PDA

View Full Version : Happiness is a 604˝C going swooooosh

OtakiriLad
15th August 2006, 02:25 PM
Over the last couple of weeks I have finally taken the major step of commencing ‘the boat’. She is a strip built Cosine Wherry as described in the book “Rip, Strip and Row” by Pickett Brown. Having asked a few questions of the forum and perved on the I can now reveal my initial steps (mainly cos the photos are back).
Firstly the frame. Constructed out of chipboard and built on a strongback of 150 x 25 roughsawn pine. I cut the centres out of each frame to lighten the load and provide a clamping point. The whole thing is put together with those self-tapping screws the Yanks call dry-wall screws.

OtakiriLad
15th August 2006, 02:26 PM
After a few dramas trying to scarf cedar strips before assembly I have given up and now cut the scarfs and glue in place. The strips are 25 x 6mm red cedar and 20 x 6mm kiri square edged, not bead and cove. I am using hot-melt glue to attach the strips to the frame giving a staple-less finish. The first six strips have gone on untouched but the remainder I am tapering based on the space left at each station as a ratio to the greatest space left. This gives a fraction between 1.0 and 0.x plotted along the strip. I clamp a few strips together and plane the lot together and boy, is a Bedrock 604˝C a pleasure to use.

OtakiriLad
15th August 2006, 02:27 PM
At the same time I am shaping the oars from Douglas (or Oregon depending on who you believe). The blades are scoop style and these profiles were cut out on a bandsaw before gluing. Shaping has been a combination of an old wooden spokeshave – with tanged cutter that is adjusted by banging it on the bench (none of these fancy adjustable screw thread thingies) – the trusty 604˝C and an angle grinder. This activity is a time filler when I get frustrated with short cut strips etc.

Mirboo
15th August 2006, 02:56 PM
Interesting thread OtakiriLad.

I assume the end product will look like your avatar. Make sure you keep us up to date with your progress. I for one am interested to see how it all comes together.

OtakiriLad
15th August 2006, 03:16 PM
Yes Mirboo I also hope it will turn out looking like the avatar. I will add a few notes as I go along though piccies will appear only at 24 photo intervals!

TK1
15th August 2006, 06:04 PM
Hi OtakiriLad,

Looking good! You seem to have gotten things up and running quickly since your earlier post asking for plans, etc. How are you finding the book? Does it cover everything or are you having to use other sources too?

The wood looks great. Can't wait to see the next installment!

Happy building,
Darren

Boatmik
15th August 2006, 08:07 PM
Looks like the start of yet another great thread for the forum - keep the comments and pictures coming!!!

Good Work

MIK

Daddles
15th August 2006, 10:35 PM
Looking very nice. I too enjoy making oars, though I make a diamond cross section blade, not scoop. Perhaps for my next effort. Mind you, your workshop is too neat and there were only shavings in one photo - lift your game :D

Richard

meerkat
16th August 2006, 12:59 PM
Ok OtakiriLad thats enough now. No need for any more photos.;)

After checking out your great work so far I'm starting to get a twinge that after the cadet (and Rainbow) I might just get enough courage up and do a real boat.:rolleyes:

And if I do, guess what, I'll tell SWMBO that it was you that convinced me to do it.;):D

Keep up the good work and please don't spare the photos.

Mind you, your workshop is too neat and there were only shavings in one photo - lift your game
There you go again Daddles, trying to impose your cleanliness on others.:p:D

Regards
Andrew

Boatmik
16th August 2006, 01:45 PM
After checking out your great work so far I'm starting to get a twinge that after the cadet (and Rainbow) I might just get enough courage up and do a real boat.:rolleyes:

Regards
Andrew

The Cadet IS a REAL boat! Don't make any mistake - a real classic.

Designed almost 50 years ago by Jack Holt - one of the first proper, modern lightweight plywood designs to hit the water.

A corker.

MIK

meerkat
16th August 2006, 03:23 PM
The Cadet IS a REAL boat! Don't make any mistake - a real classic.

Designed almost 50 years ago by Jack Holt - one of the first proper, modern lightweight plywood designs to hit the water.

A corker.

MIK

You're right, but i'm just fixing it up, I'm talking about doing one from plans

OtakiriLad
16th August 2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the encouragement team; I will try to keep up somewhere approaching the high standards set by the rest of the forum.

Today, being the Ekka holiday here in Brisvegas, I spent tapering, bevelling and adding another four strips each side after doing a morning’s penance in the garden. Don’t panic Richard – the floor of the garage now is ankle deep in beautiful, long, curling, sweet-smelling cedar shavings that are just too nice to sweep up and throw away!

The book is great. I think I have read it from cover to cover about 10 times now and keep finding new things each time. On top of that I have been scouring the net for articles on strip built boats which is where I came across the ideas for the hot-melt glue method, the tapering idea and the principle of square edges rather than bead and cove. The strips were dear enough at about $1100 without adding that cost on top – I don’t have a shaper or heavy duty router (plus bits) to do it myself. Mind you with what I did today I have a feeling the strips are going to get a lot less sideways stress by being tapered than by being full size from end to end. Another reason for liking the tapering thingy is that is mirrors the traditional building methods as described by Harold Underhill in a couple of his books on plank-on-frame construction.

Cheers
Dave