PDA

View Full Version : Meet Darrad

RufflyRustic
17th August 2006, 10:48 AM
Here's my Darrad Box.

Would anyone like to guess how I came up with the name? :)

Red Suede material interior base
Leather exterior base (wrong side out) tacked on using small brass nails (great idea for hiding ugly box bottoms)
Dimensions approx 200 x 180
Lift-off lid
Finished with the normal - UBeaut's Hard Shellac, EEE and Trad Wax.
______
I've also finally finished the Bread Box. This one's been sitting around for over a year so I thought it was time to finish it. :rolleyes: It's all pine, with a pull out cutting board which I've left natural.

Cheers
Wendy

Lignum
17th August 2006, 10:58 AM
Wendy, no idea about the name, but im always so impressed with your originality when it comes to design. Well done on yet another great project and the miters show just how your skill level is coming on so quick :D :D

Stuart
17th August 2006, 11:06 AM
Because it looks the same coming or going, and it is dressed all round (Dar raD)?

RufflyRustic
17th August 2006, 01:12 PM
Greenie for you Stuart :) Guessed it in one.

Thanks Lignum, but you gotta remember that photos can hide a zillion things eg bad mitres :rolleyes: , yep, I picked the best corner and photographed that, hiding the really bad 5 mm gap mitre :o

Geez, what a blabbermouth, and after I promised I wouldn't tattle on myself:eek: :cool: :D

Using dar was an easy & cheap way to get the laminated look.

Gotta get the mitre shooting board jig built....

Cheers
Wendy

Gumby
17th August 2006, 01:25 PM
Nice job Wendles :D I like the cutting board idea, can i pinch it :)

ptc
17th August 2006, 02:08 PM
Nice bread bin.
well done again.

zenwood
17th August 2006, 02:33 PM
You're always coming up with new ideas, and I like these ideas.

Did you do the laminations, or did you buy it already laminated?

I love the idea of the leather bottom, but what's the wrong side of a nail?

AlexS
17th August 2006, 03:01 PM
Nice results Ruffly. The breadbox is a nice useful design, would look good in a rustic kitchen. The laminated box is a good variation from bog-standard.

RufflyRustic
17th August 2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks Guys

Gumbles - go ahead and pinch it, I'm sure it won't feel anything ;)

Thanks PTC

Thanks Zen, though I ripped the bread bin idea from a sunday market stall, and believe it or not, I ripped the darrad idea from a couple of my early boxes :eek: Ripping myself off, whatever next :confused: :D (thanks Zen, it's the leather that's wrong side out - I really don't know how I could ever turn nails wrong side out) I bought the 1.8 m lengths, glued them together, clamped using all my clamps and bits of offcuts screwed together and then cut them. Much easier than cutting then glueing, especially when you only have to put one length through the thicknesser :)

Thanks AlexS - Yep, trying to never do a 'bog-standard' anything - so far so good :D

cheers
Wendy

TTIT
17th August 2006, 03:35 PM
Used to wonder what DAR stood for - which is why I wouldn't have guessed that one in a hurry eh!
Very original box as always Ruffly!:D A bit bigger and it would have been a very stylish hat-box - maybe just for a cap as it is!;)
Love the bread box:):):) - I once sketched up one where the lid folded down to become the cutting board but then the breadmaker (and it's driver) disappeared so there didn't seem much point!:confused:

Wardy
17th August 2006, 03:40 PM
great boxes wendy.i like the laminations,good idea with the leather.one thing, you'll always know where the bread board is ;) :)
cheers
wardy

tonysa
17th August 2006, 09:16 PM
kewl box, what no hinges ? what woods did you use ?
make a nice chopping board if itwas right thickness
talking about thickness, what d'ya reckon about the GMC, neat little beasties aren't they ? sure create a mess of shavings don't they
neat design for the breadbox, you said you won't feel so I might have to pinch it too :)

cheers
tony

RufflyRustic
18th August 2006, 09:45 AM
I decided to go for a 19mm thick board, so it would hopefully stay 'nice' as a bread cutting board. Not that too many people slice bread at home these days, except Termite maybe ;)

No, no hinges, after thicknessing (yep the GMC:) ) the laminated length, it was really too thin for any of the hinges I had on hand. One problem I found that laminating is not as easy as it looks, especially with small dar as I ended up having to attach a couple of lengths under the lid to keep it all together so it needs to be redesigned.

Thanks
Wendy

pal
20th August 2006, 09:07 AM
Looks very nice , drill holes through all but the two outside laminations and tie the laminations together with brass rods about 100 mm apart , stops them from cupping

dan_tom
20th August 2006, 09:39 AM
Cool Wendy! Glad someone else guessed the name, I was thinking some sort of name hybrid with jarrah! But couldn't think of what the other timber would be that started with a D....

Cheers
Dan