PDA

View Full Version : Engineered Stone

Cobber
13th August 2006, 10:10 PM
Looking into stone for the kitchen benchtops and bathroom vanities. My wife was plain white and just found out that Ceaserstone and Quantam Quartz and EXPENSIVE compared to other colours...its considered deluxe. So Im looking into other engineered stone types that could be cheaper or even possibly going ceaserstone just for the kitchen and marble say for the vanities?

Can suggest any suitable stones that they know or have used?

cheers

Cobber

seriph1
22nd August 2006, 11:05 PM
hi - I just saw a few (think they may have been variations on the same stuff) reconstituted stone products at the home show at Jeff's shed. Let me know if you want a contact as I kept the one that impressed me the most.

Cheers

Doughboy
22nd August 2006, 11:19 PM
There are a few thing on the market...

Corian

Patini

Caesarstone

Reconstituted granite

I like patini (cheaper) version of corian. These two I know can be seamlessly joined. They look great and are very servicable. As for the others I only know they exist not much more.

Pete

johnc
22nd August 2006, 11:50 PM
I'd take a hike over to Baltic Stonemasons in Dandenong and have a look at their stock of real stone. You might be surprised at the price of some of the off whites, there is a huge range in price from the various quarries the stuff comes from and can work out cheaper than the reconstituted products.

John.

Usual disclaimer of no financial interests etc, other than having purchased from them in the past.

b1ueshift
23rd August 2006, 02:01 PM
I was under the impression that engineered stone was usually more expensive than a cheaper granite.

I went with plain black natural granite for my benchtops which turned out well.

GraemeCook
23rd August 2006, 03:24 PM
There are a few thing on the market...

CorianI like patini (cheaper) version of corian.
Pete

Thanks Pete

Tell me a little more about patini. Who makes it, who sells it, strengths and weeknesses, etc.

As far as I can find out dupont still refuse to sell corian into diy market, so unless you are interested in professional installation, this great product may as well not exist.

Cheers

Graeme

Damon_11
24th August 2006, 01:27 AM
As far as I can find out dupont still refuse to sell corian into diy market, so unless you are interested in professional installation, this great product may as well not exist.

Hello everyone,

While I surf around ebay for all things bathroom and kitchen, I came across this seller who has sheets of "Corian" or corian style benchtop material. The chap's name is Andrew Gutwirth 0400211877, he's in Mebourne and imports stuff from overseas. I recently puchased 3 shower screens from him for my and neighbours bathrooms at about $400 a pop delivered and happy with those products.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Easyhome1_Vanity-Bathroom_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ927652QQftidZ2QQtZkm

The sheets in about 10 colours are 3660x760x12.3mm in size and about $900 a sheet

Apparently, Corian is easy to work as it is 100% acrylic, no stone and can be cut with a table saw with wood blade and edges can be buffed off for a smooth finish.

Worth investigating. The other one I looked at was LG HiMacs. Similar to Corian. http://www.himacs.com/ They even have Fabrication guide which suggests you can use standard woodworking tools. Guess you could contact LG Chem to find an agent.

Cheers DC :)

Bleedin Thumb
27th August 2006, 12:47 PM
Don't do it.... Go solid timber its heaps cheaper & looks better and has great character and warmth.:D

seriph1
27th August 2006, 01:45 PM
just while on this topic - has anyone ever seen a canary yellow benchtop material in stone? I saw it once but can't recall where - was bloody stunning

journeyman Mick
27th August 2006, 11:29 PM
I was in Laminex the other day and they now offer their Corian type material as a "kit". You give them the drawing and they get their fabricator to make the tops, mould in bowls, wet edges etc etc. You get several pieces which you then whack on your cabinets with silicone used at any butt joins.

They will also shortly be releasing their own engineered stone product. I had a look at the range, there's quite a few colours there. It will be supplied as slabs of stone only, ie; you cut and polish where neccesary.

I reckon they've got it asre about (as do the staff), but that's life.:rolleyes:

Mick