PDA

View Full Version : wooden slats privacy screen

avago
24th June 2002, 01:50 PM
I am an absolute newcomer to DIY but would like to have a go at adding a 2 foot high privacy screen to a small portion of our back wall which is only about 4 foot high.
The section that needs to be raised is an the far left hand corner of the yard and is about 4m long on one wall and 2m long on the adjoining wall
The idea of using horizontal wooden slats with a small gap between each slat is what I have in mind.
It will be atop a rendered cement wall.
I would like to know what I should use as a frame/support for the wooden slats which can be attached to:
a) to top of the renederd wall and
b) both ends of the short walls which connect to taller brick walls.
If you can make any sense of what I've tried my best to explain and have some suggestions, I would be very grateful
Cheers
John

Eastie
24th June 2002, 05:50 PM
Before you start make an anonymous call to the council planning department to see if it fits into the planning schedules (in Victoria it would come under RESCODE, and on a corner block you would most likely not be allowed to do what you are proposing).

Anyhow, the basics would be to secure a bottom plate of timber to the top course of bricks with dynabolts and adhesive. Same goes for tying it into existing taller brick walls. Use housing joints (simple 1/3 to 1/2 rebate into the bottom rail) to help secure the uprights and use something like a halving joint to fix mid and top rails.

Before you end up on a ladder with a circular saw trying to trim the overhang up, use string lines and measure, measure again, cut and number each slat before fixing them to the frame.

I'd use hardwood - F7 or F8 structural rated for the framing.

But before all that, go back to the start and re-read the bit on council requirements....

avago
24th June 2002, 10:04 PM
Thanks Eastie, for both the council tip and for the suggestion on how to construct the supports.

You've made the instructions very clear and simple which I really appreciate.

Time to make an anonymous call http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Eastie
25th June 2002, 04:25 PM
Have a look at the relevant links on this site for further info
http://www.tradac.org.au/tradac/newsite/projects.htm