PDA

View Full Version : Alex gave me a piece of Huon

craigb
8th August 2006, 10:42 PM
The other week when I dropped in to AlexS's place to pick up some planer knives I was dropping off for him, he kindly gave me a piece of Huon (about 600x120)

Hmm, time for some d/t practice I thought :) The small box turned out o.k. I think. It's not perfect but I had fun doing it.

Thanks Alex!

Driver
9th August 2006, 09:18 AM
Good work, Craig! Well done. I like the proportions of the dovetails - and that is a nice piece of timber.

Col

RufflyRustic
9th August 2006, 09:38 AM
Lovely! Turned out beautifully!

Cheers
Wendy

silentC
9th August 2006, 10:00 AM
Very nice Mr B.

Gumby
9th August 2006, 10:04 AM
Very nice mate. What did you cut the dovetails with ?

silentC
9th August 2006, 10:07 AM
His razor wit!

craigb
9th August 2006, 10:35 AM
His razor wit!
:D

And an Adria dovetail saw. ;)

Wongo
9th August 2006, 10:46 AM
Oh Craig, thats noice. I like it.

DPB
9th August 2006, 10:53 AM
My favorite timber - simple, clean lines - a nice result - doesn't get any better than that.:)

craigb
9th August 2006, 11:00 AM
Tnanks for the kind words. As I say, there is room for improvement. You'd notice several blemishes if you saw it "in the flesh". :o

Seems like every time I do a box I get a little better. I figure I'll get a perfect result in oh, about 2020. :D

I hadn't worked Huon before. Works nicely doesnt' it?

Although it can be a little bit prone to tearout around the wavy parts of the grain.

Cheers
Craig

silentC
9th August 2006, 11:07 AM
You'd notice several blemishes if you saw it "in the flesh".
Mate, that is what makes it handmade. That little box I made for the missus is probably the thing I'm most proud of and I can point out several things on it that aren't right.

There's nothing wrong with striving for perfection, but when you get there, then where do you go? ;)

ptc
9th August 2006, 11:24 AM
Very nice.
Smells good too

Felder
9th August 2006, 11:30 AM
There's nothing wrong with striving for perfection, but when you get there, then where do you go? ;)

Well personally, I just keep going to the office every day.

:p

Felder
9th August 2006, 11:34 AM
Smells good too

You're computer must be more sophisticated than mine. I can't smell it.:(

I do have a cold, though. http://www.ubeaut.biz/flu.gif

Looks good, Craig!

zenwood
9th August 2006, 11:59 AM
Very nice box.

Wood Borer
9th August 2006, 12:47 PM
Well done Craig - nice dovetails.

Wardy
9th August 2006, 01:56 PM
excellent box craig.nice piece of huon too.
cheers
wardy:)

Wild Dingo
9th August 2006, 02:38 PM
Beautiful box Craig :cool: ... aint that Huon something else? I mean it works beautifully it feels wonderful and it smells just bloody stunning!.... oh and it looks pretty damned sharp to! ;)

AlexS
9th August 2006, 02:49 PM
Very nice result Craig - you couldn't have wasted much.:cool:
The dovetails look great - love those London pins - they show it's hand made and have excellent proportions.

craigb
9th August 2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks Alex. No there's not much left. Only a piece about 110x180x6 and a few slivers.
:D

Auld Bassoon
9th August 2006, 05:17 PM
Looks good Graig. Of course being in Huon helps, eh? :)

zenwood
9th August 2006, 06:20 PM
... love those London pins ...
Never heard that term before. What does it mean?

AlexS
9th August 2006, 07:07 PM
Never heard that term before. What does it mean?
Those really fine pins are called 'London pins'. Not sure why, but it seems to be a fairly common term in English books/mags.

MajorPanic
9th August 2006, 08:26 PM
Very nice work Craig! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

It's nice working with Huon isn't it? ;) :D

Auzzie turner
9th August 2006, 08:31 PM
never worked it

craigb
9th August 2006, 08:44 PM
It's nice working with Huon isn't it? ;) :D

Yes Major it sure is. :)

I'll be doing it again for sure.

I couldn't help but wonder how old the piece was that I was working. Huon being such a slow growing tree it could easily have come from a tree that was growing when Cook sited Tassie. :eek:

Definitely not a timber you want to waste.

Timber Supplier, try it!

silentC
10th August 2006, 09:38 AM
Those really fine pins are called 'London pins'. Not sure why, but it seems to be a fairly common term in English books/mags
I read about it in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovetail_joint), so it must be true ;)

craigb
10th August 2006, 09:45 AM
Quoting yourself now silent? :p :D :D

Well done on the article. :)

silentC
10th August 2006, 09:50 AM
Can't take credit for it, most was written by someone else - but I added the bit about London Pins. So I hope Alex is right. Anyway, he is now ;)

AlexS
10th August 2006, 10:28 AM
Can't take credit for it, most was written by someone else - but I added the bit about London Pins. So I hope Alex is right. Anyway, he is now ;)

:D :D :D :D :D

zenwood
10th August 2006, 10:42 AM
So I hope Alex is right. Anyway, he is now ;) It now has a high degree of truthiness.

keith53
10th August 2006, 11:35 AM

At last, a way to explain the little stuffups err idiosynchrocies that inveitably happen. Good work Silent, :D