PDA

View Full Version : A new bowl with photos.

powderpost
6th August 2006, 08:44 PM
Got an extended leave pass to do this one. See how I prostrate myself you you people? :) Made another one of those hollow forms with the curvy bits on top. Took some photos of the process along the way.
The first photo shows the beginning of the process. Note the small piece with the white layer on an angle. That is the secret to the curved pattern that developes as it is turned. It is absolutely critical that this is a square and the pieces glued so that all the colours are in the correct plane

The square is then quartered and the inserts glued in.
The inserts consists of two pieces, a chevron (angled thingys) and a parallel section.
Finished inserts.
The square white bit was made up and fitted before turning. The completed square was then cut into a circle and turned. The bottom portion was a disc of timber with a twelve sided ring glued to it before gluing on the top portion.
Thats all there is to it. See I told you it was simple. :)
Jim

powderpost
6th August 2006, 08:51 PM
Oops, The "first" photo is actuall at the bottom, :o and I also didn't include a photo of the finished bowl which is 175mm diameter. As a matter of interest it is made from black walnut and pine.
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th August 2006, 08:57 PM
Simple, 'e says. Simple! :eek:

Lovely piece Jim, but what's it for? [Grins, ducks, runs...]

hughie
6th August 2006, 09:34 PM
Simple, 'e says. Simple! :eek:

He did, didn't he, 'eeeee its sooo simple.

as always when you know how :D

nice one!..............consistent quality :)

tonysa
6th August 2006, 10:02 PM
good stuff Jim, interesting piece !
one question tho, what did you use to clean up the edges of the inserts before you glued 'em together so they jointed so neatly ?
cheers
TonySA

ss_11000
6th August 2006, 10:29 PM
cool. another great piece jim.

powderpost
6th August 2006, 10:43 PM
Tony, all the joints are straight off the saw. I have gone to a lot of trouble to use a fine tooth saw blade and make sure it is at right angles to the bench top. The geometry of the whole execise is critical to its success, ie cuts at right angles, and joints must be square and/or radial. I found out the hardway. The first four of these were used to start bar-b-cue fires. As far as I know, I pioneered this concept therefore stuff ups were inevitable before an outcome was satisfactory. Geez, I hope this doesn't sound like I have climbed up on a pedestal. :o
Jim

lubbing5cherubs
6th August 2006, 11:12 PM
how do you know what angles to cut it though?
Toni

tonysa
7th August 2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks for update Jim. Got any side on pics ? still trying to get my head around the construction.

As it happens I just treated myself to 60 toother, just waiting for time in the shed to test it out.
Might even have a go at something like this, just gotta get a better mitre slide that doesn't have 1mm slop from side to side.
dimples didn't work for me, what do you use ?
I'm thinking of one of the incra after market adjusyable slides ?
cheers
tony

OGYT
7th August 2006, 12:39 AM
Tonysa, I had and Incra Jig, TS III System for about 5 years. It's top notch. Adjustable accurate to 1/1000 of an inch. Sold it when I quit flat work, about 3 months ago.
It's pricey, but worth every penny.

TTIT
7th August 2006, 09:02 AM
Thats all there is to it. See I told you it was simple. :)
Jim

Yeah right!!!!:rolleyes: I at least have an inkling of how you did it now - it won't happen overnight, but it will happen - if I can ever get my saw tuned that well!!;):D:D:D. A beautiful piece as alway Jim.:D You know you've left yourself nowhere to go if you tackle another style now - everybody will be expecting nothing less than perfection.:)

OGYT
7th August 2006, 11:55 AM
PowderPost, that's an awesome piece of work, by the way. Forgot to say that.
I hold you segmenters up on a pedestal. I don't have that sort of patience... or creativity. Exceptional work. Beautiful form.

powderpost
7th August 2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, but the purpose of this exercise was to take some wip photos.
Toni, to get the angles for any project, I do a full size, accurate set out on paper before starting, this is absolutely necessary with all these projects.
TT, There is always room for improvement. In fact I have an interesting 'Jar' form on the drawing board. It is proving to be a bit of a challenge.:)
Tony, I use a Kreg mitre gauge which has adjustable slides, similar to the Incra jig. I have also posted a side view to help you nut it out. Good luck. :)
Where are your segmented photos Skew? :D
Jim

powderpost
7th August 2006, 08:58 PM
Bugger, forgot the photo..... :o
Jim

tonysa
7th August 2006, 10:22 PM
looks pretty fantastic Jim
thanks for info on your mitre gauge setup, looks like thats the way to go
nice finish too shellawax/ shellac ?
tony

thanks for the info OGYT, i received a demo dvd from gwhat friday and have been having fun watching it - the incra looks a good set up :) like all these damn ww tools, the good ones are always sooooo expensive