PDA

View Full Version : I done a stupid thing

Ironwood
2nd August 2006, 06:13 PM
Well I finally got around to starting work on the new cyclone, marked out a few bits on the sheet of gal, started cutting out using tinsnips, it was going a bit slow. when i remembered reading on a thread about someone using a jigsaw. so out the jigsaw comes, fit a metal blade. picked up the earmuffs, looked at the facesheild that obviously needed a good clean, and grabbed a pair of clear safety glasses instead. about halfway along one edge of the cone, a piece of metal bounced off the edge of the glasses and into my eye.
I couldnt dislodge it myself, and as my wife was at work today, it meant a half hour drive to town, $75 at the doctors, and the end of the days proceedings.
For sake of two minutes taken to clean the faceshield, i could have saved myself all that trouble. I'm still kicking myself, I should have known better :o :mad: :mad: :o

ozwinner
2nd August 2006, 06:23 PM
Yikes. :eek:

Lucky ya can still see, were they safety glasses?

Al :(

Carry Pine
2nd August 2006, 06:30 PM
Why do I open this thread? A horror story each week related to work that we love doing. Ironwood, I really hope there are no long term effects from this accident. What else can I say?

Carry Pine

Ironwood
2nd August 2006, 06:43 PM
Yikes. :eek:

Lucky ya can still see, were they safety glasses?

Al :(
yes they were proper close fitting "uvex nullabours" safety glasses.

Ironwood
2nd August 2006, 06:48 PM
Why do I open this thread? A horror story each week related to work that we love doing. Ironwood, I really hope there are no long term effects from this accident. What else can I say?

Carry Pine
Carry pine thanks for the concern, there will be no permanent damage. it was a very small piece of swarf off the jigsaw cut, that was just a speck on the end of a cotton bud when the doctor brushed it off my eye. but enough to cause quite a bit of discomfort while it was stuck there.

ozwinner
2nd August 2006, 06:51 PM
Why do I open this thread?

You were hoping for pictures of blood and gore, go on, admit it. :p

Al :D

Ironwood
2nd August 2006, 10:57 PM
You were hoping for pictures of blood and gore, go on, admit it. :p

Al :D
nothing i hate more than bleedin in the workshop, makes your tools go rusty :eek:

Wood Butcher
2nd August 2006, 11:06 PM
yes they were proper close fitting "uvex nullabours" safety glasses.
For that reason I've found a lot of school workshops I've been to when I go on pre-service teaching enforce that students wear full face sheilds using machines not safety specs. Unfortunately I had the same happen to me years ago but it was a sliver of timber which was removed by my workmate.

scooter
3rd August 2006, 12:05 AM
For that reason I've found a lot of school workshops I've been to when I go on pre-service teaching enforce that students wear full face sheilds using machines not safety specs. Unfortunately I had the same happen to me years ago but it was a sliver of timber which was removed by my workmate.

Gee those Black & Decker things are bl0ody versatile... ;)

BobL
3rd August 2006, 08:50 AM
Ironwood, full sympathies mate.

I've taken to wearing my faceshield more and more often and especially like the fact that I can flip it up out of the way but it stays on my head and can flip it back down quickly with a quick nod.

RE: Cutting sheet metal.
Last weekend I made 2 "fireplace ash catchers" (trays that hold the ash that falls from a fireplace grate) from 0.55mm thick glavanized plate.The required shape for these trays was quite complex, an irregular hexagon with different height sides. Overall size was about 30 x 45 x 9 cm

I bought a 1200 x 900 mm sheet of galv plate from a local steel dealer for $19 - I'm sure they stuffed up the price somehow.

Anyway, back in the shed I also started with snips and after cutting for ~5 cm I tossed them aside and fired up the old TS with the 1mm thick metal cutting blade. The 1mm blade did the job very easily cutting out the complex shape and within 15 minutes I was folding over edges and sides, and pop-rivetting them together. Of course I used a face shield during the entire operation.

The metal cutting blades do leave a noticeable burr on the cut edge but I don't think it's as immediately nasty as those longe needles that snips can generate on cut edges, that can stab right into your hands (even through leather gloves) as you cut past them.

A couple of light swipes of the edges past the sides of the metal cutting blade quickly takes care of any burr. BTW these 1mm blades are not meant to take sideways pressure so one needs to be careful with them.

Ironwood
3rd August 2006, 09:13 AM
Bob, sounds like you got a good deal on your plate, i rang around to all the steel dealers in town, for a 2400 x 1200 x .8mm sheet of gal, prices ranged from $58 to $80 :eek: :eek: .
re. the thin blade, i have a few of those in the shed for my angle grinder, that i use to cut steel for toolmaking etc.(not much heat build up). on the TS you sure would get nice straight cuts.
I think i will continue with the jigsaw today, only difference, i will probably wear goggles and a facesheild ;)

BobL
3rd August 2006, 09:46 AM
Bob, sounds like you got a good deal on your plate, i rang around to all the steel dealers in town, for a 2400 x 1200 x .8mm sheet of gal, prices ranged from $58 to $80 :eek: :eek: .
re. the thin blade, i have a few of those in the shed for my angle grinder, that i use to cut steel for toolmaking etc.(not much heat build up). on the TS you sure would get nice straight cuts.
I think i will continue with the jigsaw today, only difference, i will probably wear goggles and a facesheild ;)

That should keep you covered.

I have shaken my head several times about the price for that sheet of steel plate.

The TS with metal cutting blade is great because at 3000rpm it's only cutting relatively slowly and you have much more control than at 10000 rpm.

Al B
4th August 2006, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Shop around, I found prices for 1200 x 2400 x 0.6mm(24 gauge) ranged from $20 -$28. its a little cheaper and easier to work with than 22 gauge.

Hope to see some pics of your cyclone.