PDA

View Full Version : DC Hopper for my Lathe

dai sensei
12th August 2006, 07:20 PM
A few members have asked what is the best DC for lathes over the years. I agree with many others there is no perfect solution and why I wear a mask. But I did build a hopper that slides along 2 steel SHS for the length of the lathe. The base has an 4" oulet to my DC system.

A lot of the shaving fall in, the rest I just sweep up and throw in the hopper. Although only a small DC, it sucks well and I do notice the difference when I don't have it on.

Cheers

Tornatus
13th August 2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks, Neil - I only read your post after commenting on a similar thread by Groggy above: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35906&page=2

I like the idea of your sliding "mini-hopper", which I think would be much more efficient than the one I built to try and cover the whole lathe. What I should have done, of course, was to observe the pattern of dust/shavings falling from the lathe and only try to collect the worst of it. Oh well, this is how you learn - but it helps when there are people like yourself who have already had the good ideas!