PDA

View Full Version : Slippery floor

Gino
12th August 2006, 01:17 AM
I use Wax to seal my blanks for turning as most of you do. The other day I had an accident where I spilt some molten wax on my concrete floor in the shed and now even though I've scraped it off it is still quite slippery and I know it's only a matter of time before someone slips on it.

Anyone have any idea how to remove the wax to prevent the above.
A friend has suggested diluted Acid. Any other ideas before I proceed??

thanks

Gino

hughie
12th August 2006, 02:13 AM
Anyone have any idea how to remove the wax to prevent the above.
A friend has suggested diluted Acid. Any other ideas before I proceed??

Gino try heat but not a naked flame as the concrete will explode or boiling water.

rsser
12th August 2006, 09:20 AM
Brown paper under an old iron will soak some up, but may drive the rest into the pores.

Citrus cleaner is a chemical option.

durwood
12th August 2006, 12:25 PM
wax can be dissolved with solvent. the best ones would be lacquer thinner or wax and grease remover (prepsol the most common available) but turps would probably do it also, just a bit weaker.

You could do a test by placing a speck of wax in a cup and putting a solvent on it to see if it dissolves.

OGYT
12th August 2006, 01:03 PM
Gino, don't ya just love this forum? Helpful bunch of people, here.
I've learned a bunch from them.
I spilled anchor seal on my plywood floor, and just wiped it up with rags, and put shavings on it for a while. It's still slick. Now I'm gonna try some mineral spirits or lacquer thinner.
Thanks all.
Gino, thanks for asking the question.

Gino
12th August 2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks Guy's for your help it's appreciated, They all sound like viable options I'll just wait a few more days before trying them incase anyone else has any other ideas.
Any yes you are a bunch of helpfull people. I've never had a question gone unanswered, and even answered a few myself.

regards

Gino

soundman
13th August 2006, 11:14 PM
If you are going to use solvent to cleen up stuff off floors, mix it with fine sand and scrub with whatever then scoop up with a pan or shovel.

the sand will reduce evaporation of the solvent and thus fumes and danger and will keep the solvent where it is needed longer and the sand will act as an abrasive and carrier to hold the crap for removal.

if you have a tough spludge of stuff on the floor leave the sand and solvent sit for a while to work on the problem before you have at it.

cheers

Gino
14th August 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks Soundman.

Wouldn't have thought of the sand trick.
Spoke to a concreter at a BBQ yesterday and he suggested solvent and if that did not work to used diluted Acid of the type they clean bricks with.
He mentioned 3% mix.

thanks to all who took the time to reply I should get around to doing it weekend after next and I'll let you all know via a post how I got on.

regards

Gino

Touchwood
14th August 2006, 11:12 PM
Turpentine mixed with equal parts drycleaning fluid may also help.

Sand would definitely be abrasive.

Another trick is to get it really cold - ice packs - and then chip it up.

JD

Cliff Rogers
14th August 2006, 11:20 PM
Good to see you back Gino, almost 3 years between posts is a LOOOONNNGGGG time. :D