PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on GMC 12" thicknesser

rabster
15th August 2006, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

I was at the local Bunnings today (Vermont Sth) and they had a pallet load of GMC 12" thicknessers at $199. It seems an incredible deal (2yr warranty, 30-day satisfaction return, ...). I've seen this unit mentioned in some of the threads here but I'd like to hear from people that actually own this machine.

Is the machine really up to it? I mean, thicknessing 12" hardwood. Are the supplied blades any good? Are spares available and at what cost? How easy is to change the blades?

Any comments on this machine (good and bad) would be much appreciated. A link to a review would be great!

Cheers,

Rab.

echnidna
15th August 2006, 09:45 PM
I've got one and am very happy with it.
Do a search for planer poll, there was a lot of info and comparisons between different brands. But you won't get anything better than GMC in a 12" planer.

gazaly
15th August 2006, 10:18 PM
I've got one and am very happy with it.
Do a search for planer poll, there was a lot of info and comparisons between different brands. But you won't get anything better than GMC in a 12" planer.

Have you connected dust extraction to it echnidna? From what I can see the chip gaurd is removable and could possible be replaced with an extraction point?

Cheers :cool:

Zed
15th August 2006, 10:22 PM
i would advise no. you get what you pay for. (notice the full stop ?:rolleyes: )

Stuart
15th August 2006, 10:26 PM
Have you connected dust extraction to it echnidna? From what I can see the chip gaurd is removable and could possible be replaced with an extraction point?

Cheers :cool:

There is an entire thread dedicated to the subject, and where to buy these ;)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=32801&highlight=thicknesser

(granted that the images have now expired, but the contact info is still there)

dazzler
15th August 2006, 10:26 PM
At that price I'd buy five and set em .5mm thinner each and do the boards in one go!:D

dalejw
16th August 2006, 12:45 AM
Hi all,

I was at the local Bunnings today (Vermont Sth) and they had a pallet load of GMC 12" thicknessers at $199. It seems an incredible deal (2yr warranty, 30-day satisfaction return, ...). I've seen this unit mentioned in some of the threads here but I'd like to hear from people that actually own this machine.

Is the machine really up to it? I mean, thicknessing 12" hardwood. Are the supplied blades any good? Are spares available and at what cost? How easy is to change the blades?

Any comments on this machine (good and bad) would be much appreciated. A link to a review would be great!

Cheers,

Rab.

I've put nearly 100m of 220mm recylced Jarrah through mine so far and it's still going like a champion. Still on the same blades...

boatchippy
16th August 2006, 01:09 AM
I just can't kill mine - $199 impulse buy at bunnings when I went to get a few drill bits.
Still nothing compared to my griggio, which is a 700kg beast. The GMC(30kg) does have it's advantages. I use it as a portable to take onsite to jobs.

Wood Butcher
16th August 2006, 07:44 AM
You do get what you pay for but considering the Ryobi AP12 is $389 at bunnies and they are almost identical its a bargain.

bpj1968
16th August 2006, 10:14 AM
Can't complain about the one i got, except it doesn't like nails!

Was dressing several lengths and in a moment of inattention saw a piece in the corner out of the way and as I feed it in thought to myself, why was that there?

The resulting THUMP and perfectly dressed nail answered that question.

Do the blades have to be centered or can I move one a few mm to the left and the other blade a few to the right to offset teh chips out of the blades?

felixe
16th August 2006, 11:17 AM
I have one and it works for me, I have put plenty of tassie oak thru no problems.:)
My sentiments are the same as most other forum members;
Just remember at $199 you get what you pay for (is there an echo?:confused: )

Lignum
16th August 2006, 11:24 AM
At that price I'd buy five and set em .5mm thinner each and do the boards in one go!:D

lol:D

rabster
16th August 2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks all, I've bought one.

If anyone is interested, there are plenty available at Bunnings Vermont Sth.

Cheers,

Rab.

gazaly
16th August 2006, 08:54 PM
....If anyone is interested, there are plenty available at Bunnings Vermont Sth.

But not one in the West, as I have discovered after calling every Bunnings in greater Perth :mad: .

Stuart
16th August 2006, 08:57 PM
Get Bunnings to send one over, store to store.

Bodgy
16th August 2006, 09:01 PM

Never thought of that, bluddy good idea. Always assuming the scales are accurate!

Bodgy
16th August 2006, 09:02 PM
i would advise no. you get what you pay for. (notice the full stop ?:rolleyes: )

Oh Zed, yu old tool nazi, yu!

Zed
16th August 2006, 09:34 PM
that would be me Bodge...

mattylinn688
18th August 2006, 11:17 AM
It is impossible to try and source this thicknesser in SA:( All the Bunnings stores told me that they had sold out in the first week of this deal starting! I wonder if there is anyway of getting one shipped over from the stores that still have a pallet load? Even if the cost is a bit more it is still worth it! Any Ideas?

Cheers Matt

Buzzer
18th August 2006, 02:13 PM
I rang a bunnies store to see if they had any GMC Thicknessers, no sorry sir but we have Ryobi for $389, so went to check it out. Sure enough, saw a GMC for $199 and took it home.

Moral of the story:

Don't believe everything they tell you over the phone.

