PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet assembly

George
13th January 2003, 05:10 PM
Can anyone tell me how cabinet makers fasten panels of kitchen cabinets together in situations where screwing from the outside of the carcass would be visible (eg a breakfast bar style where the back and end of the cabinet is visible rather than fully built in against a wall).
I am guessing they use internal knockdown fittings or laminate after assembly to hide external screw heads?

DarrylF
13th January 2003, 07:35 PM
Usually cam locks. They are usually inserted into holes drilled using machines designed for the purpose, but it's perfectly possible to set up jigs on a decent drill press and drill for them yourself. You'll need a good set of forstener bits, but they're handy for a whole range of things.

Any good cabinet supplier should stock everything you need.

If you've only got a panel or two to do you might find it quicker to laminate instead of setting up the jigs.

Geoff Sims
14th January 2003, 02:04 AM
I've got a mate who owns a cabinetmakers shop. He always just screws through from the outside of the carcass and laminates over the top of it. He says it's a lot faster, a lot easier and a lot cheaper. Time is money.

soundman
14th January 2003, 04:01 PM
there are all sorts of devious means that are used to hold cabinets together some of them quite nice some of them very nasty.

You must understand that the vast majority of kitchen cabinets are built as cheap as possible so in the most part don't expect anything too clever.

That said just a look at the hafele catalogue will show you a vast array ( pages & pages )of knock down fixings but only a few quality bassed makers bother.

Sorry to bust you bubble but we are talking chip board & melamine.

cheers

Aj_AWGAUSTRALIA
12th November 2003, 03:20 PM
We have some great systems ready to go if your interested. All standard size kitchen carcases flat packed with cam locks in place. Which means you only have to put it together with a screw driver and there are no screws showing on the out side. Great system and i can also custom build to your sizes. Call me for a free quote. (03) 97611288 Our prices are very competitive and this system saves you so much time! Hope to hear from you.

Aj Wickham
Production
AWG AUSTRALIA

GCP310
12th November 2003, 06:49 PM
For the home constructor, drop the camlock idea.

the can be more of a pain then they really are.

Generally, geoff is correct. you have an internal whiteboard hmr carcase that has two wallsides,base,toprail and back (+ or - a shelf) then you have a false gable which is fixed thru the internal carcase wallside with 28mm x 8g chipboard screws.

Cams are great, if you have a machine like a biesse or woodmaster cnc machine with the relevant software. there are jigs available,but costly.

the screw and laminate works well too.

My two cents

G