PDA

View Full Version : Jet service ability on AFS

John Saxton
14th August 2006, 09:15 PM
Question: to anyone with a Jet 1000 AFS(air filter system).

Has anyone with one of these ever had to have had them serviced?

These are a good supplement in a workshop picking up 5 micron initially and then 1 micron of airborne dust ...i.e. the dangerous stuff floating around.

However there is what I believe to be a poor design fault in that the fuse that can blow is soldered directly to the printed circuit card rather than having an accessible fuse holder which could readily be in place and with plenty of room to spare, providing the owner easy access to fuse changing rather than downtime in getting it to a service agent not to mention lowering it down of the ceiling mounts everytime this occurs.:mad:

I have predominately been advocating the good design and functional use of Jet products but in this case I feel they fall short.

Cheers:)

Bob Willson
14th August 2006, 11:36 PM
Hmm. that doesn't sound the best, but it is a minor problem. Get a small electric soldering iron, desolder the existing fuse and replace it with a tailed fuse holder. (Available from Dick Smiths etc)

John Saxton
15th August 2006, 12:40 AM
Thanx Bob, I've thought that I'D probably do that,just posing the question whether anyone else had come across this.

Cheers

bsrlee
16th August 2006, 03:13 AM
Sounds like they have the same designer that worked for Apple on the early one piece Mac's - they had a 1/4 watt resistor in the power supply that ALL the power had to come thru' - if you switched it too fast or there was a minor power surge, it blew - usually every few months - and you had to take it back to the 'authorised' Apple dealer to get the case opened & the same, under strength, part replaced with another one that would fail soon.

Most Apple Mac fans at the time just waited for the warranty to expire & cracked the case themselves, without the special 'service centre only' case opening jig, then replaced the 1/4 watt part with a 10+ watt one.