PDA

View Full Version : Something for SWMBO and her friends

Touchwood
13th August 2006, 01:57 AM
I may be teaching Gran how to suck eggs, but thought someone might like to try these for pressies.

I take the metal blade out of a commercial un picker (used for sewing) and turn a handle and a lid. Drill a small hole to take the blade and push it in. I don't recommend glue as the blade will get blunt over time (or break) and it can easily be replaced.

These are made from radiata pine, sheoak, beefwood, cottoneaster and marri (top)

Jenny

Ivan in Oz
13th August 2006, 07:43 AM
Good one TW,

Have you thought of even a larger Diameter,
for those who have Arthritis.

So often,
the desire is still there,
but the ability is not:(

lubbing5cherubs
13th August 2006, 08:57 AM
What a brilliant idea for something else to make. That is beautiful idea for my sewing mum christmas present
Toni

Touchwood
13th August 2006, 09:59 AM
Ivan in Oz

Good one TW,

Have you thought of even a larger Diameter,
for those who have Arthritis.

Probably should have put something there for a scale - they are about 130 mm long and usually 20 mm at the widest - any size is possible.

They are not as easily lost at those little commercial ones!

JD

lubbing5cherubs
6th September 2006, 08:34 PM
Hey Mate going to have a go at one of these tommorrow can you tell me what size do you drill them out
Toni

TTIT
6th September 2006, 11:53 PM
Good idea JD :) - I don't do a lot of sewin' so I haven't seen one before. One of the girls at work is a quilter - maybe she will appreciate one - like I need another project!!!;):D

Rookie
7th September 2006, 12:04 AM
Great idea. I'll make a few for my sisters quilting group.

Thanks

Touchwood
7th September 2006, 01:26 AM
The hole drilled intot he handle needs to be just smaller than the width of the metal shank on the blade - hint: Bernina make very nice metal blades, so if it is someone special, go the extra price. They are a bit finer and do a better job. (The sewing teacher coming out in me)....

Depending on how soft the wood is depends on how easily it slides in, it will make a groove in the wood. Rule of thumb (made 14 for my leavers, so had some practise) go one size smaller than you think, much easier to increase.

I held the blade in pliers and pushed - be very aware that the blade will go through your hand if you slip - that little red ball doesn't stop the blade soon enough:eek: :eek:

The spigot on the handle I usually make 9 mm - 10 mm, therefore the hole in the lid is the same. A bit of my fav Sh#t hot wax (love the name) gives it a bit more grip if required.

enjoy
JD

OGYT
7th September 2006, 01:30 PM
JD, I've seen those little pickers in my wife's sewing room. (She quilts about 10 hours a day.) Those handles are really nice.
Question: What's a pressie? (I hate being a dumb yank...)

Never mind. I finally hooked up... presents, gifts. Right you are. These will make nice gifts for her quilting group.
Thanks for posting this. Good stuff.

RufflyRustic
8th September 2006, 10:01 AM
These are Brilliant!!!!!!!! I hate using my unpicker for that very reason - the handle is hopeless, too small, breaks too easily, hands are sore after a day's woodwork ......

Congrats - I reckon you've got a nice niche market there, and here, and.... :)

Greenie Launched!!

Cheers
Wendy

Bushmiller
11th September 2006, 05:19 AM
Question: What's a pressie? (I hate being a dumb yank...)

Nev

Very simple. Pressie = "Present." It is a demonstration of the Australian penchant for abbreviation and idioms.

...and no dumb yank comments please...we'll do the name calling!:D

Come to think of it, I have a very close association with a quilter. Might look into earning a few brownie points or at the very least I might be allowed out of the shed.:)

Regards
Paul
(Brownie. A younger version of Girl Guides. Just in case you don't have them. Brownies that is; not girls)

I just read further down. You twigged :rolleyes:. I'll send the post unabridged anyway...from a dumb pom (that's limey to you Sir)

OGYT
11th September 2006, 12:28 PM
JD, I was in the store with my quilting wife, saw the un-pickers, and asked her which one she'd use if she had it. She says she has three of them, different sizes, and her favorite has a bad knick in the handle... and could I make her a handle for it. (Big Grin here)
Thanks for the tip, Greenie comin your way!

Touchwood
11th September 2006, 09:32 PM
OGYT

and could I make her a handle for it. (Big Grin here)

I love the saying
"goes around, comes around", when we stop being able to help one another it becomes a very sad place ..

I'd love to see a piccy (that's picture to the rest of the world) when you finish one!

JD