PDA

View Full Version : Resin idea Take #1

lubbing5cherubs
10th August 2006, 08:08 PM
HI Skewy and others that were interested in that star bottom that I filled with resin. well today I didn't totally give up on my idea, I took it to my FIL and we got out his old GMC that we do not care if it went Bang in the process. Well here is take 1 of the idea...Looking good!!
Toni

TTIT
11th August 2006, 09:05 AM
Toni - I thought you were talking about whopping great big cracks, not baby stuff like that.;) Filling those with epoxy will work fine, I've done a fair few the same way - usually a bit of black dye mixed in for a strong contrast.:D What did you mix with the epoxy to get the white color or was that how it came out of the tube?

Gil Jones
11th August 2006, 12:14 PM
Toni, What Vern said. I was thinking star shaped voids. These little cracks are not any trouble. Post a pic of it finished.

hughie
11th August 2006, 12:36 PM
Toni, What Vern said. I was thinking star shaped voids. These little cracks are not any trouble. Post a pic of it finished.

Yeah me too, :D I was thinking about the horrendous voids I got with some redgum and naturally associated it with your idea.

Still I am following this thread with interest. :)

lubbing5cherubs
11th August 2006, 02:09 PM
sorry guy still learning you talk
Toni

Gil Jones
11th August 2006, 02:15 PM
No problem, Toni, I am still learning too.
If possible, pictures along with questions are helpful.
They take away most of the guesswork.

lubbing5cherubs
11th August 2006, 02:16 PM
Toni - I thought you were talking about whopping great big cracks, not baby stuff like that.;) Filling those with epoxy will work fine, I've done a fair few the same way - usually a bit of black dye mixed in for a strong contrast.:D What did you mix with the epoxy to get the white color or was that how it came out of the tube?

I used white resin and pink dye in the hole to get the colouring..that is the base of the trunk on the end
bye
Toni

TTIT
11th August 2006, 02:37 PM
I used white resin and pink dye in the hole to get the colouring..that is the base of the trunk on the end
bye
Toni

Can't wait to see the result - 'pink' :eek: . Not a color too many woodies would choose - should be interesting :) :)

OGYT
11th August 2006, 02:53 PM
Pipe th' color... matches me eyes!

lubbing5cherubs
11th August 2006, 10:26 PM
I chose pink because the wood had a pinkish tinge plus I like pink so I played. Monday i get to turn her though I have family visiting me til then. Plus hubby today flooded my lathe floor so it slosh...Hmm...Lol so on monday I will post the next lot of photos up
bye Toni

lubbing5cherubs
21st August 2006, 05:06 PM

I was but my FIL would not cut that for me too much damage. PIA he is. I now have it to the sanding stage so tonight she will be finished
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2006, 08:20 PM
Enough of the teasers... we want pix! :D ;)

lubbing5cherubs
21st August 2006, 09:22 PM
Here we go.. I am happy with it but I do think I am going to put it back on the lathe and see if I can sand it better but I am worried about it blowing to bits some places are getting real thin on the side. The Resin worked well the let down was my inexperience with the turning bowls. How do you turn where the bottom of the bowl is to make a better foot and how do you sand that part?
Enjoy Toni
Here it is

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2006, 10:39 PM
I can see why you wanted to salvage that piece of wood... it has some nice grain in it. :)

One thing you have to keep in mind when turning a bowl is how you're going to clean up the foot. If you're chucking the blank with a stub the way you have done, you really need to either make the stub long enough so that you can part off or you need something to hold the bowl "upside down" so you can turn it more normally.

You could make what's called a jam-chuck, which is basically a disk mounted on a faceplate with a hollow in the middle that the bowl is "wedged into." A technique worth learning but it has a few problems. Like, you need a different one for almost every size...

A better method is to buy (or make!) a set of Cole Jaw's for your chuck. Pic 1 is my home-made set, just ply and 4 chair rubbers. It'll grab either inside or outside the bowl, depending on the bowl's shape but it doesn't hold very securely. Light touches with sharp tools unless you like frisbees. ;)

Or, you could mount future bowls in a different way. Pic 2 & 3 show an old thing I've had rattling around here for years. Instead of a stub, a small recess is turned in the base and the chuck goes into this recess and is "expanded" to grip.

The way you mounted yours is still the strongest mount of all, though, and is my personal preference. You just need to remember to leave enough wood to make a foot from as well as part off. :D

Terry B
21st August 2006, 11:14 PM
Here we go.. I am happy with it but I do think I am going to put it back on the lathe and see if I can sand it better but I am worried about it blowing to bits some places are getting real thin on the side. The Resin worked well the let down was my inexperience with the turning bowls. How do you turn where the bottom of the bowl is to make a better foot and how do you sand that part?
Enjoy Toni
Here it is

Dear Toni
It is a bit late now but I find it is good if you can essentially finish the base before you take it off the faceplate to reverse it and hollow it. It saves this problem.
I suggestion at least for the very bottom is just to sand it smooth using an orbital sander (ie not on the lathe at all).
I have done this when a base has warped and I have leveled it after finishing turning.
Best wishes

TTIT
22nd August 2006, 10:03 AM
Skew and Terry pretty well covered it:) The jam chuck would be your best option unless you can get hold of some cole jaws easy. If you can find a bit of thick plywood (or glue several thin bits together) a bit bigger than your bowl, you can turn a recess into the face of it to 'jam' the bowl into. The trick is getting it sized just right but if you do take a little too much out and the bowl is a sloppy fit, jam it in with a couple of layers of tissue paper to take up the slack - does the trick!( I have to do this a lot :o:o:D ) The good thing about jam chucks is that you keep them all and when you turn a piece that is slightly bigger than the last, you turn a fraction more out of the recess and get to recycle it!:D
Looking very interesting with the pink filler :D