PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for newcomer!

Gotwood
16th August 2006, 11:40 PM
G'day folks, let me introduce myself, my names Andrew and I am posting on behalf of my old man, George. He has been turning for about a year now with the Alexandra/Eildon Woodturners Guild but until now has not yet purchased a lathe for himself. This is where you guys(and girls I presume) come in. I have done some web surfing and come up with a few sources but was wondering if some of the more experienced of you could give your advice on which way to go or other options. I have found:

On eBay:
Macho 900mm x 305mm Swivel head .75 HP Buy it now - $289
RHR 900mm x 310mm 550w motor Price is at $122 with 3 days to go.

From Carbatec - The ML110 $479 and the Delta $699 which I'm sure you are all familiar with.

From what dad has said he is after a minimum of 900mm working length, .75HP(prefer 1HP) and a budget of no more than the Delta. (Prefer a lot less!) ANY advice will be much apperciated. Thanks.

Tornatus
17th August 2006, 12:25 AM
G'day Andrew

As a search of this forum will soon demonstrate, you can't go past the MC900 or 1100 as a beginner's lathe. It has variable speed and a swivel head (otherwise only found on much more expensive lathes) and while it needs a bit of "tweaking" and regular maintenance, it is simple, solid and reliable. Its idiosyncrasies are well known and extensively canvassed on this forum, so there is plenty of helpful advice readily available for the beginner.

My MC900 continues to give me sterling service, at a very reasonable cost (now if I could only stop myself from buying all these tools and chucks .....)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th August 2006, 12:31 AM
My recommendation would be to forget eBay and go with one of the Carbatec lathes. You'll know it's new and will get after-sales warranty and support.

As for which lathe, well... Tornatus has already answered that quite eloquently.

Toasty
17th August 2006, 08:52 AM
Don't forget to also budget for faceplates and/or chucks, chisels and a grinder for sharpening.

hughie
17th August 2006, 09:43 AM
My recommendation would be to forget eBay and go with one of the Carbatec lathes. You'll know it's new and will get after-sales warranty and support.

As for which lathe, well... Tornatus has already answered that quite eloquently

I go with the above, unless your capable of successfully addressing any probs that may occur in the future with second hand.

They can be cheaper in initial outlay but far more expensive in the long run, especially if you do not have the expertise to do it your self.

The Carbatec etc types lathes are made generally some where in China and re-badged for many stores/outlets here and prices may vary. So search around for the best price.

consider this link;
http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php

As Tornatus has said allow extra dollars for various bits and pieces. A MC/WL etc may give the room to do this.

good luck

Toasty
17th August 2006, 09:59 AM
As Tornatus has said allow extra dollars for various bits and pieces. A MC/WL etc may give the room to do this
*cough* Toasty *cough* ;)

Gotwood
17th August 2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks fellas for you prompt replies. Your advice will be taken on board. I probably should have pointed out that the lathes on eBay were both new lathes from online stores but you do bring up a good point with warranty and repairs. Thanks.

Rookie
17th August 2006, 01:59 PM
Gotwood I too have been looking on eBay for quite a while, for a lathe for my wife. My observations are that most of the used one's aren't worth the trouble, There's a lot of ad's between the good ones. The new ones from online stores are either a clone of the one the GMC is a clone of, and they have pressed metal beds, not cast iron so don't touch them. Or, they are the same as the Carbatec MC macines at sometimes a slightly lower price, sometimes higher.

With such a small difference on price for the same lathe, I'd rather buy from some one who has a store I can walk into and a throat to choke if I need to.

Go the Carbatec 1100. I'm waiting for the wood show and I'll get SWMBO a 900 'cos she's little, they're a bit smaller, and she won't be turning 900MM.

Also keep an eye on Hare and Forbes, and Timbecon who badge the same lathe as the wood show is a couple of months away and prices are pretty fluid around then. (expecially if Timbecon bring some over and don't want to take them back)

journeyman Mick
17th August 2006, 02:14 PM
.....................With such a small difference on price for the same lathe, I'd rather buy from some one who has a store I can walk into and a throat to choke if I need to...................

:D :D :D

Mick