PDA

View Full Version : Boy I Love Burls

Toasty
13th August 2006, 08:59 PM
Just some little burls I did this weekend. Not very big, the one with the rings is about 25cm accross and the other is about 16cm. I'm really enjoying the natural edge stuff, like the look. Both coolahbah burl, finished to around 400-600grit, EEE and Shellawax Glow.

Cliff Rogers
13th August 2006, 09:10 PM
Veerrrryyy nice.

What are you putting on the natural bit to seal it?

Toasty
13th August 2006, 09:15 PM
What are you putting on the natural bit to seal it?
I'm guessing your talking about the edge, I've got a buffing wheel that has a build up of various polishes and crap over the years. Hit it with that and while it doesn't have the glossy sheen of the actual bowl iself, it makes it very nice and smooth to the touch.

If your talking about the actual outside of the burl, au natural.

ss_11000
13th August 2006, 09:23 PM
looks very nice toasty

Tassie Boy
13th August 2006, 09:31 PM
Very nice there toasty...

im still getting over my latest encounter with burls(lets say it involved pieces flying around the place!!)
Cheers

cedar n silky
13th August 2006, 10:25 PM
Great work, and it's just what I needed to see, having just spent the last 4 hours picking off all the bark on this silky oak burl (worth doing it though as the natural edge is amazing!) One of your burls looks similar in shape, so it's given me an idea how to maybe do this one. When I start turning I'll post pikies!:)

Toasty
13th August 2006, 11:20 PM
Can't wait to see it, Cedar.

TTIT
14th August 2006, 12:54 AM
Beautiful Toasty :D I wish I could find some burl out here that is as solid as those!

Caveman
15th August 2006, 12:14 AM
Hi Toasty, can't really add to what's been said - real nice - thanks for sharing the pics.

rowie
15th August 2006, 12:32 AM
i love burls too! except when u open them up to find they have split to buggery. i just broke down a lovely burled olive stump i have had waxed, wrapped in plastic,hidden in the back corner of the shed for 5-6 years, only to find it has honeycombed all through the inside. all i got out of it was about a dozen pen blanks. sigh
great work Toasty!

Toasty
25th August 2006, 12:09 PM
except when u open them up to find they have split to buggery
Yeah I have a largish piece of yellowbox burl that I want to tackle one weekend, just hope it's as dry as it appears.

Tony Morton
25th August 2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Toasty
Dont worry that the burl might not be fully dry as the bit of movement that occurs after turning a partly seasoned burl will give it a very nice leathery feel but dont use full gloss or highly pollished finished oil or wax will give nice effect.

Cheers Tony

sidon55
26th August 2006, 12:54 PM
i love burls too! except when u open them up to find they have split to buggery. i just broke down a lovely burled olive stump i have had waxed, wrapped in plastic,hidden in the back corner of the shed for 5-6 years, only to find it has honeycombed all through the inside. all i got out of it was about a dozen pen blanks. sigh
great work Toasty!

Some years ago I saw a jarrah burl that had been sliced and turned into a clock face. It was lacy and looked very attractive. Pity the finished wasn't up to scratch. So don't disgard your burl if that happens again - more than one way of skinning a cat!!!!!

Farnk
27th August 2006, 10:20 AM
Aust post delivered a nice yellowbox burl a couple of days ago, $20 from ebay and it's a nice size, looks pretty solid as well.

The looks and comments I got at work when it arrived were hilarious.
"You bought a bit of wood over the internet?"

One of my work colleagues remarked that the neighbour to his hobby farm north of Bendigo has a gum tree that would be 90% burl. Chainsaws on standby!!!

The yellowbox is just waiting for me to get over this damned bronchitis..