PDA

View Full Version : most common Domino

John Saxton
14th August 2006, 10:46 PM
Was wondering that out there amongst the DOMINATED what you were finding was the common size of Domino that you were using ..or are there general consensus that it is across the board(excuse the pun) of sizes to date?

I attended the Perth WW show recently and got a bag of each size Domino to have on hand on cleaning up the shed :cool: and getting involved with some of the projects that is a long standing list on magnets on the kitchen fridge...talk about bein' under the pump..but got the AOK from the chancellor of the exchequer to get with the programme on the ok from clearance of Orthopeadic Surgeon.

I'm a itchin' an a scratchin to get outta there an be thoroughly dominated ...be a different one of late ..gotta admit.:D :D :D

Cheers:)

Lignum
14th August 2006, 11:51 PM
When i got mine i bought extra 10`s thinking that being bigger they would be the best, but i find im using the 6 and 8mm ones the most. Because the strength of Dominated joins are so exceptionaly good, big isnt always best :D

John Saxton
15th August 2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks Lignum, your response is appreciated as you're in the trade ... Er employing the tool on a commercial dayto day basis which is relevant to the question posed I guess.

Because I have'nt really used mine as such..only played around with test trials across the tool spectrum that allows for introspection,in the different materials that I employ nominally timber,plywood,MDF,that I have on hand.

I must say that I'm impressed beyond belief with the tool and I reckon the time saved over conventional mortising applications and set=ups leave a lot to be desired.

I've done mortise's with drill press attachment/mortising machine/router/combination machine table/and by hand but nothing compares with the ease of application that the Dominoprovides and the time employed.
However not to put a fine point on it, doe's not detract from the sense of accomplishment by achieving a fine mortise and tenon by hand...nothing will compare to that.

With precut tenons the dry fit set-up and time saved gives the tool credence that only the engineering structure of Festool foresaw and to our benefit this will hold stead in time to come.

I can probably see that I'll be using tenons for the main part either 8x40 or 8x50 so it'll be interesting to see what if any others say.

cheers:)

Flowboy
15th August 2006, 06:49 AM
Hi John,

Like Lignum, I expected to be using 10x50 dominos in the main. But on reflection and with my limited experience, I see little difference between an 8x50 and a 10x50, given the incredible fit. I now also see that in a number of applications 50mm is going to be inappropriate and therefore moving to the shorter length offered by the 6mm is the answer. Just scares me a bit. Really don't know if the 10x50s aren't overkill in most situations though. It would be interesting to hear what TassieKiwi is using on his bed.
Like you, I have a very soft spot for traditional mortise and tenons, but as Lignum says, less jointing time gives you more time for other pursuits such as finishing.

Regards

Rob

TassieKiwi
15th August 2006, 10:34 AM
2 off 10x50's in each end of the side rails and centre support
one 8x40 to join the top rails to the posts
180 off :eek: 5x30 for the slats.

Assembly is this weekend. Cor.

I did a 'test to destruction' of the slat joints, by building a mock-up in scrap - 2of 5x30 in each end of a 63mmw x 9.5mm thick slat. In all cases the parent timber failed, not the glue or the domino. Considerable force was needed - direct pressure from my foot, or a big twisting action. Certainly as strong as a tenon in the timber.

Den

Lignum
15th August 2006, 10:35 AM
I must say that I'm impressed beyond belief with the tool and I reckon the time saved over conventional mortising applications and set=ups leave a lot to be desired.

Well as i have been saying ad nauseum, in all the years as a hobbiest darksider turned someone making a living from it, this is the first product i have ever used in the workshop that instantly turnes your work into a first rate product in terms of clean accurate presice joinery and the strange part is it feels more like darkside joinery you are doing.

Biscuits and dowels have always felt like a cheap method of cheating but Domi feels that this is the propper way we should be doing it but had to wait thousands of years to get her;)

And re the 8 v 10mm Dominos, the other advantage is you get more 8mm ones for your money than 10mm ones:D :D

lesmeyer
15th August 2006, 12:22 PM
And re the 8 v 10mm Dominos, the other advantage is you get more 8mm ones for your money than 10mm ones:D :D
Lignum,
keep a civil tongue about value for money. Anthony is out there lurking to see when he can pounce with higher cost thus more profit for Herr Festus in Duitsland :D:D
Regards
Les

echnidna
15th August 2006, 07:42 PM
Lignum,
keep a civil tongue about value for money. Anthony is out there lurking to see when he can pounce with higher cost thus more profit for Herr Festus in Duitsland :D:D
Regards
Les

Well Festo may be lurking out there.

But so is GMC, hope they make one soon coz unlike Festool it would be affordable. :D

nt900
15th August 2006, 07:58 PM
:eek: me lurk..... never! ;)

I've got 1c to offer, but was keeping quiet as I was keen to hear the answer to John's question by all who could contribute.

Okay, my 1c anyway........ I think Lignum, Rob and company are right not reaching for the largest 10x50 all the time. Just because the 10mm will fit, does not mean it has to be used. As pointed out, the absence of slop between the domino and the workpiece means you can get very similar strength and sturdiness from the mid-size dominos, and the gluing surface area is relatively similar between the 10x23x50 and the 8x21x50.

As Lignum says, why waste your money if you don't have to. Personally, I don't like to like to see either money wasted or resources.

Lignum
15th August 2006, 08:09 PM
But so is GMC, hope they make one soon

It would be interesting to find out what kind of copyright Festo have on the Domino concept, and if and when it could be reproduced. It will happen one day just like the Lamello was copied. I wonder when that will be.

Also on the 8 v 10mm the 8 is also easier on the machine and cutter as their is less material to remove, and even though Domi is built like a tank, i plan on still having mine in perfect condition in 10 or more years, so it pays not to unessasarily give her a hard time;) And the 10`S are perfect on open frames and will be brilliant on chairs. Also the 8mm comes in 40 and 50mm where the 10 is only 50mm

Auld Bassoon
15th August 2006, 08:11 PM
10 years is the norm on machinery patents I believe, but quite open to being corrected. I usually am :) :( :)

Then there is the alternative: one could also fastidiously make, with plane and chisel, Domino-like loose tenons to use with the Domino machine :eek: :D

Lignum
15th August 2006, 08:19 PM
10 Years eyh;) Oh well im glad ive got my little baby tucked away and ready to spring into action when needed. Dunno if i have ever told anyone here, but i love my Domi:o

nt900
15th August 2006, 08:30 PM
Make domi love, not domi war. :p

I best go back to lurking.

John Saxton
15th August 2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all your responses, I can also only see myself naturally using the larger tenons in heavy stock where strength of joint over weight decrees that it alone is necessary.

On this topic Festo also had the forsight to to see that different materials may require varying sizes of tenon to enhance structural integrity so we are fortunate in that there are 5 sizes of tenons to select from whether its for a small casket to a King Size bed that can have the joints also at a variety of angles for aesthetic enhancement.

This gives more depth to the Domino than most probably realise at first however if given the chance to feel and explore her possibilities I'm sure there'd be more DOMINATED.

Cheers

Carpenter
15th August 2006, 10:31 PM
Well Festo may be lurking out there.

But so is GMC, hope they make one soon coz unlike Festool it would be affordable. :D

Aahhh Echidna. It seems so unfair to pay so much does it not;) ? But let me tell you of my re-accuring nightmare that happened again today;-"equipment failure". As a Chippy packing many tools, I select my tools carefully & reckon I get to test my purchases pretty well. About 6 months ago my Hitachi 18v cordless drill had a trigger failure, 3 months out of warranty & just like my mates identical model did as well. My conclusion? No more Hitachi for me because they can no longer be trusted to use quality components. Today, my 12v Cordless Impact Driver (brand shall remain unamed for now) had a trigger failure:confused: . Its under warranty but its still a gold plated irritation to me because I have to go to work tomorrow & build without it. This will be another brand struck off my list & it seems pretty obvious to me they're all cutting costs at our expense by using poor componentry. What this all boils down to is that right now, I couldn't give a flying fccuk how much more expensive a tool has to be as long as it keeps going after I buy it:mad: . I know there are many people who are a lot less demanding on their cheap gear & are completely satisfied with it, but I just want a line drawn between the s#$t & the good stuff so I can get on with it. Please Herr Doctor Festool, can you just make everything?

echnidna
15th August 2006, 10:54 PM
Its not a matter of Festool prices being unfair, to the commercial users they are a long lived quality tool.

But the domino is just too expensive for non commercial use.

Carpenter
15th August 2006, 11:03 PM
I agree completely, & if they made a non commercial grade tool, it wouldn't be the same. Just buy one anyway Echidna, haven't you got some kids you could sell? :D

echnidna
15th August 2006, 11:20 PM
I don't have a couple of grand to spend on a domino and I reckon me kids'd get returned by a very unsatisfied buyer. :eek: :eek:

The old house I'm renoing is giving me the itch to go back to the tools.

Wouldn't mind getting some fancy tools to stick on me shelf of unused tools in me shed plus a new ute but that would mean putting the nail bag back on & I'm too old for the heavy work and was always too slow fixing, So I'd probably have to be satisfied as a maintainence man, but that don't pay real well.

John Saxton
16th August 2006, 09:26 PM
Carpenter you have a good relevant point and I gotta empathise with you on this.

A tradesman is only as good as his tools last, seems to be the common byword these days ..therefore has the home guy market given way to mass produced tools of inferrior quality/performance and bugger the rest.

OR is it a case of the tradesman having to find an endurable range of tools that fulfil his needs without necessarily running him broke.

My own view is that if'n you're going to use tools that need to stand up to demand on a day to day basis then you have to look at what the European product has to offer for in that market where there is a high demand for well designed product that withstands the rigours of constant demand.

Festool do this without question ,consequently their engineering prowess/product is beyond reproach ,however it would be interesting to hear from folk in the trade and across the spectrum how those tools do withstand the use in a heavy utilisation!

Cheers

Carpenter
19th August 2006, 09:57 AM
Festool do this without question ,consequently their engineering prowess/product is beyond reproach ,however it would be interesting to hear from folk in the trade and across the spectrum how those tools do withstand the use in a heavy utilisation!

Cheers

John,
I bought my first Festo tools (a 12v CDD cordless & ATF 55 Plunge saw) about 12yrs ago. I'm very precious with my gear & look after it, & I can report they're both still going strong. The cordless has had a battery repack (to be expected), but thats it. Since then I've bought the jigsaw, rotex, vaccy, electric plane, deltex sander, OF 2000 router & have had nothing but absolute reliability & precision performance. Of all the tools the ones that have had the most work are the Rotex, vaccy & the plunge saw & they've done HUGE amounts of work. I've long since forgotten the pain of parting with the initial $$$ outlayed to buy them, but every time I use them its a pleasure, especially when I see other tradesman struggling with other gear. Usually if I let them use it, they're sold. The difference is that big. Oh & I'd just like to anounce the arrival of another Domi :p :) :D :o . Without a doubt the most magnificent power tool I've ever laid eyes on, & definitely Festools best work ever.

TassieKiwi
20th August 2006, 12:14 AM
You said it brother. Too expensive here, esp. when you see the US prices, but - awesome, fit for purpose, timeless and elegant instruments. 'nuff said.

Auld Bassoon
20th August 2006, 08:28 PM
Oh & I'd just like to anounce the arrival of another Domi :p :) :D :o . Without a doubt the most magnificent power tool I've ever laid eyes on, & definitely Festools best work ever.

Carp! TWO Domis! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I''m counting down the days 'till my MIP payment comes hurtling into my account - just 14 sleeps :) then a Domi will become a fine addition to the Bassoon's inventory :p

Carpenter
20th August 2006, 10:06 PM
Carp! TWO Domis! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I''m counting down the days 'till my MIP payment comes hurtling into my account - just 14 sleeps :) then a Domi will become a fine addition to the Bassoon's inventory :p

1000 apologies Mr Bassoon if I gave the impression I had bought a second Domi!:eek: This is my first, me saying "another" I meant one more for the Club. Maybe if I was one of those Indian gods with 10 arms I could consider it:rolleyes: , but I reckon one domi is enough for any man. Can I suggest in the strongest possible way Mr Bassoon, go the whole hog & get the complete kit; - systainer full of domi's, set of cutters, & both of the fit on accessories. You'll need them to make the most of Domi.

patr
20th August 2006, 11:53 PM
Well done Matt! - welcome to the DAC.

Steve - not too long to wait. Two days before delivery you will be pacing up and down like an expectant father and when you get her you will just sit and gaze at her sheer beauty.

If Lagavulin made powertools they would have made the Domi. She is that special.

Regards from the valley.

Pat and Simou