Cheers.

mattylinn688
24th August 2006, 07:54 PM
Hi all,
I was just wondering whether anyone has seen any of these thicknessers left in Victoria? About a week ago people commented they had seen them still for $199 at Vermont etc.. I was just wondering if this is still the case, or if there are any available in other stores in the north melbournish area? I have rellys in melbourne that might help me grab a bargain if they are still avaliable.
Many Thanks,
Matt

billgreen
16th September 2006, 12:33 AM
Hi

Found this site last week looking for info on powered respirators. WHile brosing i noted the threads on the $199 GMC. Had been intending to buy one to replace my defunct no-name chinese thicknesser so was annoyed to have missed the sale.

I was chatting to one of the young guys at local Bunnings and he checked status on the computer. He placed an order and to my surprise it arrived 2 days later - i am not generally one of Bunning's biggest fans so you could have knocked me down with a feather. So for those who might still be interested - they are still available.

Cheers

Bill

jarrahhead
17th September 2006, 11:14 AM
I have had one of these for a fair while. (long b4 the $199 deals started :( ) I had a good run out of it for a long time, but recently been having trouble with the infeed and outfeed rollers binding against their mounts. Has anyone else had this problem?

Wild Dingo
17th September 2006, 02:05 PM
But not one in the West, as I have discovered after calling every Bunnings in greater Perth :mad: .

Sometimes you just have to wander a bit further away from home... Bunnings Bunbury still has them as does Bunnings Morley... well both did less than a week ago when I last wandered in there... thought about it I did... serious thought was given... then something snapped!! What the bloody blue blazes do I need with yet another bloody thicknesser? and I walked on

Agree totally with not believing what they say over the phone... Ive found the general attitude is that when calling on the phone: "its like its too much bother to actually go have a look" or "your annoying me go away" or "I want to speak to my friends I havent got time to talk to you" or "Im on my lunch break stop buggin me"... not always of course there are those that work there who do have somewhere between 1/4 - 1/2 a brain... but to find em you gotta go to the store! :D ahem and even then it can be difficult to find em :rolleyes: :p

Actually the store is a good way to waste an hour or two in general wandering :cool: Gotta keep yer eyelids peeled theres some bargains to be had... like the stack of 8 little keeper thingys (you know to put screws in) for $4 those ones that are advertised the following week for $12 for 4... we scored 10 of those at $4 per set... then theres other things not worth mentioning but amid the dross and stuff theres some good buys :cool:

Actually... would the blades from a Sherwood 12 1/2 fit these thicknessers? if so then get the blades from Carbetex or Timbecon and keep on planin on

bpj1968
18th September 2006, 08:48 AM
Most of the stores didn't have them in the toolshop. Instead they were stacked on pallets across the front of the store, with the other bulk stuff. Obviously whoever you spoke on the phone to doesn't know how to look. THe few Bunnings stores I go still had them last time I looked

gazaly
18th September 2006, 03:30 PM
... Bunnings Bunbury still has them as does Bunnings Morley... well both did less than a week ago when I last wandered in there...

Just rang Morley store (well out of my way atthe mo) to be told that they haven't had any GMC thicknesser for at least 3 months! The only thicknesser they have is the Ryobi.

Can you remember where in the store you saw them?

Wild Dingo
18th September 2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah know what you mean about the distance... try takin a trip to Balcatta from Brunswick Junction to pick up some thicknesser blades :rolleyes: I reckon Carbetex should do a roadshow :cool: ...you know we fellas in the bush ring or email them make our order and they come for a drive and deliver no extra charge of course just a nice hot cuppa an maybe some scones when they lob up :D I mean wouldnt that increase their popularity? Personal service to your door by the fellas from the store who KNOW their stuff!... and heck with a state as large as ours they could be on the road for weeks!! buggar it I think I will nominate me for the possy! :D ahem they pay fuel and tucker... tuckers easy Im easily pleased and dont mind campin out... damn that sounds bloody brilliant!!... heck! they could link up with Timbecon and Woodpeckers Northwood tools and make a big run of it save a buck while makin a buck!! Make it once a month south to Esperance up to Kal and back then the other month northward... mmm hang on a tic... okay by monthly to Esp and Kal cause Id need a couple of months to do the northern end Id get stuck somewhere around Kunnunnara for a day or so sign on the door "gone barra fishin" :D

Their tool section is right at the front as you walk in the doors just to your right... they have stacks of pallets in front of that... they had them there... plenty of them! yeah they had the ryobi ones as well but these GMC ones I know they have cause I seriously considered grabbing one while I was there... but didnt then when I was in Bunbury store they also have them

The staff are generally good... well some of them... but the ones they put in the hardware and tools section dont know a thicknesser from a screwdriver are just out of nappies are deficient in brain cells or are morons without a clue... voice of experience :rolleyes:

billgreen
18th September 2006, 06:51 PM
Just rang Morley store (well out of my way atthe mo) to be told that they haven't had any GMC thicknesser for at least 3 months! The only thicknesser they have is the Ryobi.

Can you remember where in the store you saw them?

gazaly

That was my point - my local had not seen one in months either but they can put in a special order upon request. Had mine in two days.

Bill

mattylinn688
18th September 2006, 10:30 PM
In my case, none of the SA stores had any so I contacted all the ones in Victoria. It turned out thanks to the pointers from some forumites that Bunnings at Vermont South had them and I got it couriered over for less than $50, so I still managed to snaffle the bargain;) So it really is worth ringing round, or even taking the plunge like me and grabbin a courier!