PDA

View Full Version : First Goblet

dnelson
2nd August 2006, 01:09 AM
Well I finally got my first goblet finished. :)
The wood is black walnut and it is finished with several coats of Poly.

Stu in Tokyo
2nd August 2006, 01:23 AM
Looks good, how did you do the captured ring?

Do you have a special tool for that, or did you make one?

Nice job! :)

dnelson
2nd August 2006, 01:31 AM
Stu,
I bought a captive ring tool. I would make one but i just did not have the time. thanks for the compliment.

rodent
2nd August 2006, 01:40 AM
NICE unfortunately the ring makes it hard to drink from but great as an orniment . the hardest part is getting th inside bottom clean and smooth just go slower because its turning slower .

OGYT
2nd August 2006, 01:59 AM
The Walnut's pretty. The Goblet's well done. The captive ring's an eyecatcher. Good job.

Gil Jones
2nd August 2006, 02:05 AM
Nice goblet, and I like the captive ring.

Stu in Tokyo
2nd August 2006, 02:11 AM
.................. the hardest part is getting the inside bottom clean and smooth just go slower because its turning slower .

Are you talking about the inside of the captive ring, getting that smooth?

If you are, I was shown a trick, see if I can explain it with out pics :rolleyes:

Turn your ring, get it as smooth as possible, then just beside the ring, before you part the ring off, you make a nice flat spot, slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the ring. Make the flat spot about 3/4" wide, part off the ring.

Now stop the lathe, and then tape a piece of sand paper onto the flat spot, make it so when turning the flap of paper does not catch, no you have a mini spindle sander right there on you goblet. :D

Grab your ring, and sand the inside nice and smooth........ :)

Clear as mud?

Cheers!

ss_11000
2nd August 2006, 10:41 PM
well done, i really like the ring...