PDA

View Full Version : W.A wood show

Auzzie turner
16th August 2006, 01:47 AM
I have had a great time at the wood show, and thanks to those who dropped by at the wood show. I turned many pens, and had a great time demonstrating the lathe, and meeting othe woodworkers/woodturners/future ww's/etc: I am happy to say, that I entered 2 pieces into the wood show, and they both won first prize.;) I will be posting pics soon.

To those that whatched me turning, what is your feedback,

Regards,.........Joash

Doughboy
16th August 2006, 01:52 AM
Well done Aussie. One day mate I hope to be able to make the same comment, alas me thinks it is a ways off yet.:(

Great to see the level of interest shown acroos all age groups:)

Keep up the great work and may the chips keep flyin'

Pete

rsser
16th August 2006, 07:11 PM
Terrific Joash. Congrats!

John Saxton
16th August 2006, 09:00 PM
Congrats Joash, was great to hear of your entries taking out a couple of awards and that is something that is a fillip for fellow members to aspire to.

Happy turnings

Cheers:)

Tassie Boy
16th August 2006, 09:51 PM
Well done Joash,,,
I wish i could have been there!

Congrats on the winning pieces..
Cheers.

ss_11000
16th August 2006, 09:51 PM
good to here you had a great time.

Auzzie turner
18th August 2006, 07:53 PM
thanks I did

Tassie Boy
20th August 2006, 12:51 PM
do u have pics of the winning pieces?

Auzzie turner
20th August 2006, 01:08 PM
coming up

Auzzie turner
20th August 2006, 01:51 PM
Here is somepictures of one of my winning pieces, the wood is Rippled Bluegum, and Jarrah,
Dimensions are

15cm x 10cm

Sanded to 2500, and finished with shellawax cream. Photos are a bit bodgy:o

enjoy

Regards...............Joash

Ahem, the cat demanded to be in to:D

Tassie Boy
20th August 2006, 02:09 PM
that wood is beautiful Joash.
One question though: what is it?
is it just a form that you made that serves no purpose?
anyways it look great!
cheers

Auzzie turner
20th August 2006, 02:21 PM
Forgot to take a picture with the lid off. It is hollowed out to 2mm thick on the inside and is like an eggshell. Yeah by the time it sells, for $300++, I don't think anyone will use it, as it might be damaged. Seeing what was in the year 11 catergory, I don't think there will be much competition out there next year, even though there wer heaps of entries. I allready have my piece picked out, It is a flooded gum burl, dry as a bone, %100 free of splits, cut into a circle, and is 1200mm accross x 100mm thick!!!! I allready know what shape I'm going to turn, but if I turn it now, by next years wood show, I'll of progressed further, and will not like what i turned in the first place, another words, a waste of wood.

Regards..............Joash

Tassie Boy
20th August 2006, 02:39 PM
So is the comp only for high school students? what grade are you in?
sounds like a nice block of burl you have for next year!

Auzzie turner
20th August 2006, 03:38 PM
Year 10

Tassie Boy
20th August 2006, 09:06 PM
Year 10! im 14 and im only in Year 8! mabye Tassie is different to W.A.

Auzzie turner
20th August 2006, 09:09 PM
when is your birthdate?

ss_11000
20th August 2006, 10:20 PM
Year 10! im 14 and im only in Year 8! mabye Tassie is different to W.A.

i was thinking that to, then i saw he was born in 91, so it does make sense, cos i'll be 14 in yr ten for a few months too.....i started early and i'm thinking joash did too?

