PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Symmetric saw

riri
4th August 2006, 09:58 PM
Hi Pat,

This one is for you. When you come with a plinth to a fixed object ( like a wall ) at an angle, how do you measure that angle? Sounds easy but i have not found a foolproof way to do it with the bevel square.

If you measure the angle withe the bevel square and report it back to the Symmetric, read the angle and multiply it by 2 ( since we are only cutting one side ) it is wrong. What i do now is to report the angle against the blade and ajust the slinding fence accordingly. It works but it is not fantastically accurate ( shame for a Symmetric is it not?).

I am sure you must have found a better way.

riri

riri
4th August 2006, 11:11 PM
Here is a pic of what i am talking about. I am referring to the rounded small plinth. Picture is taken from above.

riri

patr
5th August 2006, 12:20 AM
Hi Riri

I know exactly what you mean but the Symmetric is not designed to cut one face.

But I had to do much the same as you and in the end used a cheap adjustable protractor with a degree scale on it, measured the angle between wall and stock and transferred the angle to the scale on the Symmetric. Result was spot on!

It is a cheap protractor which cost 1 euro in the GB in Mons so you should be able to get one up in Bruxelles!

Regards
Pat

riri
5th August 2006, 12:28 AM
Hi Pat,

I do have one also but i always seem to leave it behind when i need it! :confused: Surely, there must be a way to do it with the Symmetric but how?
I'll keep searching.

riri

patr
5th August 2006, 02:02 AM
Riri

Tie it to the Festool bevel!

I have tried other ways, even (pre Symmetric) using the Trend halving bevel but always ended up with a lousy join. The Symmetric is the best at what it does but it is constrained by its design. I cannot think of another way to overcome this problem but do like the accuracy and clarity of the scale on the saw which makes transferring the angle so easy.

If you find another way pse let me know.

Regards
Pat

riri
5th August 2006, 03:00 AM
I will let know if i find a trick! Maybe someone out there has the solution. Please let us know!

riri

riri
10th August 2006, 12:44 AM
Hourrah,

I have found the way to do it Pat.

Take yr angle with the bevel square. Report it back to the Symmetric. In my case i read 20°. Multiply it by 2 ( we are only cutting one side ) that makes 40°. Since the Symmetric scale starts in effect at 90° ( although you read 0° ) substract your value from 90° and you have 50° which is SPOT ON the measure i needed. I hope it is comprehensible.

I knew the Germans would not let us down.

Riri

patr
10th August 2006, 01:51 AM
Riri
Well done! I have just been out and checked your method and by jingo it works.

In your honour I have opened an ice cold Duvel to drink to your health.

As for 'I knew the Germans would not let us down.' , Herr Simou (halbes Deutsche/half Welsh) is delighted with your kind comment on his Mutties country!:D

Kind regards and thanks

Pat und Simou

riri
10th August 2006, 01:59 AM
Hi Pat,

Now we can safely say: "Festool ubber alles" don't you think? To celebrate this i have also opened a ice cold Liefmans Kriek. What a delight.

riri

patr
10th August 2006, 02:11 AM
Jawohl Mein (Festool) Fuhrer! :D

Enjoy your beer. That is an excellent choice of a lambic. I am very fond of Mort Subite's Kriek.

Pat

riri
10th August 2006, 07:36 PM
Hi,

Whilst we are at it, i find the spring of the blade protector mechanism a bit stiff and after a while i get tired of pulling that handle:mad: . does anyone know whether it is possible to loosen the spring a bit?

Thanks,

riri

patr
10th August 2006, 11:46 PM
Riri
we must be the only Symmetric users!

Every now and then I remove the left main saw cover and the blade and brush out all the sawdust that collects there. The mechanism and springs for the blade protector then get a small drop of 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil and this seems to ease the mechanism a little. The springs are pre-tensioned and not adjustable without bending the spring and I do not think that I will be doing that as it may affect the release speed of the blade guard.

Perhaps you need to build up the strength of your sawing arm a little and I would recommend an intensive, "lifting a full beer glass from the table to your mouth", course as the perfect way to ease your arm joints. You must, of course, wash out the foul taste of the beer with a Single Malt. This course must be followed every night until your arm gets strong but do not expect instant results. ;)

Pat

riri
11th August 2006, 12:02 AM
Hi Pat,

You are probably right: a clear lack of exercise! I am on my way to the fridge.:p

Cheers,

riri

wormdrive
18th August 2006, 02:04 PM
Check this tool out guys,

http://www.starrett.com/pages/689_prosite_protractor.cfm

riri
21st August 2006, 10:28 PM
Hi wormdrive,

Thanks for posting this thread. Festool has a similar tool ( picture 1 ) which allows you to read the angle accurately. The beauty of this accessory is that once you have read the angle, you just put the square in the groove of a alloy Festool guide and you have your angle ready for sawing or routing ( picture 2 ). A great accessory indeed.

As for the Symmetric, the feature with this machine is that once you have read the angle with the bevel square you report it to the Symmetric and it automatically sets the machines for both angles ( no more bisector calculations needed ). The only problem with that system is when cutting one face only. But now we have found a way to do it:) . See above.

riri

patr
23rd August 2006, 08:20 AM
Wormdrive
Thank you for your link. That looks a very impressive bit of kit. But as Riri says, the beauty and simplicity of the Symmetric is that once you have set the synchronised fences, both sides of the mitre are cut with absolute accuracy. I call my saw Rizla as you cannot get a fag paper between the join.

regards
Pat