PDA

View Full Version : Shopping trip

Farnk
12th August 2006, 06:55 PM
Took a drive down to C-T today with the FIL do sort out the correct insert for a scroll chuck. Of course as that was being dealt with I had to have a quick browse..

So, in blatant disregard of my parting statement to SHMBO, (no, I'm not buying anything, we're just going there to sort out this thing for your Dad!) I came home with some EEE, a very nice Hamlet 1/2" rolled skew (now the journey starts Andy!!) and a vermec rotary sander.

How the hell did I every survive without having a sander like this before??:p

cedar n silky
12th August 2006, 09:49 PM
Took a drive down to C-T today with the FIL do sort out the correct insert for a scroll chuck. Of course as that was being dealt with I had to have a quick browse..

So, in blatant disregard of my parting statement to SHMBO, (no, I'm not buying anything, we're just going there to sort out this thing for your Dad!) I came home with some EEE, a very nice Hamlet 1/2" rolled skew (now the journey starts Andy!!) and a vermec rotary sander.

How the hell did I every survive without having a sander like this before??:p
Bloomin deadly going to a tool shop. Leave the plastic at home and only take cash:eek: Then you don't blow the yearly savings!! I'm like a kid in a candy shop in those places!!:D Should have seen me at the Brizzy woodshow! Blew all my barra fishing holiday money!!:(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th August 2006, 10:27 PM
The sander's save so much work, don't they? :D I don't use mine very often, but only 'cos I tend to put it down on a bench after I'm finished and... well... it just sorta blends in with all my junk. :o

Out of curiosity, what'd the Hamlet sting you? Handled or not? I'm looking at another 1/2" for myself, so I may as well start buttering up the treasurer...

Bodgy
12th August 2006, 10:36 PM
Skewchi

Having perused all the usual suspect's offerings, inc Hamlet, at the (discounted) Newcastle Wood Extravaganza, my poor advice would be to access McJings website and get one of their HSS M2 weapons. Beats the hell out of the u.s. on price, quality and performance.

Proud McJing Advocate.

I luv's ya Jingos.

Farnk
12th August 2006, 10:47 PM
The sander's save so much work, don't they? :D I don't use mine very often, but only 'cos I tend to put it down on a bench after I'm finished and... well... it just sorta blends in with all my junk. :o

Out of curiosity, what'd the Hamlet sting you? Handled or not? I'm looking at another 1/2" for myself, so I may as well start buttering up the treasurer...

The Hamlet was $53, and yes, I'm sorry to say was handled.. (ducks to avoid a torrent of 'you lazy b4st4rd' abuse)

But in my defence, when I got it home the first thing I did was to make a new handle for the espresso machine. Does that count towards any credibility?

Damned nice thing to use after the cheapie HSS set I've been using for years.

hughie
13th August 2006, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE]
But in my defence, when I got it home the first thing I did was to make a new handle for the espresso machine. Does that count towards any credibility?

In my book anybody who repairs the coffee machine has total absolution of all sins for several weeks :D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th August 2006, 01:55 AM
Hmmm... I'd say that any absolution depends on just who broke it in the first place? :p

Still, I gotta admit that when I get a new toy I usually want to play with it as soon as I get home, not be forced into using other tools to make the shiny new one usable in the first place.

Bodgy, I'm ashamed to say that although McJings is the first place I look into whenever I want blanks for making my own tools, the merest thought of going there for a finished tool hadn't even speculated about crossing my mind. :o Thx for the heads up.

TTIT
14th August 2006, 01:25 AM
Bodgy, I'm ashamed to say that although McJings is the first place I look into whenever I want blanks for making my own tools, the merest thought of going there for a finished tool hadn't even speculated about crossing my mind. :o Thx for the heads up.

What he said!;)

Farnk
14th August 2006, 10:00 AM
Hmmm... I'd say that any absolution depends on just who broke it in the first place? :p

Still, I gotta admit that when I get a new toy I usually want to play with it as soon as I get home, not be forced into using other tools to make the shiny new one usable in the first place.

No-one in particular, the cheapie plastic handle just couldn't keep up with the demand!