PDA

View Full Version : A question for the tool makers out there?

cedar n silky
5th August 2006, 10:14 PM
I have realised that I need some sturdy scrapers after trialing my cheap chiawanese chisel set. (I did buy a couple of Hamlet tools to compliment the cheapies). I have stashed away a set of leaf springs from an old international 4x4, and was wondering how leaf springs (3/8 inch thick) go as scrapers? The bottom springs, (while still slightly curved) might make OK scrapers? I could live with the slight curve I imagine? If the are not a good option, what brand would you recomend? The Hamlet seem good, but there is plenty to choose from Eg: Henry Taylor, Robert Sorby etc.
At this stage I am looking at a bowl scraper and a Square nose scraper. I am wondering also what's the most usefull width all round? Mainly mid sized bowls 75 mm to 3oo mm.
Thanks

hughie
5th August 2006, 11:11 PM
I have stashed away a set of leaf springs from an old international 4x4, and was wondering how leaf springs (3/8 inch thick) go as scrapers? The bottom springs, (while still slightly curved) might make OK scrapers? I could live with the slight curve I imagine?

Leaf springs are carbon steel and will work just fine. But you must not grind as to change colour as this will effect the hardness. HSS is harder and more durable, but the springs will allow you a finer edge.
HSS will hold an edge far longer and so is the steel of choice....unless you need the tool sharpening experience..:p :D

If the are not a good option, what brand would you recommend? The Hamlet seem good, but there is plenty to choose from Eg: Henry Taylor, Robert Sorby etc.

As to which brand has the edge....sorry:D its a bit personal, both brands are OK

At this stage I am looking at a bowl scraper and a Square nose scraper. I am wondering also what's the most useful width all round?

Heavy is good, but HSS is expensive when it gets heavy :eek: So have a go at the spring steel and grind em any way you want. By the time you finish you will have a clear idea of what you prefer with out wasting any $$$ on some thing less useful

Bodgy
5th August 2006, 11:21 PM
I'm sure you'll be fine, just refer to the metalurgy threads on annealing, hardening and tempering.

So much easier to shape the steel if you go thru the process.

rsser
6th August 2006, 03:19 PM
You can get HSS blanks for scrapers etc from Gary Pye or McJing online if you want to go this route.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th August 2006, 06:37 PM
Just thought I'd throw my latest effort into the mix. 'Tis nothing as sophisticated as Ern's effort, but 'tis an effective tool just the same and simple to make. It's something I saw demonstrated t'other week at our turning club and I knew I wanted one. ;)

Just some 5cm tube, cut to length and fitted over a LONG handle. Long is important with this amount of cutting edge, for better control. In the end-shot, you can see the weld on the inside right of the tube... this needs to be ground flat before use. Sharpening is just a matter of running around the edge with a file, filing from the outside edge towards the centre.

What's it for, you may well ask? Sphere cutting. Now, it won't cut a full sphere on its' own, as the blank needs to be mounted by a spigot into a chuck. But it'll cut 3/4 of one; a ball on a spigot. Ideal for the lids of salt/pepper mills, for example. Smaller versions (yes, I'll be making several sizes) will make perfectly sized round drawer pulls. To turn a full sphere, I've used this to cut as far as it will then remounted the blank between cups so I could cut the spigot back to the shadow line, the same as I would with the more traditional ball-turning methods. This tool does speed up the process significantly though. :D

In use, the whole cutting edge is used... the whole the end of the tube. At first it's "jumpy" and a bit of an effort to control (hence the long handle) but as the sphere is formed it becomes smoother to use. It's always a noisy bugger though. :rolleyes: The tool is slowly swung from side to side to shape the blank and it's primarily the bottom edge that cuts although the whole edge should be in contact. So the tool's rotated at need to bring a fresh edge into play. One touch-up sharpening at the beginning is all that's needed. :)

BTW, on no account should the ball you are turning be equal to or smaller than the size of the tube! Otherwise it'll jam and you'll be sor-ry!

journeyman Mick
7th August 2006, 12:32 AM
................I have stashed away a set of leaf springs from an old international 4x4.................

Not from one of those old mongrel Scouts were they?;)

Mick (former scout owner)

hughie
7th August 2006, 01:01 AM
Skew, have a look at this for a ball turner. I have made one similar to it and it works well.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/ball/ball.html

The ring cutter is a beauty as well
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/ringcutter/ringcutter.html

TTIT
7th August 2006, 08:49 AM
Skew - Good idea - I'm gonna give that a try for a quick fix but I think I'll set up a rig like Hughies Leady link later - looks safer and and it's variable to boot!

scooter
7th August 2006, 11:02 AM

We had one on the farm as kids, Mick, three speed no synchro weren't they ? Or no synchro on first? Taught us how to (not particularly well :rolleyes: ) double declutch.

Capped off with the heavy spray job of army green complete with curtains of paint runs (:D ) and very, er, agricultural ;) water pipe bull bar & roll bar.

The memories.......cheers.................Sean

OGYT
7th August 2006, 12:17 PM
Skew..... Gotta try that! Looks like it'll be exciting to use. :o)
Greenies.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th August 2006, 06:31 PM
D'Oh! Posted it in the wrong thread... and without touching a drop! :eek:

Hughie, I tried making one like that shown, but I found that unless it's really beefy it's prone to chatter. Nothing wrong with the concept, mind, just my realisation of it! :rolleyes:

The tube idea works surprisingly well for what it is, although I don't know that I'd try it on soft woods...

cedar n silky
7th August 2006, 11:08 PM

Not sure Mick, it was a wrecked old inter, and I scabbed the springs off it to make an off road trailer for working in the bush when I used to sell firewood (centuries ago)- towed the trailer around with an old series 2A land rover, and coming down the mountain was a challenge with the rover and the trailer loaded to the gunnells with hardwood!!:D The inter had double headlights, and looked a bit like those early F100 ambulances if that's any help. Never saw any badge saying it was a scout, but it was pretty old and rusty by the time I got to it!:rolleyes:

Hickory
8th August 2006, 12:47 AM

I drove a '77 for ten years before finally trading it off. Mine was the long "Scout Traveler" one Heck of a workhorse, but a sorry Transmission (Rebuilt 5 times)

journeyman Mick
8th August 2006, 09:39 AM
Cedar,
no, that would be one of their light trucks.

Hickory,
a '77 hey? luxury! mine was ancient, (early 60's or before) had half a V8 originally, I kid you not, it was a 4 cylinder made by blanking off one bank of cylinders and presumably fitting a diffferent crank. I turfed that and put in a ford straight six, heaps more power and a lot lighter.

Sean,
I don't think mine had any synchro on any gear. It also didn't have a roof or windows (besides the windscreen, which I used to fold down) It came with vacuum wipers which were absolutley useless unless you were running down a steep hill with your foot off the accelarator. It was the most spartan, rugged vehicle I've ever owned, but I had miles of fun in it.:)

Mick