PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas from tool makers

BobL
3rd August 2006, 12:29 PM
I have scrounged a well worn 14" diam 2mm thick rock cutting blade that has lost virtually all of its cutting diamonds. It's obviously a pretty decent sort of tool steel. What sort of ingenious wood working tool could I make with it?

Bodgy
3rd August 2006, 12:42 PM
Could be used as the blade for a marking out knife, could also make a stiff cabinet scraper or three. Maybe a draw knife blade

2mm isn't a lot to go on, unless you want to play with a forge and start laminating it.

Andy Mac
3rd August 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi Bob,
How about a herb knife, those rocking type cutters; or similarly, a leather cutting knife? Don't know how you'd cut it in its present condition, although I'd bring out the plasma cutter.

Cheers,

BobL
3rd August 2006, 09:52 PM
Hi Bob,
How about a herb knife, those rocking type cutters; or similarly, a leather cutting knife? Don't know how you'd cut it in its present condition, although I'd bring out the plasma cutter.

I like the idea or the herb cutter - project 643 is now logged! Even more the challenge of someone to cut the blade, oh no too easy, brother-in-law boat builder Joe to the rescue!

Clinton1
3rd August 2006, 10:29 PM
I think that if you plan and mark out all the tool blank shapes on the disk and get it jet/laser cut that it might not be too expensive. It will minimise waste.
First you should cut a small piece out (a wedge) and heat treat it to make sure that is it suited for the purpose as well. It might be a flash alloy that is designed for rigidity in its circular form, not to be a cutting/hardening alloy.

Maybe one tool would be using it to sweat onto some wrought iron to make a laminated (laid on) blade, ala japanese chisels/blades?? That would be cool and worth many bragging rights! ;) :D