PDA

View Full Version : decking oil or tung oil?

Farm boy
13th August 2006, 12:26 AM
A mate has an exterior door that will be under a verandah and would like the opinion of the forum members as to what finish to put on the door.
He is happy to oil it every couple of months to a year so he asked what is better decking oil or tung oil and what is the difference
cheers for now
greg

BobL
13th August 2006, 07:01 PM
A mate has an exterior door that will be under a verandah and would like the opinion of the forum members as to what finish to put on the door.
He is happy to oil it every couple of months to a year so he asked what is better decking oil or tung oil and what is the difference
cheers for now
greg

Two bits of info that would help the forum people answer your question are
1) What sort of timber ?
2) Does it get direct UV- if so for how many hours of the day

Tung oil will protect well against rain etc, but darkens and flattens the grain. Good decking oil often contains tung oil so still darkens but will protect from UV better since it contains UV absorbing oxides. If the decking oil is applied right it should not need to be applied more than once a year under a verhanda.

Farm boy
14th August 2006, 01:21 AM
thanks bob
i copied that bit of info and emailed my mate so that should keep him happy.
i dont know what type of wood as he didnt tell me
cheers
greg

Big Rick
25th May 2011, 11:31 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if aquadeck provided enough protection for a exterior maple vanier door?

the hume ones that you get at bunnings.

Tung tied
31st May 2011, 08:53 PM
Hi Big Rick,

I've used it on an exterior merbau fence 3 years ago and it's just getting around time to redo it.

Cheers

Bryan

Big Rick
1st June 2011, 10:15 AM
Merbau fence that sounds nice.

Yeah i use it on a merbau deck but i think for these veneer doors its no good, i will go with something that has a gloss finish