Tassie Boy
20th August 2006, 10:38 PM
when is your birthdate?

my birthdate is 27th March 1992

Toasty
21st August 2006, 12:05 AM

Anybody else starting to feel old? *sigh* :o :( :o

Pat
21st August 2006, 12:17 AM
Getting there 1971. I bet there are some more "Life Skills experienced" respondents!:D

hughie
21st August 2006, 01:29 AM

Anybody else starting to feel old? *sigh* :o :( :o

whatya reckon..... :o :D :o :D :D :D

the trick is to do it daily less of a shock than doing it on your birthday :D

Auzzie turner
21st August 2006, 10:04 PM
My birthdate is 1/11/1991, I do hoimeschool, I have been doing homeschool sice Grade 1. Is there any difference between grade and year?

lubbing5cherubs
21st August 2006, 10:07 PM
Ah huh the penny drops, i was wondering why you were able to answer my questions during the day. Now I know. I homeschool all my children too they have been homeschooled since grade 1 too. What curriculum do you use for high school?
bye

Auzzie turner
21st August 2006, 10:33 PM
Ah huh the penny drops, i was wondering why you were able to answer my questions during the day. Now I know. I homeschool all my children too they have been homeschooled since grade 1 too. What curriculum do you use for high school?
bye
It is handy, with the wood business, because in my breaks ever hour or so, I can check up on all the sales, PM's, emails, etc I have used ACE since grade 1. I have 3 other brothers and sisters, the ones that are old enough do the same curriculum as me, we have found it to be flawless. It also provides a good christian education, with good morals. What curriculum do your children use?

Regards....Joash

Ramps
21st August 2006, 10:35 PM
My birthdate is 1/11/1991, I do hoimeschool, I have been doing homeschool sice Grade 1. Is there any difference between grade and year?

I think in Year 1 thay lern how too spel "homeschool" and "since" :D

Just joking I'm one of the worse for typos ... wot wood we do without spel chek wen it reely matters?

Good on ya AussieT

Tassie Boy
21st August 2006, 10:57 PM

No there is no difference between year/grade.
I dont home school though. mabye there is a difference there??mm that would be handy...being home all day:rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
22nd August 2006, 01:00 AM
Hi Tassie, We used Ace for grade 1 and 2 then we went to weaver it an awesome program for teaching all the ages together all 5. but for this year The grade 6 are using lifepacs, the younger 2 use . But are considering going back to ace for the high school years.
Toni

RufflyRustic
22nd August 2006, 10:17 AM
Sorry to 'double-hijack' a perfectly good hijacked thread :rolleyes: but,

Geez Auzzie - after reading this thread I think your vase has just quadrupled in value, well, to me anyway :D

cheers
Wendy

lubbing5cherubs
22nd August 2006, 10:30 AM
No there is no difference between year/grade.
I dont home school though. mabye there is a difference there??mm that would be handy...being home all day:rolleyes:

Don't worry Dylan.... It not all play we make them do chores too. It not all fun...I am not sure about Joash but I know my children have a routine with certain chores that must be met. but yep we only do school 2-4 a day
bye Toni

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, its not all fun for me thats for sure. Homeschooling has lots of benifits, such as having my school desk 2 steps away from my bed--on the other side of my room. I do many different subjects, and I play the clarinet. I do not think I would have got into turning at all, if I had not of done homeschool.

I do these subjects.

Algerbra 2
Succesfull living
World history
Missions
Music--book+instrument
Basic literature
Physical science

I usually start school at 7.00, so I am finished at 12.00, and then I have the rest of the afternoon to turn/cut timber/fullfill order/etc:
I think doing homeschool, is one of the big benifits I have.

Regards.........Joash

P.S Good to hear you still like my vase (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=25805&d=1151757001) Mrs. Hoey

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2006, 02:04 PM
You poor, deprived lad. :(

You're missing out on the important things a public school education can give you, like close encounters with the School Bully, detention, missed buses and squashed lunches. How you're ever supposed to grow up bitter'n'twisted enough to become a succesful city-slicker business-man, God only knows! ;)

:D:D

lubbing5cherubs
22nd August 2006, 02:06 PM
No Skew the public schools are deprived. They don't have mum's that if you need a swift slap on the legs, you get it...unlike the schools today...LOL
Toni

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 03:33 PM
Or having to spend the day in the classroom when its pouring down raining like this.

This is a shot from the outside of our house, looking towards the ocean, It is way more stormy than it looks. This is the third thunderstorm we've had today.

Regards.....Joash

Terry B
22nd August 2006, 03:44 PM
Or having to spend the day in the classroom when its pouring down raining like this.

