PDA

View Full Version : Plans on E-Bay

Felder
3rd August 2006, 04:37 PM
Has anyone seen or purchased this from E-Bay before?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/The-Ultimate-Plans-CD-For-The-Woodworking-Enthusiast_W0QQitemZ190013776356QQihZ009QQcategoryZ113535QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm guessing that this isn't the first time this item has been for sale on the site.

1,000 plans for $15...seems a little dubious. I'm tipping they may be a little vague on detail?:confused: Or am I being over cautious?

silentC
3rd August 2006, 04:44 PM
I've heard of something like it before. It was a cd full of links to web sites with free plans. All they have done is collected together what you could find yourself for free with a bit of searching. Steer clear I reckon....

Felder
3rd August 2006, 04:49 PM
That's what I thought it was at first, too, until I saw this sentence most of the way down the page;

Simply load the CD in your CD-Rom drive, browse the categories and print the out the plan you want to build.

Doesn't mention anything about clicking links. Perhaps cleverly?

(Now how the hell did my text get all bold like this?:confused: Damn pootas. Don't understand them....probably never will.....:()

bitingmidge
3rd August 2006, 04:59 PM
I haven't checked the link, but they bob up every now and then:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=8323
Cheers,

P

echnidna
3rd August 2006, 04:59 PM
Theres a few different cd's like that if you look worldwide.

Many of the plans offered on ebay are blatantly pirated,
some you pick up by their blurb.
But some you don't till after you buy them

Felder
3rd August 2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah - think I'll steer clear

http://www.ubeaut.biz/captain.gif Avast maties! We're starboard bound!! (sorry boaties...;))

BTW Midge - I'm astounded that you didn't click the link, yet instead took the time to do a search for an old thread.....not offended, in fact quite the opposite. Just....befuddled.:confused:

Sturdee
3rd August 2006, 05:48 PM
BTW Midge - I'm astounded that you didn't click the link, yet instead took the time to do a search for an old thread.....not offended, in fact quite the opposite. Just....befuddled.:confused:

Brendan, Midge is an old hand. He knows how to do a search. :D :D :D

Peter.

ozwinner
3rd August 2006, 06:46 PM
Just....befuddled.:confused:

Welcome to the befuddled club.

Al :)

bitingmidge
3rd August 2006, 07:10 PM
Brendan, when you know how, you can do a search in less time than it takes to start a new thread! :rolleyes:

Don't be befuddled, you aren't old enough to do it right! ;)

I reckon this has come up four or five times over the last few years, each time I've followed links, tracked back companies, done all sorts of research, and backed up my sweeping statements. Time for someone else to take 'em on!

On the other hand, searching on this forum is easier than google if you can remember the right key words. (Like "plans scam" :D )

I know how much information fits on a 650mb CD, and I know how big a plan file size is., and I have to tell you it's more than 650k which is what you get when you divide 650m by 1000 plans!

Boatmik's PDRacer plans for instance currently run to about 3mb, but they are relatively small drawing files. Logic tells me, that either these blokes have found a new way of fitting stuff onto a cd, or they are the old re-packaged scam boys at it again.

Good luck to them, but be warned, they prey on the befuddled!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

graemet
3rd August 2006, 11:45 PM
A set of boat plans was on ebay for $12US - a close look showed them to be photocopies of 2 pages of Popular Mechanics from the 60s. Another seller had the whole magazine for sale @ $2!
Cheers
Graeme

DanP
4th August 2006, 12:31 AM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/captain.gif Avast maties! We're starboard bound!!

If yer starboard bound, how come yer turnin to port?

Felder
4th August 2006, 10:29 AM
Mirrors, Dan. It's all done with mirrors.

http://www.ubeaut.biz/wizard.gif

Groggy
4th August 2006, 11:19 AM
In his blurb he states "The plans found on this cd are designed to help you succeed at completing the woodworking project.". This indicates there must be plans on the CD, but unfortunately doesn't guarantee there are any more than two.

I am currently trying the novel approach called "asking the seller" :rolleyes: When he replies I'll post the answer.

Response: I received this no more than 3 minutes after sending the question (in fact it took longer to send the question than to get an answer!)

"Hi, the plans are all on the cd.
Regards,
Ruby"

I reviewed the sellers reputation and scrolled through about 30 pages of feedback, I don't think there is a justification for not trusting this person. 95% positive feedback and no indication of selling product that does not match the description, other than a wool-blend jumper mislabelled as wool which the seller offered to return.

So I guess the remaining questions are "are they good plans and are they fine woodworking, outdoor or carpentry style"

BrettC
15th August 2006, 09:57 PM
This is an interesting read. I wonder if the seller is willing to provide a 'sample' of one of the 1000 or so plans. Given the amount of plans on there it wouldn't be as though they'd be giving away their product...

Edit - Has anyone taken the plunge and had a look at this yet???