PDA

View Full Version : Posting Wood Items Overseas

Toasty
6th August 2006, 06:38 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if there are any issues/problems with posting turned items overseas, mainly to the US and UK.

Watching that Australian Border Security show each week they seem to get a wee bit excited over wood products coming into Australia. So what is it like with other borders via the postal system?

hughie
6th August 2006, 09:38 PM
Just wondering if there are any issues/problems with posting turned items overseas, mainly to the US and UK.

Watching that Australian Border Security show each week they seem to get a wee bit excited over wood products coming into Australia. So what is it like with other borders via the postal system?
[/QUOTE]

I am in the process of recieving and have just sent. So I will keep you posted, its only a matter of weeks

lubbing5cherubs
6th August 2006, 09:42 PM
HI Toasty, I did the pen swap with US that was on the pen shop. I posted a box of wood and I received a box of wood. The one I sent out they got no hassle. I got mine but I got a letter from customs saying that I could do nothing it will get destroyed, or pay $50 to get the 4 items that were confiscated out of my box. They only took out the antler horn and a piece with bark. Those things are not allowed.

You can more information is
http://www.aqis.gov.au
bye Toni

OGYT
7th August 2006, 12:48 AM
I'm the one posting with Hughie. Hope they don't steal his Bois d'Arc, as it's still got some bark on it.

"They only took out the antler horn and a piece with bark. Those things are not allowed."

I didn't know that bit of information, Hughie; keep us posted on what happens with Oz Customs. I'll post another without the bark if necessary.

hughie
7th August 2006, 12:54 AM
"
They only took out the antler horn and a piece with bark. Those things are not allowed."[quote]

Al, Ooooooops, hmm well we will wait and see.It depends on whether they open it or not. Not everything is opened.

Zsteve
7th August 2006, 11:33 PM
For imports into Australia wooden items with bark are a real issue, particularly as bark can hide many nasty crawlies.

technically though You can request AQIS to have it irradiated or heat treated. If wood is sound and has no evidence of borer activity (visible exit holes ) then it should be ok, bark can be removed.

For exporting wood its really up to the coutry you are sending it to. Many countries dont worry too much what they let in. COntact the emabasy in Australia of the country you wan to send something to. Or look at the AQIS Phyto database. www.aqis.gov.au/phyto

REgards

Purpleheart
7th August 2006, 11:52 PM
I have had about 20 cue butt blanks (birds eye maple) sent to me from the US over the years and never had any problems with them gettin here, some had a little bark on them but not much.

Have also been sent some bits of wood from canada with no problems.

I have sent wood to the US as well, with no dramas.

Might just be "luck of the draw".

Purpleheart
7th August 2006, 11:56 PM
Not sure why the Antler Horn was a problem.

Its not like its Ivory.

I have also imported camel bone with no problems, which for all intensive purposes would look similar. (Well, it was milled into small slabs).

Was it a complete Antler Horn....?

Might have needed paperwork....(or not), if you get my meaning !!

aussieglen
8th August 2006, 01:09 AM
My experience in sending small gift items to UK is that if they are painted, varnished, sealed etc then no problem. They object to raw green stuff which is understandable.
Aussieglen

lubbing5cherubs
8th August 2006, 01:13 AM
no they were pen blanks antler not full ones.. They have to be radiated irradated whatever that means.
Toni

hcbph
8th August 2006, 04:08 AM
If I had to guess (over the normal stuff) Elm or Ash might be an issue. There's the Dutch Elm Disease and now some type of Ash bug that's raising havoc with eastern Ash. Most of those things live in the bark, so if the bark is gone then I'm guessing it would be ok.

Paul

lubbing5cherubs
8th August 2006, 09:17 AM
This all happened on the 26th of July so it is still pretty up to date information. and as you said not everything is open so I hope you don't get opened.
bye Toni

OGYT
8th August 2006, 01:07 PM
Zsteve, you said to ask AQIS to irradiate it... who has to do the asking... the sender or the addressee?

Zsteve
8th August 2006, 01:21 PM
The addressee (person receiving the goods).

There's also the option of fumigation, it can depend on on the item as per what treatment they will allow, but all of them have a fee associated with it.

Regards

lubbing5cherubs
8th August 2006, 01:53 PM
yes there is costs $42.50 I could pay, I could do nothing and not get the gear, or I can get the gear sent back and it costs the addresser the money
bye Toni

PAH1
8th August 2006, 04:48 PM
Why it is becoming an issue is because there are a couple of new diseases floating about that we do not want, sudden oak death, pine pitch canker and guava rust. As the research is new as to what species can host the diseases the things that they confiscate change over time. The antler would have been confiscated under ordinary circumstances anyway as it can host a range of diseases including anthrax or rabies. I am surprised that camel bone made it through but then again I have seend some interesting things make it through that should never have