PDA

View Full Version : Timber Flooring

Robert A Johnson
25th April 2002, 01:12 AM
Help!
As part of our renovating project, we had a timber floor installed. Even with plastic covering the floor, it still managed to get thoroughly soaked. After removing the plastic and let it dry I noticed that while the underside of the boards still look as tight as the day they were laid, the surface of the boards have cupped and the gaps between the boards has increased, in some cases markedly. Is there anything that can be done prior to sanding. ?? straming?? anything??

Bruce Bell
27th April 2002, 09:53 AM
Robert the reason there are gaps in the top of the foor is that it is much drierthan the underside of the floor. as timber is hydroscopic it would be best to let it stableise over all before finishing may be some wet cloths on top will help put some of the moisture back then let it stableise in the shade befor polishing. This is the reason why one should never lay a timber floor befor the roof is on a building. It makes for quicker erection but the finished job is not always to ones liking. If possible recramp the floor will help as well.

Still " Enjoying the Thrill of Making the Chips Fly"

Eastie
29th April 2002, 11:23 AM
Can't help fix the problem, but with anyone else:

If you can't get the hang of walking floor joists and decide to put down the floor boards before the roof goes on, at the bare minimum cover the roof and any open external walls with "tyvek" waterproofing frame wrap.

Even better and cheaper is put down a sactrificial particle boards in the work areas until the job is covered.

JackG
29th April 2002, 09:03 PM
I put my planks upside down and turn them over and nail them only once the inside jobs are over.

Surely someone will complain that the humidity under the house, inside the house is differnet and my planks will bow or other reasons, but guess what... I havent had any problems with that. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Jack