PDA

View Full Version : The benefits of a sharp plane blade.

Mirboo
6th August 2006, 02:00 PM
This morning I was shooting mitres on some Tassie Oak moulding I am using for my current project. I used my No. 8 plane with a freshly honed blade on the shooting board. I like using the No. 8 for shooting because the momentum generated by its weight means that it sails through whatever it is you are planing.

Attached are some pictures of one of the shavings that I produced. You can see that it is a perfect little slice of the moulding that I was working with. I measured the shavings with a vernier and they are only about 0.08mm thick.

You can see that even with a bevel down blade, provided that the blade is sharp, you can produce quite acceptable planed end grain.

Auld Bassoon
6th August 2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Ian,

To get that 'slice' off in one piece on end grain is impressive.

I've never tried to use my #8 (with LN iron & chipbreaker) for shooting, but might just give it a whirl!

Mirboo
7th August 2006, 12:47 AM
The shavings came out all curly, but you could 'unroll' each of them to see a complete 'slice' of the moulding.

Schtoo
7th August 2006, 01:26 AM
Looks like you worked out what sharp really is... :)

Good, innit?

Mirboo
7th August 2006, 02:55 AM
Good, innit?
Yep.:)

JaD
7th August 2006, 08:38 PM
Is Mir showing off that he has mighty fine shavings or is he showing off that he has a Starrett vernier????:rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

Mirboo
7th August 2006, 08:53 PM
If I'd wanted to gloat I would have mentioned that the No. 8 plane I was using to generate the thin shavings is a Lie-Nielsen. :D It was actually the shavings I was bragging about.:rolleyes:

Auld Bassoon
7th August 2006, 08:56 PM
Aaarghh Ian, now I really hate you :D :D :D An LN #8 indeed Burger!

JaD
7th August 2006, 09:05 PM
:( :o OK.....Mr Mirboo. esq. wins...I fold:(

Guess i'll just go back to the shed and talk nicely to my #5 Stanley:rolleyes:

Does my Terry Gordon 3/4 Shoulder plane keep me in????:p :p

Bodgy
7th August 2006, 11:07 PM
:( :o OK.....Mr Mirboo. esq. wins...I fold:(

Guess i'll just go back to the shed and talk nicely to my #5 Stanley:rolleyes:

Does my Terry Gordon 3/4 Shoulder plane keep me in????:p :p

Nope, and I have just learned to hate the bugger too.

Mirboo
8th August 2006, 12:08 AM
Aww... Come on guys. I wouldn't have mentioned the plane if not for JaD's little dig. Its the shavings I was bragging about.:o

JaD,

The Terry Gordon 3/4 shoulder plane is a very nice bit of kit. I checked one out at the last Sydney Timber and Working With Wood show.

JaD
8th August 2006, 07:50 PM
The Terry Gordon 3/4 shoulder plane is a very nice bit of kit. I checked one out at the last Sydney Timber and Working With Wood show.

Thats where I was impressed by his planes too, only 2 yrs ago.

Its such a handy little bugger for tenons,rebates and the like, among other uses, some he probably wouldn't like to know about:o and you can reverse the blade to use it as a scraper

He really does make some handy handsome planes:) :D

zenwood
9th August 2006, 12:35 PM
Yep I use my #7 for shooting for the same reason. Are you planing at 90 degrees to the grain or at 45 -- hard to tell from the photos.

Here's a challenge: get the same result on radiata!

Auld Bassoon
9th August 2006, 06:14 PM
Aww... Come on guys

:D :D Just a friendly size 11 in the nuts mate, no worries :eek: :D :D :D

But then I do have my Spiers Smoother replica to keep in the game ;)

Mirboo
9th August 2006, 06:53 PM
Are you planing at 90 degrees to the grain or at 45 -- hard to tell from the photos.
The pictures are of some 45 degree mitres I was shooting.

I'm tipping radiata pine would be a bit more tricky. I'ss see how I go next time I use some.

Steve, I do like your Spiers replica. I enjoyed the thread where you described assembling it.

meerkat
9th August 2006, 06:57 PM
I gotta agree with you there bud. Nothing like a sharp blade to work with.

Since i got my japanese waterstones, I still can't get over how I can see myself reflected in the blade.