PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible

lubbing5cherubs
9th August 2006, 01:45 PM
Hi I am wondering if I can do this. You know when you see a log with a huge star on the end. My idea is to fill that star with resin and dye. Should I wait til this wood is totally dry before I turn anything. Or it won't really matter can I just refill up the holes with more resin? Has anyone tried this that may have some usuable tips. Will the resin adhere to the wood?
bye Toni:cool: :rolleyes: :) :D

Gil Jones
9th August 2006, 02:10 PM
Hi Toni, I think a picture would be nice. By star, do you mean a hole in the heartwood, as in rotted out or bug eaten? Seems like a big waste of resin, as most of it would be turned away. I like to work on solid wood if possible. Of course, you are always free to try it and report back on your results.:D

lubbing5cherubs
9th August 2006, 02:14 PM
You know when you look at a piece that is drying how the round end splits into a star. I think it is all heart cracking away.
Mine is full with resin. I have it setting now. It only used 1/4 a cup of resin all up So I can't show you but I am concerned will it be able to hold to turn.
Toni

DJ’s Timber
9th August 2006, 02:55 PM
G'day Toni

If you mounting the piece so that the heart is parrellal to the bed on your lathe and it is a thin blank, I would be very careful as the star shape splits can continue right out to the egde of the log. The star shape split is running with the grain and the forces applied from spinning it at high speed can cause it to open up. I would be using an epoxy the has bonding properties rather than a casting or filling resin.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th August 2006, 08:40 PM
I can't believe I hadn't thought of trying this myself! It's exactly the sort of thing i like to fiddle with...

Go for it! So long as you keep in mind that there are potential risks and do your best to minimise 'em (eg. I'd be inclined to wrap both ends in duct tape during roughing, so that if a piece does come adrift it won't go flying off) then it's certainly worth a try.

You may not turn out a masterpiece the first time, but you'd certainly learn enough to do better on the next... ;)

lubbing5cherubs
9th August 2006, 09:24 PM
Idea was alright but can't see if it going to work until I get better bench top for my lathe she is not like it very much so I am giving that til then it too dangerous so I am chickening out. plus I don't want to bugger up my lathe she is just walking too scary for me.
One wuzzed out girl
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th August 2006, 11:36 PM
That is where a bandsaw and other tools come in handy.

Before I bought my larger lathes I did quite a few items that just barely fitted on my poor little Leda, but she bore up to it well. I did develop a bag of tricks to both reduce the stress on the lathe and make it safer all 'round... After all, I didn't want to break either her or me. :)

First, using a bandsaw, handplanes and a few other tools, I'd round the blank as much as possible while it's off the lathe. Then I'd loosen off the drive-belt and move it to the smallest pulleys top'n'bottom. You can't run the lathe like this of course, but it means the drivespur "freewheels" easily. So, mounting the unbalanced blank between centres, the heaviest part would roll to the bottom, where I'd mark it with a bit of chalk.

Next, I'd roll the chalkmark to the top and use a couple of timber wedges between the bed and the blank, to hold it solid while I used a hand-plane on the top. Remove the wedges, see if it rolls again, repeat the process.

When it only rolls very slowly, hook the belt back up at slowest speed, start 'er up and things should be much safer. :)

hughie
10th August 2006, 01:35 AM
[quote=lubbing5cherubs]Hi I am wondering if I can do this. You know when you see a log with a huge star on the end. My idea is to fill that star with resin and dye. Should I wait til this wood is totally dry before I turn anything. Or it won't really matter can I just refill up the holes with more resin? Has anyone tried this that may have some usable tips. Will the resin adhere to the wood?

Toni,
I have had some experience with this. With cut branches this leaves the star effect on the sides of the bowl.
What I have done is to watch the star grow until it gets to a size either I fancy, or is just plain getting to big :eek: I then fill the outer tips of the star with CA. This slows ands stops it progressing to much further. If the timber is not dry you will have to monitor it and maybe add more CA.
I then just prior to turning try and fill the gap with shavings of the same timber and more CA.
Resin? epoxy resin? Epoxy resin will stick no worries. I use 5 min.Araldite cos usually the wood is very weak at this point and the Araldite will give a lot of support to the weak areas. Dyeing is not a problem, just add the dye before you mix it together.
Hope this helps

lubbing5cherubs
10th August 2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks Skew, but I did get it pretty round and turned her the lowest to make sure she right but I decided No not today.. I think the biggest thing is my table is an old desk that I shoved an old duchess top on til my lathe room is done and the proper counter is made..You know those temporary permanent things that happen. It was suppose to be only to the weekend when i got it. Well it been a real long week she still coming. I have not put the pressure on hubby though. He has been rebuilding since the fire. SO getting the new bedrooms were the priority. Now he finished he will get round to my play room.
Toni