PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable

dazzler
11th August 2006, 06:57 PM
Hey

Not wood but a boat all the same.

Thinking of getting an Aquapro inflatable reef 290 (2.9m long, beam 1.5) and says it can take a 5hp motor.

Anyone had exp with this brand and also are all 5hp the same as in the amount of power they put out. I know that sounds silly but I really "dont know boats" so imagine that they go on the actual output not on engine size.

Would a 5hp get one up and boogin for fun?

cheers

Oh.....and Ill make a huon seat for it to make the wooden boat people happy:D

dazzler
24th August 2006, 11:41 PM
Fine

I just veneered it:mad:

:D

ian
24th August 2006, 11:56 PM
Fine

I just veneered it:mad:

:D

what the whole inflatable?

onthebeachalone
25th August 2006, 09:09 AM
That's it! We're gonna be rich!

Dazzler just invented the "inflatable woden boat building mould" just think how much time it would save. And the space it would save when NOT building. Just fold it up and put it away in a cupboard.

Brilliant! :D

bitingmidge
25th August 2006, 09:20 AM
Anyone had exp with this brand
I guess you can see by the replies the answer seems to be NO! ;)

and also are all 5hp the same as in the amount of power they put out. I know that sounds silly but I really "dont know boats" so imagine that they go on the actual output not on engine size.
Yes.

Depends what you mean by "boogin" and "fun" but yes it would adequately power an inflatable under normal circumstances!

I suggest that you find someone with one, or get the dealer to take you on a demo run to see if it meets your needs.

Don't expect to be towing waterskiers though.

Oh, and be careful where you chop up the bait! :D

P
:cool:

darrenyorston
25th August 2006, 10:36 AM
Hey

Not wood but a boat all the same.

Thinking of getting an Aquapro inflatable reef 290 (2.9m long, beam 1.5) and says it can take a 5hp motor.

Anyone had exp with this brand and also are all 5hp the same as in the amount of power they put out. I know that sounds silly but I really "dont know boats" so imagine that they go on the actual output not on engine size.

cheers

Oh.....and Ill make a huon seat for it to make the wooden boat people happy:D

Dazzler,
I have an Aquapro Sportman 860 (2.6m) with a 5hp Yamaha 2 stroke. There is no "get one up and boogin for fun" with it. My engine has yet to be run in however with two adults (160kg combined weight) it will barely plane in flat water. With a bit of swell forget it!

If you want to make it more lively you will need the max engine it will take. Probably a 9hp but definately an 8hp.

Darren

Felder
25th August 2006, 10:41 AM
it can take a 5hp motor.

Three phase or single phase?

:p

AlexS
25th August 2006, 09:58 PM
I have an Avon Redshank, about the same size as yours, but a river rafting boat really. It's supposed to take a 5hp motor, but once, for fun on a dam, we put on a 10 hp. Didn't make a scrap of difference. Then I deflated the front chamber to see what would happen. Again, still didn't make any difference. If it's a flat bottomed boat, it has a speed that it will get to, and that's it.

dazzler
25th August 2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks

Will prob go with a 3hp so that it doesnt need to be registered and the kids can have some fun. No skiing but:p

Just gunna put another coat of shellac and away we go:D

Boatmik
26th August 2006, 12:06 AM
I have an Avon Redshank, about the same size as yours, but a river rafting boat really. It's supposed to take a 5hp motor, but once, for fun on a dam, we put on a 10 hp. Didn't make a scrap of difference. Then I deflated the front chamber to see what would happen. Again, still didn't make any difference. If it's a flat bottomed boat, it has a speed that it will get to, and that's it.

Not quite true.

If an inflatable has wooden or other rigid material floorboards and a flat transom at the stern then the shape won't distort - and more power will make it plane effectively. With this sort of hullshape/structure then 8hp would give pretty close to 10 knots with one person aboard.

Without rigid floorboards and if it has a tube across the back (just did a quick check on the net - they call it a soft-tail) it will be limited by
1/ the distortion of the hull bottom
2/ the way the water wraps around the tube at the back flicking up to pull the tube down hard while kicking up a big stern wave - this is a highly effective way of turning horsepower into drag.

More horsepower = more drag.

In that case it will bog down really badly.

Daddles
26th August 2006, 01:39 AM
In that case it will bog down really badly.

And you still have to be very careful how you cut up bait :D

Richard

Boatmik
26th August 2006, 02:23 AM
No Probs

I'm a harpoon wielding vegetarian.

I don't NEED bait.

MIK

Iain
28th August 2006, 12:49 PM
I do not agree that all 5hp (or any HP for that matter) are the same, used to have a 7hp Honda for our trailer sailer and it put out considerably more than a lot of the big name engines.
I later found out that manufacturers have been known to be a little less than honest with the interpretation of figures, for example you will get a higher HP figure from the crankshaft than you will from the prop, which is a bit further down the drive chain, I also found out that HOnda measured their motors at the prop while others claimed a similar figure further back, hence more grunt from the 4 stroke.
I loved the HOnda but a couple of negatives, they are heavier and if you lay them down on the wrong side while transporting they self perform the first half of an oil change in the boot of your car, yes, they have a sump.
Positives are they are quiet, smokeless and it seems that they use bugger all petrol compared to a 2 stroke.