PDA

View Full Version : Ouch what a bonehead

SwindonWoody
31st July 2006, 05:04 PM
We've all done it one time or other. Been in a hurry and left the brain in idle.
10:25pm I was cutting splines for some mitred door frames. The first one was a bit thick, (as I ended up proving myself too!). So I walsed up to my Delta 12 disc sander, pinned the 1/8" spline to the disc with my thumbs. (careful not to get the fingies too close) Sanded off a bit when WAM the wood got eaten but the disc and BOTH thumbs went straight into spinning 60 grit!!!

I know better, I was lucky no bone was lost. (but it came too damn close)
Hurt like hell and serves me right. I knew better, but was in a hurry. I couldnt do bugger all for the next few days so I really didnt save any time at all.

Now I have a lovely brownish red streak on my disc to remind me.

Doughboy
31st July 2006, 05:55 PM
Gotta love those jobs that are just too small to set up properly. Oh yeah it is just a p o o fteenth so I'll just do this.....

And you end up recovering from it for far too long.

Hope the thumbs are ok. Have fun recounting that to your kids

Pete

Bluegum
31st July 2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah Mate easy to do when one has as slip of concentration. Hope it heals up nicely and you back on the tools before you know it.

Andy Mac
31st July 2006, 10:43 PM
Hi SwindonWoody,
OUCH! Those sanding discs (and belts) sure give a painful wound, worse than a cut. Had a student do a similar thing and flatten the soft part of her thumb/palm, but she pushed the workpiece into the the wrong side of the rotating disc!:eek:
Hope it heals OK...both thumbs did you say!?:p

Cheers,

DanP
1st August 2006, 07:38 PM
Hang the disc on the wall as a reminder.

Ouch...

swiftden
1st August 2006, 10:07 PM
Feeling your pain hope it heals well. At least you didnt loose any bone!!!

Zed
2nd August 2006, 08:32 AM
Hang the disc on the wall as a reminder.

Ouch...

THAT could be CoP type item - doubles as a safety AND a target...

keith53
2nd August 2006, 09:27 AM
I sympathise with you. I put one of my thumbs into the tablesaw blade a couple of months ago. Still haven't got the full use of it back.

Ever watch any woody dvd's or even the woodworking channel. Notice how the presenters are really picky with safety?

SwindonWoody
4th August 2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks, I seem to need an occasional reminder that I bleed and to watch what the H3LL i'm doing. Baby skin is back and I'm getting on with it, but far more aware of safety.
regards,
dave