PDA

View Full Version : Bowl with Turquoise test

dai sensei
7th August 2006, 10:12 PM
Here is a Tibouchina Noeleen bowl with a rebate filled with broken fragments of turquoise in resin. I had to use a dremmel with a sanding attachment as my chisels wouldn't touch the turquoise. Still worked out and now I'm trying the same on a plate rim. It adds that extra bit of colour and feature.

Cheers

journeyman Mick
7th August 2006, 10:46 PM
Neil,
Watch out!:eek: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=351121#post351121
;)

Mick
PS if you have no luck with freighting your son's cabinet go and see Gary Pye, he can do it for you.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th August 2006, 10:55 PM
Very. very nice. :)

It's a bit hard to tell from the pic; is the turquoise set in a continous strip over the flaw in the far side of the bowl? You might have probs in the future with it cracking there if you did...

...but very nice just the same.

Cliff Rogers
7th August 2006, 11:04 PM
Good one, what is the blue sheyet in the rim? ;) :D

Purpleheart
7th August 2006, 11:43 PM
Love the torquoise inlay mate !!:)

TTIT
8th August 2006, 08:49 AM
Very effective :) Good looking piece Neil. Wouldn't mind trying the same thing with our local gemstones but Sapphire would be a bit on the tricky side to wear down!!!!:o

hughie
8th August 2006, 11:19 AM
Wouldn't mind trying the same thing with our local gemstones but Sapphire would be a bit on the tricky side to wear down

No worries Vern, just get into it with a 6" grinder matey, rip into it she'll be right mate. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hickory
8th August 2006, 12:16 PM
Very nice touch, I have seen similar before from a fellow who used finer ground Turquoise in resin, he didn't mention the hardness so I assume the powered cut easier. But I like your's better, more natural looking. The Opal sounds exciting.

One thought to consider.... Where the bowl is figured, the gap in the wood or grain opening, your ring is continuous... to my eye it interrupted the flow of the wood. (I'm not discribing what I see, well) but if you were to crease or dimple in the ring to compliment the wood figuring, would it look as though the ring was truly a part of the wood. And Not an afterthought.

Maybe I am off base and others think differently, NOt to lessen the look of your work but that is the thought that I conjured up as I looked at the piece. Quite an impressive piece but this was my thinking.

Thanks for the posting and the picture, I am inspired to add this to my growing list of things to do.

Gil Jones
8th August 2006, 12:18 PM
Neil, your bowl looks fine, and I like the Turquoise!
I use fine crushed Turquoise to fill cracks and voids. Do not try to turn it with a gouge, but it is easy to work with sanding disks. This pic is a small Red Oak bowl, with finely crushed Turquoise powder set with CA.

OGYT
8th August 2006, 12:50 PM
Neil, it's a beauty. Took a lot of time, I think, but you done good. I like the larger pieces of turquoise, better than my finely crushed. I use epoxy to mix with the turquoise, because to me it's easier to pack it in to the little nooks and crannies in the inclusions. It takes longer to set, but to me it's easier to use than CA. If I'm in a hurry, I'll use CA, though.
Making a rebate to fill is a good idea. That feature sure set that bowl apart.
That wood... I can't even pronounce it... looks so much like our Texas Mesquite, that it's uncanny.
Good job!

dai sensei
8th August 2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

Skew & Hickory - yes it is continuous over faults, and yes even while turning the resin did crack (I even lost a few pieces of stone:mad: )

Gil - nice touch to the bowl, I like the finely crushed stone.

Gil & Al - how do you crush your stone and not lose it? I bashed mine with a hammer in a recess, but still lost the odd piece. I got mine in small pieces from the markets and I also have my doubts about it being real (small bag for $5). There was a lot of white amongst the fines, and why I left it chunky.

Cheers

Gil Jones
9th August 2006, 10:34 AM
Neil, I have a 1/2" ID x 4 1/2" long SS tube, and a 1/2" x 6" long bolt, sitting in a small SS kitchen bowl. I put some Turquoise chips in the tube, drop the bolt in, and smack it with a hammer until the stone is pulverized. I admit that I need to find a better way, as some of the bits jump out of the SS bowl, but for now it works okay.

OGYT
9th August 2006, 10:57 AM
Neil and Gil
Here's a couple of pics of my crushing stuff. A friend made it for me.
The box is 16x16x4 centimeters (6X6X1-1/4 Gil), the lid is just slightly smaller, to fit down inside the box, and is made from 1/2 inch plate steel, with a shortened railroad spike welded on for a handle.
I throw in some turquoise and hit the spike with a two pound hammer. The sides keep the turquoise from scattering out. Sometimes I have to beat it a little around the spike, but it works well. I don't work on my lathe bed, though. :eek: I just sat it there to take the pic.
Hughie... you proud of me? I got a metric ruler. (grin)

lubbing5cherubs
9th August 2006, 02:21 PM
wonder if that would work with opal chips?
Toni

Gil Jones
9th August 2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks, Al, pretty neat crusher!! Check your email, I sent you a conversion program.

dai sensei
9th August 2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the crushing hints Al & Gil.

Perhaps I can combine both ideas - a strong capped pipe, bolt with end plate that fits within - place rock in tube, insert bolt, then bash with hammer.

Terry B
9th August 2006, 11:02 PM
wonder if that would work with opal chips?
Toni

I don't think so. If you crush opal finely it just turns into sand.

powderpost
9th August 2006, 11:20 PM
Neil, I like the effect you have with the turquoise, looks really nice. Where did you get the turquoise from?
Jim

hughie
10th August 2006, 01:59 AM
Perhaps I can combine both ideas - a strong capped pipe, bolt with end plate that fits within - place rock in tube, insert bolt, then bash with hammer.
[/QUOTE]

Neil have you considered using Abalone or Paua shell ?

http://www.reijewellery.co.nz/what_is_paua.htm

http://www.noosaathome.com.au/
http://meme.essortment.com/pauashelljewel_ravb.htm

dai sensei
10th August 2006, 08:41 PM
Nice work Hughie. Yes I have thought of abalone, I dive for them each Xmas whilst down south, just too rough last year and I didn't get any.

Jim - I got mine from a jewelry stall at the markets. They had small bags and bracelets, both for $5 each. There was more stones in the bag. I was actually looking for green stuff and the blue caught my eye.

OGYT
11th August 2006, 02:26 AM
Neil and Jim, there's a guy on ebay that sells 1/2 pound bags of freshly mined turquoise. Just search for mined turquoise. If you email him, I think you can get it for about $5 US per bag. Maybe even cheaper.
I don't know if that's a good price for ya'll downunders...
None of it's polished... but if you're gonna crush it or grind it a mite, no sweat. :o