PDA

View Full Version : GMC collets

Wombat2
7th August 2006, 02:44 PM
Bought a GMC 1550W Router kit for $50 at the Rocky Swapmeet. The guy had a heap of "warranty returns" - it looked OK, half the bits were missing but no great loss all the other accessories appeared to be there till I got it home and realised the collets were missing. Tried ringing GMC service but was left hanging for 10 minutes and gave up, tried emailing and it bounced. Does anyone know it replacement collets are available? or have I bought a lemon?

David L

urban-wombat
7th August 2006, 11:03 PM
I needed replacement screws for the base of my router.. couldn't fine any of the required size in the local hardware shops.. so.. I phoned GMC and was told I can't order direct from them.. but..Bunnings or Home Hardware can .. so ..one day when I get my act together.. will as Home HW if they can get 'em for me..Col

Wombat2
8th August 2006, 02:35 PM
Bonus - found the collet had come off the nut and was jammed inside the shaft. After looking at a unit at the local Mitre 10, I realised the circlip floating around the box was off the end of the collet and held the nut on so with a bit of a fiddle and some effort to clean the thread up to wind the nut all the way down - fitted the clip and wound the the collet out with the help of the spanner. :D Obviously the Service people at GMC are not mechanically minded and it was easier to replace the unit than even look at it. Still need a 1/4" collet but got a good router for $50 :D :D

David L

scooter
8th August 2006, 06:32 PM
Good for you, David :)

Cheers.............Sean