PDA

View Full Version : Back to Back seat help

DrewXT
6th August 2006, 01:21 AM
Hi Folks,

the back to back seats in my 1960's Savage runabout have finally started to fall apart, and rather than repair them, I'm going to go down the path of making some new ones...

Can someone point me in the direction of what timber I should use for the frames, and if there are any plans online?

I've got plenty of gear to do the work, but just want a pointer for getting the ball rolling... Type of material is probably the most useful...

Cheers,

Andrew

Wild Dingo
6th August 2006, 02:13 AM
Gidday Drew
Mate if theyre starting to fall apart anyway why not carefully take them apart measure and draw out everything as you go and rebuild them from the plans you make from your measurements and drawings?
As for woods to use... well... what sort of wood were the originals made of? betcha its some sort of light timber and ply backing/facing so use the same stuff!... or get fancy and just take the basic measurements and make a slat back to back seat!

Anyway welcome and good luck
Cheers!:cool:

Daddles
6th August 2006, 10:11 AM
Shane, that post was concise and to the point. Mate, you've GOT to change your medication :eek:

Richard :D

(btw, I agree with him - if it doesn't work, then you can always go looking for plans)

Wild Dingo
6th August 2006, 01:56 PM
I never would have believed it possible myself either ;) ... hence why Ive come back and checked what I said!!! :p

aahhh well thats my once a year abboraton to the norm over back to the usual :D

meerkat
6th August 2006, 07:29 PM
Andrew,

I agree with Dingo too, it would be best if you can use the original unless you want a change in design .:)

btw Richard, are we really sure that it is dingo and not someone else using his login ???;):D:D

Andrew

Wild Dingo
6th August 2006, 11:35 PM
Andrew,

I agree with Dingo too, it would be best if you can use the original unless you want a change in design .:)

btw Richard, are we really sure that it is dingo and not someone else using his login ???;):D:D

Andrew

You mean thats 2 that agree with me??? STREWTH!!:eek: I better watch out Im goin for a record here!! ;)

As for it not bein me... I can assure you it be me alrighty!! All 5ft 6an a bit of the legendary tubby one! it be me... it can only be me!! I AM FLAMIN WELL ME!!!

Now back to the boat issue!!

Okay you could do what I suggested... OR!!!... You could get all technical and real bushy on us and just go nick a couple of those plastic outdoor chairs cut the legs of em whack em on a crate whack the crate on the boat and away yer go... or else you could get all fancy and make em like those poofy new rich boys toys at all the marinas have you know 20in thick cushioned covered in white doeskin fresh from the back of some poor doe in upper mongolia all gold trimmins an fixtures... OR!!! hey!! we could organize the legendary Bruwthy to come visit and mate you will end up with lovely pale azure blue chinz covers over lovely outer siberian otters pharts with some wonderously gorgeous timmings of the mysterious hair of the Yowie... Im sure Bruwthy will come up with something truely... devistatingly stunning... absolutely fantastic dahrlings :D... funny buggar ol Bruwthy ;)

Whatever you choose to do invite us all with pics of your doings... eerr if you do get Bruewthy... mmm no pics till its done okay? that would be just way to scarey!! :p :o :D

Rookie
7th August 2006, 10:09 AM
DrewXT. Think I know what the XT stands for because I didn't buy the turbo, but should have.

Now if you're the Drew that I think you are, the reason you have back to back seats is because you have a SKI boat instead of a FISHING boat. Now if you went out and got a decent FISHING boat you might catch more fish. :D :D :D :D

I don't know how to build your seat Drew but if you need a hand when you decide how to do it, ping me on the FV site if you want a hand.

Cheers mate

John

(Rookie here, but Shrimp over there.)

DrewXT
24th August 2006, 12:42 AM
G'Day John, and others...

Yeah, I do have the XT model, unlike somoene else, who has an XS... :cool:

I've had a really good look at the seats, and figure I can most likely get the broken seats vinyl off it intact, and pull it apart to use as a template set for the replacements, and hopefully get the skins back on over new cushioning...

Now, back to the which timber question - the original seems to be similar to what Bunnings sell as a kiln dried hardwood, but should I be going for timber from a marine timber supplier? I guess I should be using marine ply for the seat base, and back supports, but should the framework also be a marine grade timber?

