prefer to use more than 1 camera, and separate audio recording devices, and getting all these synchronised is a PITA if you don't use a clapper board.

(I videoed my own wedding, with the help of a couple of friends, and at any one time had 4 video cameras and 2 separate audio recorders going. Getting the resulting footage all synchronised before choosing what view to use when was a right nightmare, as I didn't have a clapper board. I ended up using camera flashes (ie from people taking photos) to synchronise the tracks.

What would have been thousands of times better would have been getting all the cameras looking at the same clapper board, then without stopping any camera, repositioning them and leaving them rolling. Would then have taken seconds to synchronise all the tracks rather than the 100 odd hours! (My friends tried to do the editing in-camera, constantly stopping and starting the recording, rather than just leaving the camera rolling, so each time they stopped then started, was another synchronisation that was needed. Luckily people take a lot of photos at weddings so I had plenty of camera flash instances to synchronise with!))

Wild Dingo
4th August 2006, 03:22 AM
DAmn I do get confused!! :o

So Im presently downloading the Azureaus 2.4.0 model and am pretty much done... once its down and installed what then? Do I have to download and install this torenz thing? then do I have to email somebuggar to get the ruddy files? or are they still available at the unbeat link someone put up?

Gaaaaaaaaaak I hate technoshyte!! :mad: But Im game for anything... ahem once? ;) heck I will even have a go at some movie takin... hey I could meet up with Rampserdoosy and Shaver and take movies of them buggars to!... what with Ramps doin a stripper we could do a friggin movie of the mad buggar building it!! :D Cool there he is hunched over the table saw slicin out strips and on comes this Aussie accented whispering Attenbourough fella "and as can be seen the increadible humanoid rampuswestaussieus is an industrious creature... "

and the inevitable shed scope AussieAttenbourough again "Shedus Dingoius... the perfect example of West Aussie sheditis inextremus not the confined mess the small areas between tools this is designed so that those afflicted with sheditis inextremus have something to continually feed their secondary affliction that of whingamaximusitis a terrible affliction often seen in... oohhh ssshhh note up there in the woodloft the amazing Jarrah hardasnails timberitis amazing timber specie capable of increadible patterns and strength but one must at all times be quiet as possible around its sleeping area as its prone to bendyitis... "

I reckon along with the serious stuff HUMOR should be encouraged :cool: Im game! ;)

Okay its downloaded!! whahooo that was quick and pretty damned slick with that blue frog! :D

DASM!! I got as far as testing port "26750" and after nothing for a few minutes its got the message "Unable to test: Invalid port given or test service failed Another application may already be using this port"... you what?? the number of the port was already in the little slot all I did was hit "test"... as for invalid port how the blazes would I know if its valid or not they put it there! test service failed? its their test!! gggrrrrrrrrrrr another application may already be using this port" What port what program... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

they dont offer any suggestions or clues as to what to do now!! gak I hate technoshyte!!... sigh... okay fellas fess up what the heck do I do now???

aaaggghhh the little blue froggy jumped up and bit me!! :eek: said the firewall was blocking it and it must be open so Ive now made an exception for it... test again same thing! whats happenin I wanna watch the videos!! sob sob whine whine whinge whinge cuss swearin mutterin cursin

Stuart
4th August 2006, 03:32 AM
Hi Dingo

Once you have installed Az, you can then click on one of the movie links. It will take you to another web page, where you will find the actual file for download. When you click on this, a window will pop up asking what program you want to use, and you point it at Az, and click ok. That's it.

Hope that makes sense.

After doing it once, you will be a pro in no time!