PDA

View Full Version : woodshow WA

Template Tom
11th August 2006, 10:46 PM
I have spent my first day demomstrating at the WA Wood show and I must confess I am exhausted.

I had the opportunity to demonstrate the new Hitachi router and it is a reat machine contrary to some of the reports i have seen posted in Various forums.

It is a great machine and I could recommenend it to anyone thinking of purchasing a router.

I had the opportunity to show a great variety of new routing procedure using the template guides and over the next two days I will introduce new projects and Jigs. So if you are in WA I hope to see you at the Saturday or Sunday demomstrations Look me up in the top section and i will introduce new routing techniques.
I would be interested in the comments from our WA router people who may have seen my demonstrations
Tom

BobL
11th August 2006, 11:01 PM
Hi Tom, I had very limited time at the show this morning and watched about 10 minutes worth of your presentation. I was definitely impressed at how quiet that router was.
Cheers
Bob

Harry72
13th August 2006, 01:15 AM
Whats the model # of the new Hitachi?

bookend
13th August 2006, 10:29 PM
I saw your Sunday 2.30 demo.

I liked the idea of using the template guide to attach the tight fitting shim/ spacer, for quick depth adjustment. Simple but elegant.

I have a question about the jig you used to make the ( male ) sliding dovetails for the table legs. How do you ensure that you get the angle the same? The foot of the leg was free so I assume there must have been some form of support inside the jig that I couldn't see from my seat.

Is this the case or did you just "eyeball" it to get the face on the leg touching the centre column, parallel with the jig surface?

Template Tom
14th August 2006, 01:05 PM
I saw your Sunday 2.30 demo.

I liked the idea of using the template guide to attach the tight fitting shim/ spacer, for quick depth adjustment. Simple but elegant.

I have a question about the jig you used to make the ( male ) sliding dovetails for the table legs. How do you ensure that you get the angle the same? The foot of the leg was free so I assume there must have been some form of support inside the jig that I couldn't see from my seat.

Is this the case or did you just "eyeball" it to get the face on the leg touching the centre column, parallel with the jig surface?

Not quite sure of what you mean by your first statement re the tight fitting shim/spacer.

The leg for the material was held secure with two large bolts through the jig to replace the use of clamps. I have devised a simple jig to ensure the leg is produced at the same level each time (I did not show that during the demonstration.

So yes I simply 'eyeballed it' I would have used the jig if I were producing a table.

Tom

Template Tom
14th August 2006, 01:09 PM
Harry

Enclosed is a pic of the new router????? Well I tried to post the pic but no success, anyway the number is M12V2 a great quiet machine
Tom

bookend
15th August 2006, 12:34 AM
Tom- The shim/ spacer was simply the square piece of MDF you kept attaching to the base of the router for your initial pass and then removing to make a slightly deeper pass.

Template Tom
16th August 2006, 01:08 PM
Tom- The shim/ spacer was simply the square piece of MDF you kept attaching to the base of the router for your initial pass and then removing to make a slightly deeper pass.

Graeme

The 'shim' was a piece of 4mm MDF which gave me the opportunity to set the depth of Cut properly
Tom

Ben from Vic.
16th December 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm seriously looking at the M12V2, anyone got any ideas how it compares with the Dewalt 625E?
I can get the Hitachi a little cheaper and it's a newer model, so I'm leaning that way.

The last router I used was a little D handle Makita 1010w that used to scream it's head off. It may have been 15 to 20 years old. They still sell it.

I'm looking for something smooth, quiet and variable speed, and can get the Hitachi for $420, which seems good to me.

Template Tom
16th December 2008, 05:06 PM
I'm seriously looking at the M12V2, anyone got any ideas how it compares with the Dewalt 625E?
I can get the Hitachi a little cheaper and it's a newer model, so I'm leaning that way.

The last router I used was a little D handle Makita 1010w that used to scream it's head off. It may have been 15 to 20 years old. They still sell it.

I'm looking for something smooth, quiet and variable speed, and can get the Hitachi for $420, which seems good to me.

Ben
There is no doubt that the Hitachi router is a great router and one great feature of this router it is capable of accepting a 40mm template guide and they are readily available. Another favourite of mine is the Makita I have three of them and two Hitachi Routers.
Need any further information just email me
Tom

Ben from Vic.
16th December 2008, 05:47 PM
Need any further information just email me
Tom

Thanks Tom, will do.:wink:

Interwood
16th December 2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Tom,

Ben
There is no doubt that the Hitachi router is a great router and one great feature of this router it is capable of accepting a 40mm template guide and they are readily available.
Tom

I have been trying to find a 40mm Template guide for my Triton Router ... without success.:?

If the Hitachi 40mm Template guide will fit, are you able to direct me to someone in Perth who will sell me one please?:D

Hitachi and their Dealers will only order one in if I can supply them with a part number, which I do not know. Are you able to advise what the part number is please?

Your contribution to these forums is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in anticipation,

Chris

Template Tom
16th December 2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Tom,

I have been trying to find a 40mm Template guide for my Triton Router ... without success.:?

If the Hitachi 40mm Template guide will fit, are you able to direct me to someone in Perth who will sell me one please?:D

Hitachi and their Dealers will only order one in if I can supply them with a part number, which I do not know. Are you able to advise what the part number is please?

Your contribution to these forums is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in anticipation,

Chris

Chris
If You are unable to find one I may have one here as a number of years ago I set off to South Australia to conduct a few workshops and I had a number made up at the time because I knew there would not be any available in S.A.
Where do you live in W.A. Perth suburb?
Tom

Interwood
17th December 2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks Tom,

I've sent you a PM with my details. I live in Mt Pleasant.

Hope that you have a great day today,

Best regards,

Chris

Template Tom
17th December 2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks Tom,

I've sent you a PM with my details. I live in Mt Pleasant.

Hope that you have a great day today,

Best regards,

Chris

Chris

I hope you got my details
Tom