This is a shot from the outside of our house, looking towards the ocean, It is way more stormy than it looks. This is the third thunderstorm we've had today.

Regards.....Joash

Rain??
Whats that?

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 03:52 PM
Rain in Perth (http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.shtml)

Terry B
22nd August 2006, 04:27 PM
Rain in Perth (http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.shtml)
Lack of rain in Armidale.
Here (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN65092/IDN65092.95773.shtml)
I think the 0.2 a few days ago was dew.

lubbing5cherubs
22nd August 2006, 04:29 PM
Hey when you send out the pen blanks my way put some of that wet stuff with it

Toni

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 04:29 PM
How far is Armidale from here?

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 04:31 PM
Hey when you send out the pen blanks my way put some of that wet stuff with it

Toni
Dunno, I might have a problem in customs, they might have a problem about how we contaminated our water, and air cycle etc:

Joash

RufflyRustic
22nd August 2006, 04:33 PM

P.S Good to hear you still like my vase (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=25805&d=1151757001) Mrs. Hoey

Mrs Hoey!!! Hmphfff!!! ;) Considering you are talking about home schooling, that's Miss Wendy to you! :p :D

Nearly everyone who walks into my office says something nice about the vase :)

cheers
Miss Wendy

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 04:41 PM
My highest apologies:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2006, 05:05 PM
Mrs Hoey!!! Hmphfff!!! ;) Considering you are talking about home schooling, that's Miss Wendy to you! :p :D

Nearly everyone who walks into my office says something nice about the vase :)

At this rate you'll be putting on an expo soon...

Miss Wendy, eh? Are you really as good as 1.6km? :confused:

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 05:12 PM
expo????

good as 1.6km?????

non understanor

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2006, 05:25 PM
From what I can gather, Ruffly is building up quite a collection of pieces, enough to open her own show. :D

1.6km? That's one mile... surely you've heard the old saying "A Miss is as good as a mile?" [groan] Probably referring to a different Miss though... with her red suit I'm not sure whether "good" is an appropriate word. ;)

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 05:32 PM
ohhhhh i get it,

Terry B
22nd August 2006, 06:03 PM
How far is Armidale from here?
Not sure. How far is it across Oz?
?5000km

ubeaut
22nd August 2006, 07:47 PM
Years ago when we lived in Perth our Children started school in Grade 1 here in Vic they start in preps then go to grade 1 the next year or that's the way it used to be. This could also account for the difference in age as year 11 in WA would have been the same as year 10 in Vic.

Makes sense to me hope it does to some others too.

Cheers - Neil :)

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 07:56 PM
I started grade 1 in the same year I turned 6

La truciolara
22nd August 2006, 08:47 PM
Year 10
SO you must have done a wrong entry on your profile which shows 14 :p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2006, 09:25 PM
SO you must have done a wrong entry on your profile which shows 14

Here in Australia, shortly after he turned 6 the politicians deleted the numbers 3, 6 & 9 from our numerical system, when feminists decried them as naught but sex symbols and therefore politically incorrect. How 8 was left unscathed, heaven only knows.

So, Grade 1 @ 6 years old (when 6 was still deemed fit to be a number), 2 @ 7, then grade 4 @ 8 (no grade 3), 5 @ 10 (no age 9), 7 @ 11 (no grade 6), 8 @ 12, and finally grade 10 at 14yo (no age 13).

See? Simple! :p

They should line all the pollies up against the wall... right behind the feminists. :rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
22nd August 2006, 09:30 PM
I can answer this..With homeschooling he is not tied down to so many books a year. each subject with the Ace curriculum you do 12 books per year per subject so you are as free to go through them as much you like or as little. So if Joash averages say example 15 books per subject per book... well then he is already ahead of his age. So he put the metal to pedal and get to end of grade 12. I know there is a boy here in Australia at 13 years old was accepted to open learning because he had finished his schooling and showed the college that he was mature to get in and they let him. So that what happened here...well I would guess that what he done to get ahead his age.
Toni

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 10:27 PM
That's right, I do an average of 4-5 pages a day, and there are around 40 pages in each book.