PDA

View Full Version : Grub screws?

occam
31st July 2006, 03:54 PM
I just noticed that the grub screw holding a bearing down to the router bit (1/4" shaft), had disappeared. Unfortunately, my workshop floor is not such that very small objects are easy (or even possible) to find.
I tried the Carbatec catalogue - no grubs there. Tried calling them - no answer, no answer,...
Can anyone tell where to get those thingoes, and (if not at a woodworking place) exactly what they are called, and what size I would need? Just in case, I would buy several..
Please.

Ashore
31st July 2006, 04:07 PM
Try the yellow pages "Bolts & Nuts" let your fingers do the walking , or a marine/ boat shop :)

Ivan in Oz
31st July 2006, 04:19 PM
How big?
What thread?

Give me a clue:D

Might be able to help; Metric I presume

floobyduster
31st July 2006, 04:46 PM
Maybe you could try 'sweeping' the floor with a magnet? The back of an old speaker is great - larger size and usually quite strong magnets. It should pull any metal bits up through the dust and shavings. Works well if you have some idea where to look. :D

occam
31st July 2006, 05:28 PM
Oh well, if worst comes to worst I will have to remove the bit from the router and bring it to some 'nut&bolt' shop - there are some not too far away.
But I would hate to do that - it is set precisely right to make perfect dovetails in 19mm stock now; in a cheap router dedicated to this purpose. Quite difficult to get that router set right..

ian
31st July 2006, 05:31 PM
Oh well, if worst comes to worst I will have to remove the bit from the router and bring it to some 'nut&bolt' shop - there are some not too far away.
But I would hate to do that - it is set precisely right to make perfect dovetails in 19mm stock now; in a cheap router dedicated to this purpose. Quite difficult to get that router set right..at the risk of generating a Duh moment

take the whole bloody router with you

occam
31st July 2006, 05:41 PM
In response to suggestions so far:
"take the whole %% router.." I thought of that, but the moving would probably make the router lose the setting
"Sweep the floor with a magnet" - worth a try!
"how big.." - I do not know without the screw. the hole is too small for me to get any accurate measurements

In the absence of a proper height measure/setting tool, the following procedure is the best I can think of:
I will route a niche into the side of my workbench with the 'proper' setting. After replacement of the (bit and) screw, I will drop the bit so it fits into the niche.. hopefully it will be almost perfect and will require few correction attempts.

Any comments (hopefully improvements)?

ian
31st July 2006, 05:52 PM
who made your router bit? If it was CMT, acording to my catalogue the screw is 1/8 in and comes in 3 lengths 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 you'll also need a washer. If the bearing is also misplaced check that you still have the bearing shield.
Part numbers are:
1/8W x 1/4 in 990.057.00
1/8W x 3/8 in 990.058.00
1/8W x 1/2 in 990.059.00
washer 1/8 bore 990.400.00

ian

floobyduster
31st July 2006, 06:04 PM
You could try and make a gauge with a piece of plywood, cardboard or the like. Make a U shape that stradles the router - adjust the length of the legs until the end of the bit just touches the bottom of the U (or close enough that you can use some feeler gauges for the final measurement). Hope you can visualise what I mean?

Ashore
31st July 2006, 09:17 PM
Try marking the router bit with Liquid paper remove from the router and take the router bit to the nut bolt shop , you should be able to get it back in the same position :cool:

Rgds

ian
31st July 2006, 11:05 PM
In response to suggestions so far:
"take the whole %% router.." I thought of that, but the moving would probably make the router lose the setting

In the absence of a proper height measure/setting tool, the following procedure is the best I can think of:
I will route a niche into the side of my workbench with the 'proper' setting. After replacement of the (bit and) screw, I will drop the bit so it fits into the niche.. hopefully it will be almost perfect and will require few correction attempts.

Any comments (hopefully improvements)?as well as recording the curent setting, I'd still take the whole shebang to the bolt shop. there's a good chance that you wont loose the setting, but if you do you will have the setting recorded.

ian

Bodgy
31st July 2006, 11:10 PM
I'm with Flubduster.

About every two days I drop a screw or suchlike, weeping the floor with a magnet has always worked - so far.

Problem is if they are brass screws, although a lot of Chinese brass is magnetic. Funny that.

occam
1st August 2006, 07:17 PM
I have routed a niche, but marking the bit was impossible - too little room. And in spite of using a magnet, I have not found the screw.
Fortunately, I got hold of another dovetail bit (Carbatec, maker unknown) and can take that to the nut place. By the way, no washer - just a Torx (T6) headed screw that goes down flush with the shank.
So, problem solved - this time. Thanks for the advice given; I now have some tricks to use when next disaster happens.