PDA

View Full Version : Which Router

Graham99
17th August 2006, 10:08 PM
Hi there,

I'm on the hunt for a router, initially to be used hand held but eventually to end up in a table. Looking at bunnies I saw the Ryobi ERT2100K router for $129 and thought that this would be a viable proposition for a table router long term.

Is this a good way to go? Is there a better router for the application that is reasonably priced?

Regards
Graham

Gumby
17th August 2006, 10:12 PM
Yes, it's been covered countless times in here.

TRITON !

Billylad
17th August 2006, 10:42 PM
Gumpy calm down, TRITON

dazzler
17th August 2006, 10:52 PM
Hey

Yes this is a great way to go IMO. The Triton is fantastarooni with a fantastarooni price to match.

see here

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28855&highlight=dazzler+router

and here

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28207&highlight=spring (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28207&highlight=spring)

The ryobi is a powerful, variable speed, soft start 1/2 inch router that seems to have very few problems.

good luck mate

dazzler

(If you are vewy vewy quiet you can here the orange crowd sighing;) )

Auld Bassoon
18th August 2006, 06:03 PM
The main downside to the Ryobi is that it's a real screamer - and not terribly accurate in its depth of cut adjustment. The Triton is not excessively highly priced (just look at the prices of premium brands!), but the big one is really best suited to table use only.

BTW I have a Ryobi (the first router that I bought) but it's been collecting dust for a year or two now...

Gumby
18th August 2006, 06:25 PM
I'm going to shoot the next person who posts an opinion on routers in here :cool:

Ivan in Oz
18th August 2006, 06:32 PM
> BTW I have a Ryobi (the first router that I bought) but it's been collecting dust for a year or two now...

Steve,
You might have the chance of a SALE;) :rolleyes:

My Millers Falls is collecting duat without striking a blow, AT ALL; What-so-ever.
Not the US of A one,
the Clone, SMELLY, Chinese/Indian eBay one:mad: :mad: :(

Bushmiller
18th August 2006, 08:48 PM
"but the big one is really best suited to table use only."

Agreed Auld Bassoon. I have the larger Triton for table use but could not see what I was doing with it out of the table because of the dust shroud. (could be my eyes too I suppose and I could have taken the shroud off, but I am tryng to contain the dust nowadays). Previously I had a Hitachi M12V, but it died after more than 10 years of abuse. Before that a 2HP Ryobi.

Because of the Triton shortcommings (very small) and wanting a little more convenience, I ended up buyng a 2HP GMC cheapie for hand held use. It has been OK so far, but it's early days. It came with a selection of bits. All the 6mm (4 off) bits broke in the process of cutting plywood circles. I then used an 8mm bit and it is still going. I think the 6mms were faulty as I was taking very light cuts.

Regards
Paul

dazzler
18th August 2006, 09:20 PM
[quote=Auld Bassoon]The main downside to the Ryobi is that it's a real screamer - and not terribly accurate in its depth of cut adjustment.quote]

Hi Auld

built as mine has been in its neat little dust box is very quiet :)

and do my threaded riser and it is superbly, magnificently, wonderfully smoooooooth in its operation. :)

And even with that most wonderful of inventions the xtreme collet and the complete table is still cheaper than the big triton.:D

I loved my triton, but that ERT is realllllllly good value:)

BANG

Hey.......who put speed holes in my car:eek:

triden
20th August 2006, 12:26 AM
I followed Dazzlers instructions for the threaded riser on the Ryobi and am very happy with the results. The rise and fall can be adjusted above the table and is accurate in it depth of cut adjustment. Thanks Dazzler:)

dazzler
20th August 2006, 01:18 PM
I followed Dazzlers instructions for the threaded riser on the Ryobi and am very happy with the results. The rise and fall can be adjusted above the table and is accurate in it depth of cut adjustment. Thanks Dazzler:)

Cheers

I actually used mine in anger (other than with the gifkinds jig) for the first time yesterday and was really happy.

And I found that having it adjustable from above was convenient but below great as well.

I was making some dados in some huon and put a piece of 12mm mdf on top of the table for the bit to come through which covered the top.

Being able to adjust from underneath was a bonus.

dazzler

Drongo
14th September 2006, 11:18 AM
Hello All. Been reading this forum for 12 months but today took the plunge and made my very first post.
Has anyone had any specific experience with the Hitachi M12SA? I have just bought one as my very first router (for $300). From what you are all saying it might be a bit heavy for hand held work, so I will eventually have to make a table. I looked around at the Canberra Wood Show and Bunnies last weekend, and liked the look of the Hitachi, even more than the Triton (sorry Gumby!).

Have I bought the wrong one? :confused:

(btw: I think you guys are the greatest philosophers since Aristotle.)

MurrayD99
14th September 2006, 01:13 PM
Have I bought the wrong one? :confused:

(btw: I think you guys are the greatest philosophers since Aristotle.)

Looks to me like an update of the long-lived TR12. If so, you got a great router. Just a problem with not having variable speed if you were thinking of running wide bits. Any half-inch router is going to be a bit of a weight but this one isn't that heavy. One day I'll put a v-s router under the table and I guess I'll get a Triton - otherwise I'll be struck down by the philosophers - but also because it seems to be easy to change the bits... and the price...

kiwigeo
15th September 2006, 11:26 PM

Cutters can also be changed with router in the table. Im about to build a router table and will be sticking a triton in same.