PDA

View Full Version : Low End Thicknesser

mattylinn688
15th August 2006, 07:07 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am on the hunt for a very low end sort of thicknesser. I am an impoverished uni student so looks like GMC or Ryobi or similar might be the go. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Matt

Buzzer
15th August 2006, 07:34 PM
Hi,

If I were you, I would do a search only the lines of, GMC $199 thicknesser bargain, there will be more than enough info for you.

Good luck and Cheers.

Auld Bassoon
15th August 2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Matt,

If you want to keep costs down, you might consider a scrub plane and/or a jack plane. These will do the job and teach you a great deal about the wood that you're working with. A little skill in these sorts of areas will pay big dividends when you want to build something more ambitious.

Wood Butcher
15th August 2006, 07:58 PM
Matt,
The GMC/Ryobi are good machines for the money. Have a ring around the local Bunnis and see if there are any left!

himzol
15th August 2006, 08:22 PM
Matt,
The GMC/Ryobi are good machines for the money. Have a ring around the local Bunnis and see if there are any left!

Matt, I baught my Ryobi AP13 from the Ryobi outlet store in Melbourne (reworked unit) at the time it cost less than $200. If you are over that way or have friends that can get it for you you may be able to pick up a bargain that way.
However I would try the GMC from Bunnies first.

Himzo.

mattylinn688
15th August 2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all your help. The GMC seems to be the goer, i'll get onto Bunnings first thing.
Cheers,
Matt

bpj1968
16th August 2006, 09:51 AM
Not that it helps, but Bunnies Northland (Melb) still have about a dozen. So may be the case at others as well.

Matt. You also posted in the other thread about the dust hood. You need to have a dusty for the volume of sawdust, as a normal vacuum would struggle to keep up. One little bit of wood makes a LOT of shavings