PDA

View Full Version : replacing floor boards

George
21st October 2002, 02:42 PM
I am renovating a bathroom and have found some rot in floor boards where the shower was, particularly the ends of boards against the shower wall. I want to replace a section of about 12 boards across by about 900 mm in length. The length therefore spans 3 joists.

My plan is to cut the boards on the near side of the joist and remove them. I would then bolt a beam to the existing joist to form a ledge for the ends of the new boards to sit on. The ledge would probably be 90x40 seasonsed treated pine (about same size as current hardwood joist) bolted with gal cup head bolts.

Does this sound reasonable?
Does the new ledge need to sit on the bearers or is bolting it to the existing joist sufficient?

Is there a better way?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Eastie
21st October 2002, 04:10 PM
Why use treated pine ? (I think its against the framing code anyhow)

I’d opt for seasoned or demolished framing hardwood, bit of liquid nails and a couple of nails nailed through will do it. Using similar timber will help account for expansion/contraction.
It’s not ideal but if you can’t cut along the middle of the joist this will do just fine.

Knock yourself out!

George
21st October 2002, 04:38 PM
Could I cut along the middle of the joist? I am a bit worried about hitting nails with the saw. I also thought it might be more difficult to lift the boards cleanly without damaging other boards.

Eastie
22nd October 2002, 11:50 AM
If ya go to the hastle of using bolts make sure you elongate the bolt holes 2-3mm along the joist.
While your down there you may as well add spacers (like noggins) between the insert and the adjoining joist as it will help offset any twisting/deformation of the conecting joist - similar to this "|H|" with the joists either side and the H section bolted, nailed, gang nailed, glues and screwed into place http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 22 October 2002).]

George
22nd October 2002, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the term "TP screws". TP is ....?
Ta

GT

Eastie
25th October 2002, 09:58 AM
Hook line and sinker.

But with those bolts - have a quick look at the framing code - you'll find out all about stuff like elongation - some of the stuff actually serves more of a purpose than just keeping the building surveyors happy.