Then, with respect to putting it all together, I'm figuring on stainless screws, and stainless staples to staple the covers back on (if I can find them)...

Am I on the right track?? :confused:

If so, can someone recommend a supplier in the SE suburbs of Melbourne who's not going to rip me off?

grayman
29th August 2006, 09:12 PM
Drew, Try "Cost Less Bolts" in Ebden St. Moorabbin for your hardware & Lewis Timber in Jasper Rd Mckinnon or Matthews Timber in Nunawading & Marine Timbers in Rutherford Rd Seaford for your ply. A 60s Savage uh, if I was a betting man my money's on a sky blue hull ? :cool: Grayman.

DrewXT
30th August 2006, 12:04 AM
Hey Grayman,

thanks for that, I'll drop in to Lewis' on Saturday morning I reckon...

You were close... I've got a Javelin, which was my grandfathers' from new... They were produced in red or beige - red being the standard, beige being the "deluxe"... I've got a deluxe, so much like this one, that it is!!! :-)

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3883/fangvicut82ontheyarrafx9.jpg

Daddles
30th August 2006, 01:51 AM
Hey Drew, would you like to explain why you're wearing that silly grin ? :D

Richard

DrewXT
30th August 2006, 11:32 PM
Hey Drew, would you like to explain why you're wearing that silly grin ? :D

Richard

Enjoying life, I guess, Richard... :)

Princessssss
11th June 2008, 09:59 PM
hey all,

I'm new to all this so I don't really know how it works...:D

Anyway i'm making my own back to back seat from scratch using my own design and just wanting some help finding some decent priced materials in the western suburbs of Melbourne......... :cool:

Bec :2tsup:

Boatmik
11th June 2008, 10:30 PM
Hi Princessssss,

Not sure how many esses there - hope they are not excessive esses but just the essential sibilants.

Most back to back seats are a cheap plywood form padded with foam and covered with vinyl.

What materials are you after.

Some boat and auto trimmers will sell materials like vinyl and modern replacements. However some can be so frantically busy they may not be very helpful.

What do you need?

Best wishes
Michael

DrewXT
11th June 2008, 10:37 PM
Hi Bec,

I used normal 8 ply, and used my old seats as templates...

the frames were gel coated before covering with vinyl...

Princessssss
11th June 2008, 11:01 PM
lol,

well I my laptop is on the dying stage, dropped a few too many times and didn't realise i had all those sss on the end till it was too late lol...
Well Michael I guess I could get some ply from Bunnings and then some foam from clarke rubber, I'm probably just needing some vinyl... This is a sorta first from me i've not done textiles since yr 8 at school and that was like 6 yrs ago... :B

Do i have to use like stainless steel nails/staples and that??

Question for you Drew would you still have those plans laying about?? I've searched the net for days looking for something but there is nothing!!!!!

Bec:wink:

PAR
12th June 2008, 01:26 AM
If you can get them, use monel staples instead of stainless. I can find stainless staples pretty easily, but they rust pretty darn fast, likely because the grade of stainless is 304 or less, which doesn't really hold up well, especially around salt or brackish water.

My local Ace Hardware (USA) will order them for me ( I know the owner) and I'm the one who usually buys them, but he did say the last case of monel staples he got, which I bought half of, has been sold. He commented that some customers likely grabbed a few boxes thinking they were regular staples, but that the several remaining must have been purchased because of the non-rusting thing, clearing printed on the box. He'd never heard of monel staples before he met me. They do cost a fair amount more then regular staples, but they don't rust, ever and they don't break easily either.

Another option is plastic staples (if you can find them) which obviously can't rust and have the handy feature of being able to be sanded down flush with a surface without tearing up a tool.

If you have to use stainless, then take a magnet with you and see if the staples with attract to it. If they do, they'll rust pretty fast. If they don't they're 316, 316L or better stainless and much less likely to rust.

Princessssss
12th June 2008, 09:40 PM
Awesome I'll check it out at the hardware tomorrow, and thanks for the magnet thing. Never heard of it before will give it a go..

thanks mate:2tsup: