PDA

View Full Version : Drill press problems

old_picker
15th August 2006, 09:24 AM
I bought a cheapie [the blue one for $295.00] floor drill press from total tools about a year ago. When I first got it I thought it was great and the slop in the main shaft didnt bother me too much. I can drill holes reasonably accurately but a sanding drum or the safteyplaner really highlite the problem. As time goes by and my skill level increases this issue is starting to bug me.

Can anything done with these cheap Chinese machines to stabilise the shaft?
Should I just get rid of it and buy a proper drill press?
If so which drill press should I be looking at?

KRH
15th August 2006, 10:39 AM
Hi racy

Are you sure it is the shaft? The reason I ask is that I have a similar problem . The only way I could properly diagnose the problem was to obtain a dial caliper ($49.00 with magnetic base) and measure the wobble first on the shaft with chuck removed (which was very little), and then on the chuck. The chuck is out quite a bit. My plan is to to replace it with a good quality chuck.

BTW, a dial caliper is one of those tools that you never know how useful it is until you get one. Using it I tuned up my table saw resulting in an amazing increase in cut quality.

Regards

ken

KRH
15th August 2006, 10:44 AM
Sorry

I meant a Dial Indicator.

Here is the ebay reference. I can recommend this seller. Have bought several items and always get good service.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&item=170004045156&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

echnidna
15th August 2006, 10:48 AM
There is usually an adjusting screw with locknut in the head of drill presses that will remove sideways slop.