PDA

View Full Version : Which timber to use

GET IT RIGHT 1ST TIME
9th October 2002, 11:01 AM
Hi all,I am building a small timber stepped landing at front door (exposed to weather)1.2 x 2.1 with 1 load bearing post that will be part of the handrailing.I dont want to use treated pine because i want it stained, it will have jarrah decking boards. The question is what timber to use as the framework and in ground posts? A durable all weather alternative/dressed/stainable.
ty for any replies
new member ROD

Eastie
9th October 2002, 01:23 PM
Lots of options!

If you don’t want to treated pine (it is cheap and suitable) then iron bark, yellow stringy, blackbutt, karri, red gum and jarrah.are all options. Depends on availability/$’s and whether or not you want to contrast the timber for an effect, if it will be seen ?
Regardless of what you choose, it will pay to protect it before the treads go on – don’t do a half arsed job with external exposed timber.

A good place to have a look at most of these species would be at a certain timber retailer in Williamstown.

The following link will give you a bit of an idea about different timbers and their durability – just click on the little graph. http://oak.arch.utas.edu.au/tech/Articles/Timber_properties/48/48.html

Good luck
Mark