PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood MSL-3815 Lathe

CV Turner
4th August 2006, 04:24 PM
Hello!
First post and all that!
I hope some forum members who have a Timbecon Sherwood MSL-3815 lathe can help me.
I'm in the process of purchasing the lathe (waiting for new shipment to arrive) and want to build a timber stand for it before it arrives.
I'm looking for some measurements of the stand it comes with ie. stand height from floor to the base of the lathe bed, size of the stand top that the lathe sits on.

Please send PM with the details.

Thanks in advance

CV Turner

Mulgabill
4th August 2006, 07:14 PM
No dimensions but see my pm.

Edwin
13th October 2006, 12:16 AM
G'day,

I have just received a carbatec MSL 3815 and am in the process of setting it up. I've just been to Bunnings to pick up some 12mm MDF to clad the included pressed-steel stand with. The dimensions I used were

600 x 1800 (2 pieces - base and backboard)
600 x 600 (2 pieces - sides)
375 x 1500 (1 piece - top)
450 x 1650 (1 piece - shelf)

These dimensions aren't the exact dimensions, but they are the size of pieces that you need. Bunnings warehouses sell bits that pretty closely approximate those sizes.

Looking forward to turning! A 20c piece balanced on edge only just barely vibrates at certain harmonics while ramping the RPMs through from 400 to 2100.

rsser
13th October 2006, 06:30 AM
Welcome CV.

It might be worth your while doing a search of the forum about that lathe, before you invest too much time in it. Seem to remember some 'interesting' experiences reported with it.

Slow6
13th October 2006, 07:06 AM
I owned the carbatec msl3815 for a few frustrating months.

the major fault (and apparently one a whole shipment suffered from) was a badly out of balance main spindle. I found mention of the same problem scattered round the net dating right back, so I dunno.

my advice, as soon as you get the lathe take the cover off the headstock and check the spindle at the left hand end while running low rpm's, while your there take note of the pickup for the digital rpm readout, you'll be back to fix that soon enough (not a hard job)
remember.. running the lathe with no blank at any rpm should NOT produce vibration (I wish I'd known that when starting out)

dont let me get you down.. the lathe if without faults is imho the best available for the money.

good luck... I hope its a winner.

oh and as for the bench.. the bench shipped with the lathe is an afterthought and undersized for the lathe... just build one to your liking keepin the centre line of the lathe about elbow hight and you'll be far better off.

CV Turner
13th October 2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks Edwin, rsser & slow6 for your replies.

The Sherwood MSL 3815 will arrive next week and I have a heavy duty bench waiting.

Timbecon assure me that thay have had no problems as mentioned here and the lathe is now covered by their 3 year warranty.

I will let you all know how it "turns" out!

Wild Dingo
13th October 2006, 08:30 PM
Well the issues that slow talks of (among others) are still there regardless of what the sellers say... mine was bought a year ago and the first thing to go was the digital thing still doesnt work cause I cant be bloody bothered... the "table" isnt an after thought its a peice of crap thankfully you like I already have a solid table ready for it

Its my first EVER lathe the first lathe Ive EVER turned on... Im learning the "how to's" and the "how not too's" along with the "OOOHHHH FRIGGINSHYTE!!!" as well on it and for that alone was a good buy but I think if I were to do it again Id go for something else...

Really check it out which is something Ive learnt I have to do with every peice of Sherwood gear Ive bought... literally pull it apart and put it back to gether again you will be surprised at what you will need to replace! :eek: but luckily theres several chaps here who also have some of Sherwoods loosely termed "serious" tools and can point you in the right direction :cool:

oooh and welcome ;)

powderpost
13th October 2006, 09:47 PM
G'day CV turner, build the stand out of heavy timbers, legs 100 x 100, rails out of 100 x 50 etc. The height of the centres should be at elbow level.
Jim

Slow6
13th October 2006, 10:29 PM
with every peice of Sherwood gear Ive bought... literally pull it apart and put it back together again

Gday dingo :)

I've learned my lesson.. I decked out my small shop with new machinery a year ago.. all that remains of it now is the bandsaw, and thats just because I have yet to find an antique replacement for it.

I now wont buy a damn thing that doesn't have half a ton of cast iron included.

with the exception of my p20 scrollsaw that is.. only new machine that's done its intended job from the day I got it.

I'll stop the negative thread hijack CV (sorry bud) I'm sure the 3815 will be one of the good ones (there are good ones out there) I know Mulga Bill got one not long ago and have not heard anything so I'm assuming its a runner.

btw.. I do have a spare bed for the 3815 up for grabs if its handy for any owners of that lathe. it would make a very decent bed extension for someone with the inclination.

free to a good home or off to the tip with it.